hardware for swick 4 handles?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Surfingringo

hardware for swick 4 handles?

Post by Surfingringo »

I am heading to the states next month and I have a new swick 4 waiting on me there. I am thinking to make some handles when I get back here out of some nice Costa Rican hardwood but I figured it would be best to go ahead and pick up any hardware I need while I'm in the u.s.. Any suggestions on what to use and where to get it?

Thanks
bearfacedkiller

Re: hardware for swick 4 handles?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Halpern will sell hardware for like 6 bucks but you will have to pay shipping too.

You could also just get brass rod from the hardware store and pin the scales. That would be super cheap.

There are some nice mosaic pins available from some of the knifemaker websites. Just google mosaic pins.

http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/24.htm" target="_blank
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Halpern will sell hardware for like 6 bucks but you will have to pay shipping too.

You could also just get brass rod from the hardware store and pin the scales. That would be super cheap.

There are some nice mosaic pins available from some of the knifemaker websites. Just google mosaic pins.

http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/24.htm" target="_blank
Thought about just using brass rod. Do you peen the ends or just epoxy?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I'm not gonna BS you. You have pretty much exhausted my knowledge on the subject. With the mosaic I believe you can only epoxy. With the brass I believe you can do one or the other or both. Depends on how permanent you want them to be.

Google Corby bolts or Loveless bolts for another option.

I haven't done any of this but have done a bit of research planning a couple projects I haven't put together yet.

Hopefully somebody with some actual experience will chime in.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I like "knock-down" scales, personally - they can be removed for cleaning/repair as needed. The best way to attach these is to drill your hole for the pins (3/16"- 0.1875") and then counterbore a recess for screwheads. Then you can use a standard 3/16" pivot pin to secure the scales. When you tighten them down, they aren't going to move anywhere - but have the benefit of being removable.

TedP
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

phillipsted wrote:I like "knock-down" scales, personally - they can be removed for cleaning/repair as needed. The best way to attach these is to drill your hole for the pins (3/16"- 0.1875") and then counterbore a recess for screwheads. Then you can use a standard 3/16" pivot pin to secure the scales. When you tighten them down, they aren't going to move anywhere - but have the benefit of being removable.

TedP
Agreed. I also prefer to use 0.187" (3/16") screw-together pivots on my fixed blade handles for the same reasons Ted mentioned. My favorite pivots are from USAKnifemaker.com. I believe they are made from 303 grade stainless steel that has been hardened. I use KnifeKits.com to get my pivot screws, which are 2-56 thread (they have many different variations and styles to choose from. Some are quite decroative). Hope this helps.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

One thing to consider with a knife like the Swick that comes with a pre-fit sheath - if you make a set of custom scales for the blade, it might not fit in the sheath any longer without modification. This isn't always a deal-breaker because a new kydex sheath isn't too hard (or expensive) to make... but that's a project for a different day!

And one more thing - if you put scales on a knife like the Swick, it will add a bunch of weight to the blade and it won't be a lightweight neck knife any longer. It all depends on what you want out of the knife, I guess...

TedP

P.S. - I agree with Spydernut - Knifekit's 2-56 threaded pivots are really nice and easily adjustable. Keep in mind that these tiny screws have a head that is a smaller diameter than the bolt. This is why I use a very thin shim washer under the head of these screws on my Mules. USA Knifemaker's stainless pivots are also really high quality.