Lost my EDC flashlight (Fenix LD-01)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Re: Lost my EDC flashlight (Fenix LD-01)

Post by jackknifeh »

Have ordered an EagleTac D25C2 mini.

This is the title of the ebay add.
EagleTac D25C2 Mini NEW Upgraded XP-G2 R5 LED Flashlight - 530 Lumens

Here is the web site. I'm getting the R5 LED (cool white) in stead of the CREE XP-G S2 LED. I think this is brighter but not as good at bringing out the color of things. My understanding.
http://eagletac.com/html/d25c2m/index.html" target="_blank

Specifications:

CREE XP-G2 R5 LED (Cool White)
Max Output: 530 LED lumen, 379 ANSI OTF lumen
Beam Profile: Center lux: 5200lux; Center spot angle: 4.9°; Spill light angle: 33°
Lens: Impact resistance waterwhite glass lens; Anti-scratch sapphire coating on the outside; Anti-reflective (AR) coating on the inside
Reflector: Very light orange peel aluminum reflector
HAIII hard anodization aerospace aluminum
Waterproof: IPX-8 standard
Dimensions: Head Diameter: 0.78 inches (20 mm); Body Dia. 0.78 inches (20 mm); Length: 4 inch (103.5 mm; Weight: 1.26 ounces (35.6 grams)
Battery Type: 2xCR123A; Compatible battery size (each): Diameter: 16-17mm, Length (2 cells): 34-34.6mm, Length (1 cell): 67-69.2mm
What's included: Stainless steel bezel, Spare o-rings; Polished stainless steel pocket clip, User Manual, Rigid Nylon Holster w/ self-retention device and flip, Mil-Spec Paracord Lanyard w/ quick attachment clip

This may be to big for an EDC light but I have enough of those. BTW, I'm back to carrying my Fenix LD01. Guess I'm married to this light for EDC. Tried a few others and this one is still perfect. :) The LD01 is discontinued and the LD02 is here. May have to get one sometime. That's the "want something new" in me. :) I already know I prefer the twisty head on the LD01 compared to the button on the end of the LD02. Anyway, looking forward to getting the EagleTac. While not small enough for EDC I'm sure it is small enough to fit in a pocket for temporary use. This should help to keep me from setting it down somewhere and forgetting where it is. I can just drop it into a pocket instead.

I love the fact that EagleTac shows the OTF brightness as well as the other rating.

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Good choice Jack. I love my D25Cs. All mine are either Nichia 219 or XP-L LEDs (for tint) but it's a great light, regardless. I find it a great EDC size.

Ken
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:Good choice Jack. I love my D25Cs. All mine are either Nichia 219 or XP-L LEDs (for tint) but it's a great light, regardless. I find it a great EDC size.

Ken
I was going to get one of the lights that uses one battery but got the one that uses two instead. Since I used another CR123 battery light for EDC then went back to the Fenix LD01 I went ahead and got the D25C2 that uses two batteries. Hopefully this will suffice as a larger light that will fit in my pocket but not dedicated as an EDC. The smaller size of the LD01 is one of the reasons I like it more. I still like the D25C mini and may get one also. Who knows? :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Ah, yeah, I missed the C2. Sorry.

The D25C2 (and LC2) are very nice. I actually prefer the Zebra SC62 series in the 18650 sized lights. Nice lights. Slightly smaller. Great tints.

Ken
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Got my EagleTac D25C2 (2 CR123A batteries) mini today. This is a really great light IMO. I had decided not to get the D25C mini (one CR123A) because I have enough EDC lights and the Fenix LD01 is perfect for me. The D25C2 mini has the brightness I was hoping for and is REALLY easy to operate. The "fancy" features (flash, strobe, SOS, etc.) only get accessed after going through the "LOW-MED-TURBO" brightnesses twice. The other lights I've had with these features were either hard to remember how to access or you had to go through all of them to get to the setting you want. The twisty head on/off, brightness setting operates EXTREMELY easily. I like this light enough that I'll probably get the D25C in the near future. My extensive experience of owning EagleTac lights (one light for about 9 hours :)) tells me they are a great product. Thanks for the tips guys. :D Tomorrow night I'm going to try to get some pictures of the light it puts out compared to the Fenix LD01 (one AAA battery). So it's one AAA battery light against a two CR123A battery light. I'll just try to show the difference. It's not a "which light is better" issue. Just a comparison between the two. Don't know much about photography at night. How would you photo guys take pictures when it's dark outside and you are taking a picture of a tree or something with a flashlight shining on it?

EAGLETAC D25C2 mini

Check out the indentations on both sides of the sheath. They hold the light well enough to carry the sheath upside down (on your belt) if you want. The light won't fall out until you pull it after unsnapping the flap. A little shake or jerk and the light will fall out but the sheath holds the light pretty good.

EagleTac D25C2 mini size comparison to the Fenix LD01

Thanks Ken and everyone else who recommended these lights. Anyone who recommended something else,,, kiss my... Just kidding. :)I'll try to get pictures of the light after dark tomorrow.

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Eagletac makes great stuff and the D25 line is awesome. Kudos for the recommendation and acquisition.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Carrying the EagleTac as EDC starting this morning. It's clipped in my front left pocket just like I carry the Fenix LD01. I'm thinking it is too big for me for an EDC light but I'm going to try it out. If the size isn't a problem I'll like having the extra horse power available all the time. One thing I've already noticed is I believe the light will be very destructive regarding the pants pocket. The area under where the clip makes contact with the body of the light is just like the rest of the body. They need to put a smooth spot there just like Spyderco does on a lot of their knives. They use the Spyderco logo under the clip on Delica's, Endura's and a bunch of others I think. If I carry this light for EDC I may need to modify the light a bit. Smooth a spot under the clip with a Dremel or something. I'd like to find a product that I could apply to the body that would make it smooth. Maybe even something that could be removed if I wanted and it wouldn't have damaged the surface of the light. We'll see.

Jack
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

jackknifeh wrote:Carrying the EagleTac as EDC starting this morning. It's clipped in my front left pocket just like I carry the Fenix LD01. I'm thinking it is too big for me for an EDC light but I'm going to try it out. If the size isn't a problem I'll like having the extra horse power available all the time. One thing I've already noticed is I believe the light will be very destructive regarding the pants pocket. The area under where the clip makes contact with the body of the light is just like the rest of the body. They need to put a smooth spot there just like Spyderco does on a lot of their knives. They use the Spyderco logo under the clip on Delica's, Endura's and a bunch of others I think. If I carry this light for EDC I may need to modify the light a bit. Smooth a spot under the clip with a Dremel or something. I'd like to find a product that I could apply to the body that would make it smooth. Maybe even something that could be removed if I wanted and it wouldn't have damaged the surface of the light. We'll see.

Jack
I was thinking when i saw the EagleTac that dang 2 C123 you could just go with a Surefire 6P with Malkoff drop in. Of course I have already tried to EDC that and it was too grande. I may have missed it in the thread but why are you not just EDCing the Fenix? Some kind of pre need replacement situation?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
jackknifeh wrote:Carrying the EagleTac as EDC starting this morning. It's clipped in my front left pocket just like I carry the Fenix LD01. I'm thinking it is too big for me for an EDC light but I'm going to try it out. If the size isn't a problem I'll like having the extra horse power available all the time. One thing I've already noticed is I believe the light will be very destructive regarding the pants pocket. The area under where the clip makes contact with the body of the light is just like the rest of the body. They need to put a smooth spot there just like Spyderco does on a lot of their knives. They use the Spyderco logo under the clip on Delica's, Endura's and a bunch of others I think. If I carry this light for EDC I may need to modify the light a bit. Smooth a spot under the clip with a Dremel or something. I'd like to find a product that I could apply to the body that would make it smooth. Maybe even something that could be removed if I wanted and it wouldn't have damaged the surface of the light. We'll see.

Jack
I was thinking when i saw the EagleTac that dang 2 C123 you could just go with a Surefire 6P with Malkoff drop in. Of course I have already tried to EDC that and it was too grande. I may have missed it in the thread but why are you not just EDCing the Fenix? Some kind of pre need replacement situation?
I lost my Fenix one day and that started me on a backup search but if I were going to get a backup I also wanted a little more output. I got the Fenix E15 (one CR123A). It has more brightness but for EDC I like the LD01 more. The on/off and brightness changing of the twisty head is sort of a pain with the E15. When I decided to get the larger light with two CR123a's I wasn't thinking of it as an EDC light. I just wanted something with more output. Don't care for my MagLite that uses a bunch of D batteries anymore. Except when the wife acts up. The Eagletac doesn't hurt enough when I hit her. :) So I'm just going to try this light for EDC. I have a feeling I'll go back to the LD01 soon. I'd like to use the Eagletac through one set of batteries just to have an idea of how long they last and how many I need to keep on hand.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Ok then makes sense.

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Carried the Eagletac D25C2 mini for a month. It's a great light and for my normal attire it is NOT too big for an EDC light. For dress pants I'd carry the Fenix LD01. But the Eagletac is fine for EDC. Oh yeah, the original two batteries (Duracell non-rechargable) are still in the light and doing great.

Anyway, I got the D25C mini a couple of days ago. Gotta say this light is just as great as teh Eagletac D25C2 mini. It's just that the one-battery light isn't as bright. I have a feeling the battery won't last as long. We'll see.

If I feel the need for another light in the future Eagletac will be my first line to check. I'm sold on their lights for now. Two out of two Eagletac lights are 100% IMO. For my needs anyway.

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote: I have a feeling the battery won't last as long. We'll see.
I think you'll find that true, Jack, but it still goes a good long time. Not something you'll find yourself agonizing over.

Just remember, with either of them, if you find yourself needing more output - you can get it with Li-ions. You give up some run time (but they're rechargable, so who cares? ;) )

I resisted switching to Li-ions for the longest time. Now I'd never go back to primaries...

Ken
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've resisted going to rechargables because I only had one light that takes CR123A battieries. Then I got the Eagletac D25C2 mini (2 batteries). Now I have the D25C mini (one battery). Anyway, I couldn't see buying a charger and enough batteries for just a couple of lights. Now I don't know. I need to make sure all three will use the other type batteries. I'll probably give the Fenix (CR123A) light away. I don't see me using it now that I have the two Eagletac's.

BTW, I ordered another D25C mini this morning. It's going to be a Christmas present for my son. That's another light that could use rechargable batteries. Son would just need to switch his batteres out with me. We'll see.

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I gave my son a D25C Ti Nichia 219 LED for his birthday this year. Terrific light. He really liked it. I didn't get into the whole Li-ion discussion with him, though. Maybe one day. ;)

Ken
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've yet to get one of those D25's but hear great things (from good folks like Ken :)). I've certainly recommended them to a bunch of people, lol!

For me, perfection is an AAA light. I have a Peak Eiger on me every day with an Efest 10440 IMR. These days if I clip a AA or CR123 light it feels like I'm carrying a TV remote in the pocket. Hopefully Eagletac makes an AAA light soon.
Divo

Post by Divo »

S10-L2 Baton
http://olightworld.com/product/s10-l2-baton/" target="_blank

Small Capable light with 4 easy to use settings. (and a 5th as a kind of lock)

Easy button switch

Magnet in the back

Uses CR123 or RCR123

Affordable and of reasonable quality.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Blerv wrote:I've yet to get one of those D25's but hear great things (from good folks like Ken :)). I've certainly recommended them to a bunch of people, lol!

For me, perfection is an AAA light. I have a Peak Eiger on me every day with an Efest 10440 IMR. These days if I clip a AA or CR123 light it feels like I'm carrying a TV remote in the pocket. Hopefully Eagletac makes an AAA light soon.
^^ This ^^

Now I understand wanting more output and for you it seems like you have it all sorted which is good. For me though I have yet to run into a situation where my single AAA Olight I3S and its 80 lumens was not enough. Heck I use it mostly so I don't walk into stuff in the dark and medium mode is plenty.

Still enjoy the heck out of my various x2 CR123 lights though. Just never carry them outside of work for use with weapons.

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Blerv wrote:I've yet to get one of those D25's but hear great things (from good folks like Ken :)). I've certainly recommended them to a bunch of people, lol!

^^ This ^^

Now I understand wanting more output and for you it seems like you have it all sorted which is good. For me though I have yet to run into a situation where my single AAA Olight I3S and its 80 lumens was not enough. Heck I use it mostly so I don't walk into stuff in the dark and medium mode is plenty.

Still enjoy the heck out of my various x2 CR123 lights though. Just never carry them outside of work for use with weapons.
Your feelings are 100% in line with mine. My Fenix LD01 (single AAA) IMO is the perfect EDC light. I decided one day I wanted more output in my EDC light. I've tried a few over the years. Most recently I got the Fenix E15 (single CR123). It is brighter but the twisty head switch was hard to control. I know, picky. Anyway, now I have the single and dual CR123A battery Eagletac lights. For me both of these are fine for EDC as far as size goes. I wear jeans or shorts most of the time. I wore slacks when I was still working and I would have carried the LD01 in dressier attire. I probably wouldn't use the clip either. But all three of my favorites now (Fenix LD01, Eabletac D25C and D25C2 mini's) are good for EDC for me. But, I don't think I've been in a situation where the smaller LD01 would not have put out enough light. To me the goal of an EDC anything is for it to be small and yet still do the job. My single AAA battery Fenix LD01 fills both of these requirements.

I've had a few Fenix lights and the LD01 is the only one I've loved and kept. I also panicked the day I lost it. :eek: So far I've bought two Eagletac lights and both are great in every aspect and covers every light need I have.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

After loosing my Fenix LD01 and then searching and buying some others I now have my three favorites. Fenix LD01, EagleTac D25C mini (one CR123) and D25C2 mini (two CR123). I also got the Fenix E15 but while it's a nice light it just didn't hit the spot for me. Anyway, today I reached for my light which happened to be the D25C mini and it wasn't clipped in my pocket. :eek: :mad: While I was upset about it I wasn't as upset as I was when I lost the Fenix because I already had backups. :D In fact I've bought my son and daughter-in-law a D25C mini each for Christmas. If I didn't find mine I'd steal one of those and order another so the panic factor wasn't really an issue. The thing is I was more mad than anything I lost it. A friend found it on the ground beside the car later today. It must have gotten caught on something getting out of the car. I carry it in my front left pocket so I figure I'll blame the seat belt. So I got the GB out of my right front pocket and cut the seat belt out of the car. :D Just kidding.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

BTW, here is the site I found the best prices for EagleTac lights. Good prices, fast shipping. Just a good experience on 3 seperate purchases.

http://www.lighthound.com" target="_blank