Anyone into "traditional" folders?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Re: Anyone into "traditional" folders?

Post by jackknifeh »

You never know what is near your home. There is a small hardware store in my town that has had a pretty nice selection of Case and Schrade traditional pocket knives for several years. I went in there and picked up a Case peanut with pocket worn red bone. I was looking for the peanut with a bail (for keychain) and scissors instead of the smaller blade. They didn't have the knife with scissors. The owner told me another hardware store in town had a bigger selection. I went there and found myself in traditional pocket knife heaven. LOTS of knives. I HAD NO IDEA. I've done business at this store but it was many years ago. I wasn't into knives then. I don't remember if they had this many knives then or not. I'll get a few pictures when I go there next. I picked up a Case toothpick at this store along with a knife kit for putting together a wooden Case toothpick. Like the wooden D'fly. This will be a nice project for me and 4 year old grandson. :D If he likes this one I'll get more wooden knives including the D'fly. Wife thinks he's too young to learn about knives. Personally, I think it's better to get him involved and educated about tools he will without a doubt be using. I can see her mentality with guns. She doesn't want him to learn about guns. I think guns are important but I can see someone not learning about guns. Knives OTOH are a very common tool that you need often. I seldom NEED to fire my pistol. Anyway, do you know what this means??? It means Jackson (grandson) and I will have a secret in a few years. :) Along with his father (my son). :D I think a child needs to know at least enough about guns to take away some of the mystery and enough to know not to look down the barrel. :)

Here's the two new knives. Sorry about the poor pictures.

Here they are with my GEC buckaroo. This is the extent of my current traditional pocket knife collection. :)

I'm not knocking Case, just mentioning an observation. The edges on these two Case knives (and the GEC for that matter) were not at all good. I doubt if even a sharp edge non-compulsive would be happy with the edges that came on these knives. I'd like to praise Spyderco again on the average edge that comes on their knives. IMO 80% of new Spyderco's are very sharp. 5% are SUPER sharp and 15% are on the dull side. Percentages are guestimates of course but reasonably close based on my experience. I've gotten the edges sharp now. The toothpick has a very slight recurve. I sharpened it keeping the recurve. The peanut is my favorite of the two Cases. It has the half-stop when opening and closing the blades. I really wish the GEC had that. :( :)

Jack
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

xceptnl wrote:My newest and a most interesting pair. As far as I know, a Case "Walnut Rope Knife" circa 1978

The best part is that one is for me and the other is for my friend in Germany.
The 11031SH I presume? Your two examples look great. I love that model and was fortunate to find one from 1970 at a local show. Still keen on getting an 1199 Whaler and 6217 Loom Fixer to make a sheepsfoot set eventually.
~ Nate
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like the 11031SH and the pocket worn peanut. In fact I'm carrying a C.Platt Sons Stag Peanut right now. The Dragonfly makes an excellent keychain knife attached to a good sized ring by way of a smaller ring like the one that comes with a Maglite Solitaire to let it swivel better. It not too large but can handle anything up to and including self defense if that's all you have. By putting your little finger through the larger ring which acts as an extension of the handle you have a mini Karambit.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jujigatame wrote:The 11031SH I presume? Your two examples look great. I love that model and was fortunate to find one from 1970 at a local show. Still keen on getting an 1199 Whaler and 6217 Loom Fixer to make a sheepsfoot set eventually.
Correct on the model. I assumed stainless, but after re-profiling on the medium stone, I think thought these could have been a really wear resistant steel. The almost mirror-like blade finish was deceptive. Slicing a few apples yielded no sign of staining, but after cutting up some steak later that night, the beautiful purple and blue hues came out. I polished back to perfect with Flitz until I decide how I want to utilize this knife in my rotation.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Got another traditional pocket knife. This is one I've wanted for a long time. It's a Case peanut with one clip blade and a pair of scissors. The scales are burnt stag. I also wanted this one for the bail allowing it to be a key-chain knife. This particular knife model is a dealer exclusive. It is a Case peanut with the bow-tie shield with "ORVIS" on it instead of "Case".

CASE PEANUT W/SCISSORS AND BURNT STAG

Here is a new picture of my traditional pocket knife collection.
Top left: Case peanut (pocket worn red bone scales)
Top right: Case peanut (scissors and burnt stag scales)
Bottom left: Case toothpick
Bottom right: GEC buckaroo (burnt stag scales)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I gave collecting peanut model pocket knives some thought. I like the size for a small EDC and they aren't terribly expensive. Then I went to a hardware store in town where there is a large selection of Case pocket knives. They have a collection of peanut knives already in a wooden case with glass top. I don't know how many knives are in the case but I'll guess at approx. 40 Case peanuts. If I do choose to collect peanut knives hunting and getting specific knives seems to be a big part of the fun. Therefore I didn't get the pre-collected collection. Of course the $1500.00 price had nothing to do with my decision. :)

Jack
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I have a few traditional folders. They're nice to have around.
Waco

Post by Waco »

One of my Case Copperlocks. This one is a Carhartt version with stainless steel liners, Delrin handles, and a satin finish. It definitely seems more like a work knife than my other Copperlocks.

When you are sitting behind a desk all day, a small traditional knife that disappears in your pocket makes a lot of sense.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Newest traditional. Been waiting since early summer for this beauty. Sambar stag on this one is jaw-dropping!
*Landon*
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

Traditional slipjoints will always be my first love in the knife world. I still EDC the same Buck 301
Stockman that I've had since I was sixteen. Between my Delica and my LM Wave, I wouldn't really need it, but I always give it pocket space, and it is the knife that comes comes out for everyday cutting tasks.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have probably around 200 Case knives. The main patterns I collect are the:

1 087 pen
087 jack
087 stockman
2 Drop point Russlock
3. Swayback Jack
Swayback Gent
4. Canoe

My latest acquisition however is a Red Bone single blade Teardrop Gent and I have my eye on a Bulldog brand 31/2" Tobacco Canoe that is larger than a Butter bean but smaller than a regular Canoe
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I have probably around 200 Case knives. The main patterns I collect are the:

1 087 pen
087 jack
087 stockman
2 Drop point Russlock
3. Swayback Jack
Swayback Gent
4. Canoe

My latest acquisition however is a Red Bone single blade Teardrop Gent and I have my eye on a Bulldog brand 31/2" Tobacco Canoe that is larger than a Butter bean but smaller than a regular Canoe
I didn't know we had a knife store in my town til about a month ago. I knew a small hardware in town had a selection of Case knives and I stopped in. He had about 40 knives I think. But he said the "other" :) hardware store had a much larger selection. So I went over there and sho nuff he had two long glass cabinets and an entire wall of Case knives. Others too but I'd say 90% were Case. Between the two stores I ended up with two knives. A peanut with pocket worn red bone and a toothpick with blue bone. I forgot. I went there looking for a peanut with scissors and stag scales. Neither store had one. I came home and found one on orvis.com. It was a dealer exclusive and "Orvis" is on the shield instead of "Case". I do wish they had some other brands but it's a great selection. They have a cabinet with a collection of peanuts for $1500. I don't know how many knives are in it. Lots. :)

PS
I forgot to say I never have gotten the numbers and patterns figured out. Different companies have different ways to number or name their knives. Or maybe they are close but I don't understand it. I like the patterns you collect though. Stockman is about the only type knife I remember having when I was a kid. I don't remember knowing it was a stockman. I just remember the 3 blades the same as they are today. I do remember thinking there was more than one blade in case one gets dull. :)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

You should go to the w.r. case web site and find the Case college heading. It explains everything you ever wanted to know about Case knives and while there I invite you to join the Case Collectors Club of which I'm life member.
Just to answer a little bit of confusion though the first number in the model number is handle material bone being 6 stag 5 etc. The next number is number of blades and the last two are pattern number
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

RanCoWeAla wrote:You should go to the w.r. case web site and find the Case college heading. It explains everything you ever wanted to know about Case knives and while there I invite you to join the Case Collectors Club of which I'm life member.
Just to answer a little bit of confusion though the first number in the model number is handle material bone being 6 stag 5 etc. The next number is number of blades and the last two are pattern number
I joined the collector's club several days ago and I'm getting a number to join the forum. I think I got the number in an email but I can't find the message. I asked Case to re-send it. How do you have 3 model 87 knives of different types? This is what gets confusing (because of my lack of knowledge). :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

xceptnl wrote:Newest traditional. Been waiting since early summer for this beauty. Sambar stag on this one is jaw-dropping!
That is one dang good looking knife!! Very nice! I'd love to get one...but not a huge stag fan. I've got a couple, but prefer wood or bone.

Did pick up a Washington Jack (2 blades) in ebony...looking forwrd to that one.

Also, if anyone likes a large slip joint. The GEC #21 is a big ole knife, great fit and finish too.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The 087s are my favorite of all Case knives because for me they are the perfect size. The reason for three different ones is because there is a Pen knife, Jack knife and stockman all made on the same handle and there have never been a lot of them made. The pen is 32087 etc. depending on handle and the Stockman is 63087 and I'm not sure if the Jack has the same number as the pen or not right now.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

More traditional eye candy.

*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

That thing looks pretty awesome Landon, congrats!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

xceptnl wrote:More traditional eye candy.

Beautiful knife. Beside the Spyderco Caly 3.5 (I think) it shows it's size perfectly. "Looks" a bit big to carry in a front pocket. But,,, I've never had a traditional folder that big so I don't know. I'm going to put a GB or something in the bottom of my pocket to see how big it feels. If I can live with that I know I could live with some of the larger traditionals I've seen. Some are really gorgeous. Yours is. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Donut wrote:That thing looks pretty awesome Landon, congrats!
Thank you Brian
jackknifeh wrote:Beautiful knife. Beside the Spyderco Caly 3it shows it's size perfectly. "Looks" a bit big to carry in a front pocket. But,,, I've never had a traditional folder that big so I don't know. I'm going to put a GB or something in the bottom of my pocket to see how big it feels. If I can live with that I know I could live with some of the larger traditionals I've seen. Some are really gorgeous. Yours is. :)
It is only slightly larger than the #15 Boy's Knife. I am very happy with the size and I carry mine in a pocket sleeve.
*Landon*