How is an "Assisted Opening Knife" defined?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

How is an "Assisted Opening Knife" defined?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

In regards to recent laws against them, how do people and how does the law define an "assisted opening knife"? Is it any blade with a hole or thumb stud, or other mechanisms as well?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

AO's came into being to take advantage of loopholes caused by the wording of most anti-switchblade legislation. Namely, the parts that require the blade release to on the handle and the energy storage device to be a spring. AO's release by starting the blade manually and/or use torsion bars for energy storage. AFAIK, most places that consider them illegal use the same basic definition as that used for switchblades, only with a bit looser wording that eliminates those loopholes.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

The Deacon wrote:AO's came into being to take advantage of loopholes caused by the wording of most anti-switchblade legislation. Namely, the parts that require the blade release to on the handle and the energy storage device to be a spring. AO's release by starting the blade manually and/or use torsion bars for energy storage. AFAIK, most places that consider them illegal use the same basic definition as that used for switchblades, only with a bit looser wording that eliminates those loopholes.
Exactly. In over-simplified terms, an assisted opening knife springs open like an automatic knife except that the blade needs to be started manually by the user rather than being opened by a simple push of a button located on the handle of the knife. SOG assisted openers are probably more akin to autos than any other. SOG assisted openers use the same kind of coil spring as most modern auto knives and their locking mechanisms create a bias toward closure as the button (or axis mechanism) do on some of the more popular modern autos.

The main difference is that on the autos, the button actually locks the blade in the closed position until it is released, whereas with a SOG assisted knife, enough force "applied to the blade" (that's where the difference arises) overcomes the bias toward closure and allows the spring to take over.

In assisted openers made by other makers (Kershaw, Taylor Brands, etc) the "torsion bar" is not exerting pressure in the correct direction to open the blade when the blade is fully closed. Starting to open the blade changes those dynamics and the torsion bar takes over and propels the blade.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

On an additional note, a few years ago US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) attempted to make it illegal to import assisted opening knives by having them declared automatic knives. Quick action by Knife Rights prevented this from happening. Knife Rights was able to prevent ICE's measure by having the federal switchblade ban amended. The switchblade ban contains a list of exceptions to the ban. This list was amended to state that any knife that requires force be applied to the blade to begin opening to not be allowed to be considered switchblades under the law.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

"How is an "Assisted Opening Knife" defined? "
It is defined by the arresting officer and the judge at the trial.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
namal

Re: How is an "Assisted Opening Knife" defined?

Post by namal »

I saw the video a couple of days ago. I think the dog belongs to a neighbor, so most likely the parents know the owner. I wouldn't trust that mutt around any children. Ever! For me, that means it needs to go away permanently.
Our excellent online HIT-001 latest dumps - pass4sure training programs HITACHI lead you to success in the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich exam.
RanCoWeAla

Re: How is an "Assisted Opening Knife" defined?

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have a Kershaw 1870 Knockout that's my favorite edc right now. Its an assisted opener and one sweet knife. Nutinfancy even carries one of the knockouts so you know its good