Variable Serrated/Plain Edge?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Variable Serrated/Plain Edge?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have an interesting idea for a knife, but I want to run it by you all. We here on this forum are used to plain edges, serrated edges, and combo edges. Is it possible to make a knife blade that has a variable edge that can go from plain to serrated, short of some shape changing smart material? As an example: Say you made a knife that has a plain edge, but, it has a steel blade sleeve that you can slide over the plain edge, that would be serrated, for those times you need a serrated edge, and the steel blade sleeve locks onto the original blade. Ofcourse, there are blade change systems that use two different blades. Another idea: A section of the blade can have serrations that somehow retract and extend from the base of the blade, controlled through a screw-system of some kind?
farnorthdan

Re: Variable Serrated/Plain Edge?

Post by farnorthdan »

Sounds complicated, what about a knife with two separate blades?
Invective

Post by Invective »

I think in 99% of cases a Dyad would work better than the system you are describing.
SpyderEdgeForever

Invective wrote:I think in 99% of cases a Dyad would work better than the system you are describing.

I like the dyad approach, and my only wish for those is that there would be more models, with more blade variations.

One Spyderco dyad I would love to see: Plain Edge and Serrated Edge, one each, either spear point, or, drop point, like a double-Native of some kind.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

How about a tusk with a serrated hawkbill in place of the marlinspike?
SpyderEdgeForever

Surfingringo wrote:How about a tusk with a serrated hawkbill in place of the marlinspike?

That would be practically perfect. Except, I would prefer the size to be closer to an Endura or Pacific Salt, as far as blade length and handle size goes.
And, I would prefer FRN handle scales, personally.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I have an interesting idea for a knife, but I want to run it by you all. We here on this forum are used to plain edges, serrated edges, and combo edges. Is it possible to make a knife blade that has a variable edge that can go from plain to serrated, short of some shape changing smart material? As an example: Say you made a knife that has a plain edge, but, it has a steel blade sleeve that you can slide over the plain edge, that would be serrated, for those times you need a serrated edge, and the steel blade sleeve locks onto the original blade. Ofcourse, there are blade change systems that use two different blades. Another idea: A section of the blade can have serrations that somehow retract and extend from the base of the blade, controlled through a screw-system of some kind?
I think If I have to carry a secondary "blade sleeve" I may as well carry a second knife completely. The Dyad does seem like the most sensible approach so far.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I would love to see a piece with a main PE blade made of one of super steels, SE H1 and a nice pair of scissors.