MBC Filipino Grip and Hammer Grip

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tja

MBC Filipino Grip and Hammer Grip

Post by tja »

Hi all,

I've heard that MBC primarily uses the Filipino grip, although Michael Janich teaches that any grip can be used as long as it satisfies three criteria (i.e.hanging onto the knife, using the knife, and being able to count to 5 afterwards). However, I've also read that he will switch between the grips, depending on tactics. So I guess my question is, under what circumstances, is the hammer grip preferred over the Filipino grip?
For example, in some older material, (e.g. some Michael Janich's older books), he mentions that he curls his thumb prior to impact, reverting to a hammer grip. Other sources I've read seem to indicate that a hammer grip might be preferred one is defending against particularly heavy blows, to prevent the spraining of the thumb.

Cheers,
Tobias
Studey

Re: MBC Filipino Grip and Hammer Grip

Post by Studey »

Filipino to guide the edge, hammer for thrusting. After listening to Mike explain this, I often end up doing the same.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For me, hammer is pretty much perfect. It's certainly the most secure. I prob wouldn't do any grip changing either. That's not to say others can't or shouldnt.

IMHO, try out a few things and see what you think. Everyone has different limbs and comfort levels. If you watch a dozen people throw a punch they all look different and not one is particularity "right". As long as it works for that person that is all that matters.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I believe that Mike teaches to change from Filipino grip to Hammer grip while doing a "comma cut" to stop you from jamming your thumb during the first part.

I have also seen him demonstrate practicing in reverse grip, which involves a lot more of catching with the spine of the blade.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tja

Post by tja »

@Blerv: I also really like how secure the hammer grip feels as well, and I definitely agree that testing is important, and that in end, it's what works for that person that matters.

@Studey,Donut: Thank you! Your explanations were exactly what I was looking for.
Studey

Post by Studey »

tja wrote:@Blerv: I also really like how secure the hammer grip feels as well, and I definitely agree that testing is important, and that in end, it's what works for that person that matters.

@Studey,Donut: Thank you! Your explanations were exactly what I was looking for.

You're welcome. If you're gripping thr knife properly, there's little difference in strength between hammer and Filipino grips, though the edge (buh-dum-tiss) goes to hammer grip of course. Focus the grip on the last three fingers, like holding a pistol, or a judoka's grip.
tja

Post by tja »

though the edge...
=)

Thanks again Studey!

Cheers,
Tobias
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't really have any concern for the SD aspect of it but I strongly prefer Filipino grip for almost all uses that I can use it in, which is basically everything up to the point I need to make a deep slice in something and need my thumb off the blade. It just gives me more control over the blade. I prefer it so much that it influences what knives I buy and use depending on how well they feel in this grip.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hammer grip for me when forgetting about finesse and just going to town with the sewing machine technique.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Sorry I'm late to the party, but you guys did a great job of accurately answering the question on my behalf--thanks!!!

If I had to add anything, it would be that the index of the thumb provides greater accuracy when cutting and teaches beginners to get the plane of motion of the arm and the plane of the blade to coincide. That takes a lot more practice when learning with a hammer grip.

As we often express it, "When Darwin looms large" and we instinctively brace for hard impact, the hand naturally contracts and the thumb curls down into a fist. Once you get used to it, you don't even notice the change.

Thanks again for a great discussion and to all those who stepped up to answer.

Stay safe,

Mike
tja

Post by tja »

Thanks all!

@Evil D: Interesting to hear that you also prefer the Filipino grip for utility purposes!

@Mike: Thank you for your reply! It's interesting to hear that blade alignment is easier to teach with a filipino grip than with a hammer grip!

So just to clarify, does that mean that in when you start a cut, the Filipino grip is used, but prior to impact, the thumb curls down, and for thrusts/comma-cuts, the grip starts out in hammer grip?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes.

I thought Mike didn't see this thread, but he did! While listening to Mike talk today, he mentioned that having your thumb on the spine gives you more sense of where the blade is.

To paraphrase, being able to imagine touching what you're trying to cut... with your thumb, when your thumb is on the spine of the blade. It will allow you to cut with the whole length of the blade. You will start at the end of the blade closest to the pivot and cut with the entire length of the blade.

A lot of Mike's teaching goes along with "do what you know" and "do what comes natural to you". I know where my thumb is, the Filipino grip uses that as an advantage. A portion of what is taught in MBC uses what you do instinctively (if it helps you).

I agree with Mike, you practice shifting your grip, and you barely notice doing it after a while.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tja

Post by tja »

Thanks so much for clarifying and confirming Donut!