Snow Shovel recommendations?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Snow Shovel recommendations?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

For those in the forum who live in cold-climate areas that tend to get snow, I post this question: Based on your experiences, what do you recommend is a good brand and good model for a snow shovel, when it comes to shovelling snow from a front walk or driveway? I see both steel, aluminum, and plastic ones, some with good ergonomics, others simply tried and true solid designs with a steel blade and wood shaft. What have you found works best for you?

I did a little web browsing and I found both traditional designs and some very odd-looking new ones, like the "Snow Wovel" that is expensive but has a wheel in the center of it, and one called the Suncast that has a large rectangular scoop and a wide tubular handle.
3rdGenRigger

Re: Snow Shovel recommendations?

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Plastic will deform more quickly at the edge than metal if you're shoveling on an abrasive medium like asphalt. I prefer an aluminum shovel, but we only shovel the steps up the deck to our front door with a shovel...the rest is done via tractor.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have a plastic shovel with an aluminum edge that is replaceable.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

xceptnl wrote:I have a plastic shovel with an aluminum edge that is replaceable.
That's what I use too. Of course, if you really want to get serious with snow removal (and you have a large area to clear), I would highly recommend getting a quality snow blower (e.g. John Deere, Craftsman, Husqvarna, etc.). Make sure to get the two stage vs. single stage style blower as it will be much more durable and will throw the snow farther. Two stage will also throw nearly all types of snow (slush, powder, light/heavy, etc.). Or, you can always do what I do and just have your wife shovel for you... (JK, of course. ;)).
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

xceptnl wrote:I have a plastic shovel with an aluminum edge that is replaceable.
That's what I use too. Of course, if you really want to get serious with snow removal (and you have a large area to clear), I would highly recommend getting a quality snow blower (e.g. John Deere, Craftsman, Husqvarna, etc.). Make sure to get the two stage vs. single stage style blower as it will be much more durable and will throw the snow farther. Two stage will also throw nearly all types of snow (slush, powder, light/heavy, etc.). Or, you can always do what I do and just have your wife shovel for you... (JK, of course. ;)).
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

If you live in a rural area, lifting your pickup can also be a viable option if you don't want to use a tractor, or don't have a tractor. Won't do much for your walk though...

---> Branden
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpyderNut wrote:
I purchased this snow shovel around last summer in preparation of the coming "epic winter snowfall". The funny part is that the local ACE hardware was running a really good sale. So this $6.99 steal came home with us.... and sat for over 14 months. My better half advised we buy one every year to ensure we will not get any significant snowfall. The best part about tearing off the tags on a mint snow shovel is not about the clearing of a driveway, but instead it is about passing on a childhood pleasure to my son. Snow shovel sledding!

p.s. nice articulation Branden. How do you like the look of the new Chevy / GMC mid-sized trucks? I was hoping for the small displacement, turbo diesel option that was rumored. Maybe next year right?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

xceptnl wrote:
p.s. nice articulation Branden. How do you like the look of the new Chevy / GMC mid-sized trucks? I was hoping for the small displacement, turbo diesel option that was rumored. Maybe next year right?
Thanks...I've done better with my 10.5" wide tires (As opposed to the 11.5" wide tires in the pictures which require the front swaybar to prevent rubbing). Without it I can get some real articulation, though I still want for a solid front axle for numerous reasons.

As to the rumour of a turbo-diesel...it's not a rumour. The new Colorado/Canyon comes out in 2015, but in 2016 a 2.8L 4 cylinder Isuzu turbo-diesel (Baby Duramax) will become a reality. If I can get one in 4 wheel drive with a manual transmission it will be my next daily driver. If it's only available with an automatic transmission I'll redo my '77 K5 Blazer instead (Which has an SM-465 already) for less money with a 383 cu. in. stroker, do 4.56 gearing, lockers front and rear, some body work, 4 or 6" lift, 35 or 37" tires...etc.

I think the styling of the new Colorado is appalling (Looks like a minivan), but the new Canyon looks alright. The biggest change though, other than exterior size is the interior, which they seem to have made some progress.

---> Branden
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Great timing! Haven't had a snow shovel since moving to SC, but given what Bear and I woke up to this morning, I might have to consider getting one this year. Too warm for this one to stick to the sidewalks as anything but slush and given that the air temp right now is around 36º, it will probably be gone completely before noon, but it's definitely not what I expected to see when I opened my front door at 6:30 AM.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I bought a cheap plastic telescoping one to mainly keep in the car for certain needs. I can certainly see a need for a rugged aluminium head version.
christopher

Post by christopher »

Don't know the shape your back is in, but I prefer the 'ergonomic' style of shovel. The other thing I highly recommend is a D handle, it saves effort when throwing the snow any distance.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

xceptnl wrote:. My better half advised we buy one every year to ensure we will not get any significant snowfall.
That sounds about right to me. Moving to Mexico or Australia might just work too.
O.