Anyone Live in Houston?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
mikebandw186

Anyone Live in Houston?

Post by mikebandw186 »

I'll be moving to Houston next week, and I'm wondering if there is anything you guys want me to know.

I'm already hearing about humidity. It will be quite the difference from Colorado living!
3rdGenRigger

Re: Anyone Live in Houston?

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I don't live there but have visited numerous times because both of my younger sisters took their Vocal Performance Degrees at Rice University. Hotter than I like personally (And more humid too), but the food there was excellent and people were more friendly than in lots of places I've visited in the US. Texas is great as far as I'm concerned.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

The weather will be very different from CO. Winters are really mild.

There are a lot of really good restaurants and lots of traffic. What would you like to know?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

It's a nice place, it's hard not to like. Lived there, lots of family there.
Just embrace sweating, and you will adjust. Sweating is good right. :)
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

Enkidude wrote:The weather will be very different from CO. Winters are really mild.

There are a lot of really good restaurants and lots of traffic. What would you like to know?
The weather is going to be quite a drastic change!

My question was more along the lines of how humidity will affect knives and firearms. I was told that a dehumidifier packet inside the gun safe will keep rust at bay. But that seems too easy.

Have you had more rust problems than expected?
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Great restaurants and Texas is known for excellent smoked brisket, sausage and beef barbeque, it's awesome! I understand there are some folks that approach beef/pork/regional barbeque as a religious matter, but they produce some delicious food. Texmex food, Fajitas and blackened red fish are also excellent in Houston.

The weather can be challenging, but give it ten minutes, it'll change.

Get a coworker reference for a relator to help you find a good place to live, even if you are not going to buy a home. Location will directly impact your living quality and driving time.

Two things to always remember about Texas:

1. Never, ever, not even once, say anything bad or disparaging about Texas, even as a joke.

2. Always drive politely, road rage can end badly.

Visit NASSA and the The San Jacinto Monument, the Gulf has great fishing, shrimp and oysters.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mikebandw186 wrote:
Enkidude wrote:The weather will be very different from CO. Winters are really mild.

My question was more along the lines of how humidity will affect knives and firearms. I was told that a dehumidifier packet inside the gun safe will keep rust at bay. But that seems too easy.

I don't live in Texas, but I put silicon packets in each of my Spyderco boxes with my knives just for good measure, but have never had an issue with them rusting in the box. As for gun safes, there is a particular cat litter that is made from silicon pellets and you can use an Altoids tin to make a large/cheap moisture killer.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

mikebandw186 wrote:

Silicon packets have been working for me with my firearms and ammo. I don't keep any with my knives.....and I've paid the price. I lived in Austin for many years and never had any problems. Houston is a whole different animal. I recommend using protection on all your metal implements.