Excellent stone holders

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Excellent stone holders

Post by jackknifeh »

I got these BENCH TOOLS, BENCH COOKIES a couple of weeks ago. Then I thought maybe they would make good sharpening stone holders. These things work great. They hold the stone just as still as my stone holder does. I got a set of 4 for $10 on Amazon. Of course you only need two for a sharpening stone.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Re: Excellent stone holders

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Very good idea. I like that a lot actually! But up here on my Amazon....they are a LOT more than 10 bucks! They are 30!! So....not buying any.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Those look very cool. I hope they work as well :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Very good idea. I like that a lot actually! But up here on my Amazon....they are a LOT more than 10 bucks! They are 30!! So....not buying any.
I wouldn't buy any either. Here is the link I bought from.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z ... UTF8&psc=1" target="_blank
DeathBySnooSnoo

Thanks Jack. Not bad. Even with shipping and the exchange rate, buying it from amazon.com vs amazon.ca saves about 10 bucks!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Thanks Jack. Not bad. Even with shipping and the exchange rate, buying it from amazon.com vs amazon.ca saves about 10 bucks!

Here's the story of my purchase of bench cookies on Amazon. In addition to the bench cookie they also have a bench cone. It snaps onto the cookie and with a "point" that holds projects. Evidently Amazon has a policy I've never seen before. I think I was getting free shipping on this order but the cones are categorized as an item that they won't ship if they will loose money on shipping. Something like that. I'm not sure of the exact policy. Here's pics of the cookie and cone.

I was informed they were going to ship the cookie's but the cones would need to wait until I made another purchase and they would send the cone's in that box. I have no idea about this policy. All I know is this was completely and thoroughly unacceptable. It's rediculous. So I called Amazon. The guy on the phone was very cool. He said he could fix it and put me on hold. I ordered one 4 pack of cookies ($9.99) and one 4 pack of cones ($4.97). Total $14.96 and free shipping. That's what I wanted. When he came back he said the only way he could fix it was to send me one 4 pack of cones and three 4 packs of cookies. The price was still $14.96. I ended up with two extra 4 packs of cookies. This was perfectly fine with me. But it seems Amazon's attempt to not loose money on a shipping charge ended up loosing more than that (I assume). The whole thing is crazy not to mention just plain stupid.

I'll send you two of the cookies if you want.

Jack
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Some grippy foam glued to top and bottom of suitably-sized piece of wood would also give needed height and purchase to a benchstone, no?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

wrdwrght wrote:Some grippy foam glued to top and bottom of suitably-sized piece of wood would also give needed height and purchase to a benchstone, no?

OH NO! You have to spend more than you have to for anything to work. :) Companies hate do-it-yourselfers. :D If you do that let me say I found I like two stacked on top of each other for a preferable height. Also, I don't know exactly what kind of rubber on these things but they are VERY grippy. I would have to push A LOT harder on a bench stone to get it to move than I do when sharpening a knife. I can't wait to use them for what they are designed for. You are supposed to be able to lay wood or other materials you are working on the these things keep them from sliding. They are supposed to replace a vise for a lot of things. But I got (was supposed to get) 4 cookies. That $10 gives be a very effective stone holder. The cones are supposed to hold a project (bird house let's say) off your work bench for painting using just the tip instead of the flat surface of the cookie. Not really sure how that makes anything easier. I guess I'll find out.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Very generous of you Jack, I appreciate the offer, but no need. I'm sure that I'll eventually order some...maybe cheaper on ebay or something. That policy of Amazons seems highly stupid!

And yes I could make something similar, but I live in a small studio where there is barely room to cook breakfast, let alone try and be handy in any way, so doing it myself is unlikely.
tlo14290

Post by tlo14290 »

I use these guys all the time when routing panel edges, they work great! Check out Rockler, they have blue Rockler branded ones that seem functionally identical, but are sometimes a bit less $$$. They have little height extenders, too. Great for sanding panels on the bench, no slippee-slidee. The little cone things are real nice when staining, you can flip the panel over and stain the other side right quick without messing up the stain. (I use oil type stain, don't try it with gel stain.)

Never tried them with a bench stone, but I would be leery of getting any honing oil on the rubber faces, they're pretty soft, and it seems like it might degrade them really fast.

I really like them, they will hold a flat panel still better than you might think. Good stuff!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I agree, tlo. I use the rocker models with the screw-post bench dogs. Best way to hold things up off your bench when you need to edge route them. And Rockler can be a good price if you look for the free shipping and discount codes.

TedP
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been using some sheet rubber like a lot of plumbers use on commercial jobs and that stuff works great as well. But I must admit I'm going to try those Bench Cookies because I already like the way it raises the stone to a more workable level.

I bet those Bench Cookies have a lot of applications and many uses for all kinds of skills. Is Amazon the only source to get these? I'm hoping that one of the major mail order houses like Garrett Wade or JapanWoodWorker or someone else might have them. I haven't had good luck with Amazon myself.

I would also be curious as to what other gadgets this company might have on the market?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here is Rockler's site. They have lots of gadgets it seems.

http://www.rockler.com/power-tool-acces ... creative=e" target="_blank
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

What I've found to be my preference is to use the cookies as an elevator for my stone holder. Use as many cookies as you want. Here are pics of one and two cookies. They are on my home made sharpening pond which has a mirror base. What might look like the bottom cookie is actually a reflection.

ONE COOKIE HIGH

TWO COOKIES HIGH

I made a stand to raise my stone holder from scrap wood. I like these cookies a lot better. I ordered a set of the Rockler ones for my workshop. I'm sure they are as good as the Bench Dog cookies but they come with accessories that look invaluable. I think my Bench Dog cookies will be Christmas presents.

I read a review where someone said they used 4 of them to keep his cutting board from sliding on the counter.

Jack
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jackknifeh wrote:What I've found to be my preference is to use the cookies as an elevator for my stone holder. Use as many cookies as you want. Here are pics of one and two cookies. They are on my home made sharpening pond which has a mirror base. What might look like the bottom cookie is actually a reflection.

I made a stand to raise my stone holder from scrap wood. I like these cookies a lot better. I ordered a set of the Rockler ones for my workshop. I'm sure they are as good as the Bench Dog cookies but they come with accessories that look invaluable. I think my Bench Dog cookies will be Christmas presents.

I read a review where someone said they used 4 of them to keep his cutting board from sliding on the counter.
Jack I have that very same stone holder that you have pictured in this post. I got mine from Garrett Wade and it is nice that you can clamp the stone with it. I also like your idea of using those Bench Cookies to elevate it. Most people don't realize that when sharpening a big knife like a big Bowie or a big culinary blade that to do a great job you must elevate it to give yourself the versatility to be able to hone the entire blade. I also like that type of set up for doing my fixed blades. I just got blessed with two great J.A. Henckels culinary blades last week and I'm going to sharpen them in the next two days and this will be a great set up. I'm definitely going to get these. I will probably get about 4 or 6 of them because it looks to me that these units would also aid in sharpening and working on many big edged tools like axes, hatchets, machetes ect, Great pics.