Kite Surfer Survives Sharks..with knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Kite Surfer Survives Sharks..with knife

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

https://youtu.be/0BTgAnvKCwE" target="_blank

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/ ... 1820120307" target="_blank

Amazing. He said his brother told him to take a knife, and that knife ended up saving his life.
Knives save lives.

He stabbed the sharks in the nose, gills, and eyes.
kbuzbee

Re: Kite Surfer Survives Sharks..with knife

Post by kbuzbee »

Horrible coverage... They don't even say what kind of knife he had? What steel? How did he carry it? Typical "news" these days ignoring all the "important" aspects of the story.... ;)

Sounds like he got lucky, knife or no knife.

Ken
Donut

Post by Donut »

kbuzbee wrote:Horrible coverage... They don't even say what kind of knife he had? What steel? How did he carry it? Typical "news" these days ignoring all the "important" aspects of the story.... ;)

Ken
I'm pretty sure it was a SD (shark defense) knife! :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderEdgeForever

kbuzbee wrote:Horrible coverage... They don't even say what kind of knife he had? What steel? How did he carry it? Typical "news" these days ignoring all the "important" aspects of the story.... ;)

Ken

You and I are on the same page =) The first thing I wanted to know after reading the articles, after it was good to know he was safe, ofcourse, was, what kind of knife? what did it look like? what steel?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mmmmm....tengo mis dudas.
SpyderEdgeForever

Would he have been able to do this if he had a Pacific Salt or Byrd Cara Cara?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfingringo wrote:Mmmmm....tengo mis dudas.
Yo tambien, amigo

no pasa la prueba de olor
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Doc Dan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Mmmmm....tengo mis dudas.
Yo tambien, amigo

no pasa la prueba de olor
Es complicado creerse lo de los tiburones de seis metros... :D
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I believe Gringo is calling BS?
SpyderEdgeForever

That was one of my original questions when reading the article. Is there any evidence, aside from the kite surfer's word, that he really had to stab the sharks and survived all night like that, or, could he simply have made it up? I mean, what do you all think?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:That was one of my original questions when reading the article. Is there any evidence, aside from the kite surfer's word, that he really had to stab the sharks and survived all night like that, or, could he simply have made it up? I mean, what do you all think?
Of course he could have made it up. I can't say whether he did or not, but I can speak from my own experience. I have spent MANY thousands of hours sitting in the ocean on the deck of a surfboard and thousands more in boat and kayak fishing. Given ones vision and dexterity from that position (a surfboard-which would be more buoyant than a kiteboard) and knowing what I do about how fish attack and eat, the idea is extremely far fetched. If it makes you feel good to believe this one then go for it, but this didn't go down as reported. Twinboysdad is correct. I am calling BS, which I don't do very often because I hate being wrong and I know that anything is possible. But this didn't happen. Certainly not as portrayed in that article.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A while back there was an article on the WASP, a knife with a replaceable CO2 cartridge that freezes after the puncture to maximize the wound. As you can expect, the news crew went insane with such a "deadly weapon" (As if people can't get killed with boring knives :p).

The makers also mentioned it was a great defense tool against large animals like bears and sharks. A professional diver and website moderator who posted an article. Basically he said that in almost every shark attack testimony people equated it to being hit by a bus while in the water. The flailing and fighting couldn't be determined to actually deterring the attack or a side-note to the event.

While I think fighting is always important, even if the chance of success is slim. When you are considering the opponent is a giant creature that is more adept at stalking and killing than a hundred ninjas and has more muscle than half dozen body builders...I know that's a fight I wouldn't pick in a bar (or an underwater bar ;)).
SpyderEdgeForever

I appreciate your feedback on that, Surf. And I lean towards your conclusion, based on your experience, and the known facts of sharks and other predatory fish and such. I mean, I guess in theory it could have happened like he said, but when I first read it, I had a mix of skepticism and "wow..if that really happened."

Related question: During WW2 they made this sea-safety device and anti-shark device, I forget the name of it. Basically, it was this foldable, plastic bag that had an inflatable ring; the downed man would slide into it, and the ring would keep him afloat. It was supposed to protect him from allowing body fluids etc to get to the sharks and attract them, and, conceal his shape in the water. I wonder how much this would protect someone in real life?

Also: I notice there is an entire crop of "Anti Shark Devices" and patents. One of the more interesting ones is this Neptunic Hard Suit:
http://neptunic.com/" target="_blank

http://neptunic.com/sharksuits/" target="_blank

They make both the chain-mail type garments and the hard polymer and metal suits that are akin to a Medieval armor but made with updated materials.

As someone who spends alot of time on the water, it would be cool to get your viewpoints on the reality of these types of defenses?

A friend of mine who is into watersports and knowledgeable about mechanics told me that until technology gets to the point where we can make a suit that has the suppleness and flexibility of biology tissue, combined with the strength and hardness of synthetic materials, ie, steel and above, all of these types of suits are very limited, and only serve for special-case-situations. See, what I would like is for there to be a universal protective garment that sailors, fishermen, boaters, kitesailers, kayakers, etc could wear, that would allow them to be safe from all predatory creatures and other seathreats such as hypothermia and drowning. That is a tall order, I know =)

Here were some attempts in the past to reach this anti shark protection:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cult ... 41/?no-ist" target="_blank
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Interesting read in the smithsonian mag. I never gave much thought to "anti-shark" equipment. Ultimately, sharks don't pose much of a threat to fishermen...or to humans in general. We aren't really part of their natural food group so if they bite us its usually by mistake and they usually spit us right back out. Problem is when a 15 foot tiger shark takes a taste it can do a significant amount of damage...a mortal amount. Surfers are probably in one of the highest risk groups due to how a human on a surfboard can look a lot like a seal, sealion or turtle from below. (All of which ARE in the sharks natural food group).