Help me find lanyard cord!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
phillipsted

Re: Help me find lanyard cord!

Post by phillipsted »

Also keep in mind that the cordage made from Technora, Spectra, Kevlar, and the like are super strong. As in - they can be incredibly difficult to work with for knotting purposes. I gave up on trying to use some Kevlar micro-cord for a lanyard I was making. It was incredibly tough to cut to size, it abraded my skin as I was tying it, and I couldn't use my Bic lighter to melt the ends to seal them off.

I'm just sayin'... :cool:

TedP
Evil D

Re: Help me find lanyard cord!

Post by Evil D »

phillipsted wrote:Also keep in mind that the cordage made from Technora, Spectra, Kevlar, and the like are super strong. As in - they can be incredibly difficult to work with for knotting purposes. I gave up on trying to use some Kevlar micro-cord for a lanyard I was making. It was incredibly tough to cut to size, it abraded my skin as I was tying it, and I couldn't use my Bic lighter to melt the ends to seal them off.

I'm just sayin'... :cool:

TedP

This Z-line stuff has a weird stiffness to it, you can stand up 12 inches of it and it won't bend over. It does melt with a lighter though. The inside is composed of 100s of very fine white strands, almost looks like spider webs. It does hold a knot rather well but takes quite a bit of force to really tighten the knot down. They claim that knot holding is one of it's strengths as well as clinging to things when you wrap it around branches/etc. I haven't made any lanyards yet but I made a couple bracelets.