Cutting Board question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Cutting Board question

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am in the market for a decent low cost but durable cutting board. I know many people use wood or even bamboo with no problem but I don't like the idea of food bacteria getting into the wood grain. And I don't want plastic. I was leaning towards low cost stone, like marble or granite. I was told the granite would release radioactive particles over time: The EPA says this:

" However, since granite is generally not very porous, less radon is likely to escape from it than from a more porous stone such as sandstone. It’s important to know that radon originating in the soil beneath homes is a more common problem and a far larger public health risk than radon from granite building materials. Also, any radon from granite countertops in kitchens or bathrooms is likely to be diluted in the typical home since those rooms are usually well ventilated.

In addition to radon, the other natural radioactive material in the granite can emit radiation. However, it is extremely unlikely that granite countertops in homes could increase the radiation dose above that the normal, natural background dose that comes from soil and rocks."

This is from the following website:

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/tenorm/gra ... rtops.html" target="_blank

What do you all suggest?
Evil D

Re: Cutting Board question

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't worry one bit about bacteria, since not only are cutting boards all over the world made from wood but so are numerous butcher block tables and kitchen utensils like spoons/etc. All you need is a decent antibacterial dish soap and a scotchbrite pad and you're safe.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

And though granite does release some radiation, it's FAR FAR less than you receive from the sun every single day, and also far less than from the Radon gas you breathe every day that seeps up from the ground. Certainly non-lethal...even the Bismuth used in Pepto-Bismol is slightly radioactive (Like an awful lot of other things), but far less than you should concern yourself with because you receive much more naturally, as does everyone else. In fact, those of us that live at higher altitudes receive a lot more radiation from the sun than people that live at low altitudes, and people that fly frequently receive even more...but certainly nothing in the amount that would be concerning in the least.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

As Evil D said, wood and a good quality dish soap and scotchbrite pad...if your still concerned add a 32oz. spray bottle full of water and 2 tablespoons of Clorox bleach. I have used these things while butchering game animals and hogs/cattle for years with zero ill effects. Thought we did switch to 3/4 inch plastic boards in 2012 as our old wooden ones finally wore out.

And wood or plastic are much easier on good cutlery too.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

OldHoosier62 wrote:And wood or plastic are much easier on good cutlery too.
Exactly. Granite/glass/stone are horrible choices for a cutting board if you care about your edges.

Personally I vote for bamboo but day to day I tend to use an Epicurean. Yeah, it's plastic and I'm not thrilled using plastic but, back when we ate meat, it was nice to be able to just throw it in the dishwasher. I'm not a fan of using clorox on food prep surfaces.

Ken
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I use and recommend hardwood cutting boards. Wood, to the best of my knowledge, is considered anti-bacterial. The idea of it acting as a breeding ground for germs is just an old wives tale. You might be interested in reading this article and or Google "wooden cutting board safety". I will admit that I take the extra precaution of having two cutting boards. One is used exclusively for raw meat and vegetables that will be cooked thoroughly, the other for everything else. May not be necessary, but it can't hurt.

OTOH, I have a salad for lunch almost daily, so if there's anything I should be concerned about, it would be the possibility of human fecal contamination :eek: on the leafy green veggies I eat raw.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:OTOH, I have a salad for lunch almost daily, so if there's anything I should be concerned about, it would be the possibility of human fecal contamination :eek: on the leafy green veggies I eat raw.
No kidding, Paul. The things we are doing to our food supply are, to my mind, criminal. Feeding chickens to cows? Seriously? And who thinks spraying our wheat with Roundup (it increases "yield" by 10% sprayed right before harvest) is a safe idea. The list goes on and on....

Just wash that lettuce thoroughly, brother!

Ken
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you guys really wanna get concerned, consider that if you have your toothbrush anywhere in your bathroom, you're guaranteed to have fecal matter all over it and you brush with it everyday. This happens because when you flush the toilet, it creates a fine mist that moves pretty much everywhere through the air and gets on everything. It's just another germ/contamination on a very long list of things that we as humans are exposed to and tolerate everyday and they never harm us.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:It's just another germ/contamination on a very long list of things that we as humans are exposed to and tolerate everyday and they never harm us.
That may well be true, but it's disgusting none the less... Ugh...

;)

Ken
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Use nylon. Just Comet or bleach it once in a while, and especially after raw meats.

Please do not use a stone or glass one! Whoever invented those was a complete idiot. Why, why, oh why would you want to cut, chop, and slice with a knife on something you can sharpen it with. You'll destroy your edges instantly. Please, I beg you. I cook for a living and find nylon just fine.
- best wishes, Jazz.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Evil D wrote:If you guys really wanna get concerned, consider that if you have your toothbrush anywhere in your bathroom, you're guaranteed to have fecal matter all over it and you brush with it everyday. This happens because when you flush the toilet, it creates a fine mist that moves pretty much everywhere through the air and gets on everything. It's just another germ/contamination on a very long list of things that we as humans are exposed to and tolerate everyday and they never harm us.
This is why I don't take my phone to the john with me...though lots do. I put it against my face every day...the last place it needs to be is in the bathroom.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Invective

Post by Invective »

kbuzbee wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:And wood or plastic are much easier on good cutlery too.
Exactly. Granite/glass/stone are horrible choices for a cutting board if you care about your edges.

Personally I vote for bamboo but day to day I tend to use an Epicurean. Yeah, it's plastic and I'm not thrilled using plastic but, back when we ate meat, it was nice to be able to just throw it in the dishwasher. I'm not a fan of using clorox on food prep surfaces.

Ken
You probably know this, but make sure the meat's not too hot before you put it on the plastic cutting board!! I ruined a plastic one once by letting the meat settle on them and it melting/warping the cutting boards, so now I make sure to use wooden ones with meat.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Actually, several tests have been done Re. "the dirtiest room in the home " is, wait for it.. the KITCHEN not the bathroom !
Believe or not..
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Take a couple of food safe classes and you won't want to eat for a while, but we need some germs to build a resistance. Just wash it and don't worry about it. Don't put the nylon in the dishwasher. My wife did and it warped pretty good. Not enjoyable to cut on after that. :mad:
- best wishes, Jazz.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Invective wrote:
You probably know this, but make sure the meat's not too hot before you put it on the plastic cutting board!! I ruined a plastic one once by letting the meat settle on them and it melting/warping the cutting boards, so now I make sure to use wooden ones with meat.
Actually, those Epicurean boards (though they are some kind of plastic) handle heat just fine. I've never tried setting a hot cast iron skillet directly on mine but hot food, sanitize cycle on the dish washer... No issues.

Ken