Help me find lanyard cord!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Help me find lanyard cord!

Post by Evil D »

I'm looking for this type of cord commonly used for stylus tethers, and can often be found on the lanyards that comes with electronics like cameras, etc. It's a very small gauge cord that is very strong for its size. I can find plenty of places to buy the tethers themselves, but I would love to get my hands on an entire roll/spool of this stuff to make my own paracord style lanyards. Any ideas?

Here's the best picture I can find showing similar cord.

OldHoosier62

Re: Help me find lanyard cord!

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Try CountyComm. They keep an assortment of sizes available.

Also, search "dummy cord"...mil speak for on body tethers for small gear.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

May not be quite as thin as the stylus tether cord, but you might want to have a look at this stuff.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:May not be quite as thin as the stylus tether cord, but you might want to have a look at this stuff.

Paul I believe that's exactly what I'm looking for, and even comes in colors. Excellent job sir. I believe the 1.25mm is exactly what I have in my hand.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I use braided fishing line, lot's of colours, strong, multiple thickness/strengths to choose from, cheap. Buy it anywhere, I just ordered,(fleabay), 2 spools grey and blue, 100m each of 300lb line for $20.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

What spyderg said. Look up braided Dacron. Very strong material! I have a couple of necklaces i made from the stuff that I hang my salt knives on. I've been wearing them 24/7 for close to two years...in the ocean everyday with almost no sign of wear. Comes in all kinds of colors.
Corvid1

Post by Corvid1 »

Have you checked lighthound.com. The site seems to have a fairly large supply of lanyard supplies.

Good luck!

tim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure about fishing line...how thick does it get? I'm not looking for super fine, the line I'm using (ordered) is about the same thickness as a single strand of nylon cord that you find inside 550 paracord. I know some ocean line gets that thick but how stiff is it as a result?

I already ordered 50 feet of the z-line..
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:Not sure about fishing line...how thick does it get? I'm not looking for super fine, the line I'm using (ordered) is about the same thickness as a single strand of nylon cord that you find inside 550 paracord. I know some ocean line gets that thick but how stiff is it as a result?

I already ordered 50 feet of the z-line..
It's heavy gauge line. Here's an example. http://www.tuf-line.com/products_Braided-Dacron_7.html" target="_blank

It goes up to 5mm in diameter.

That z-line will probably serve you just fine though.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Even the 5mm line should be "soft" and flexible. I'll report once mine gets here but I've got some about 3mm and it's very soft and flexible but strong as ****. Looks nice Braided with heat shrink on the ends.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well my Z-line came in, and it's not the same thing as the lanyard/tether cord I was looking for, and it's much stiffer than I expected. It has a kind of memory to it, you can stand 12+ inches of it straight up from your fingers and it won't fall over, bend it etc and it holds a shape. It isn't exactly wiry but it doesn't flop/hang the way I would want a lanyard to so I'm not sure how it'll work for that application since I don't want a knife lanyard to stick straight out from the butt of the knife and not hang loosely. Still, it's some really strong cord and I'm sure I'll find something interesting to use it for. I may hit up my local sporting goods store and check out the dacron line and see what I can find.
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

Check out R and W Ropewarehouse, they have a decorative line of cord called "Handy Hundred" that comes in sizes from .9mm to 1.8mm in several colors. Look in the Decorative Knots section. I believe they also carry dacron and spectra line. Also check Atwood Rope. They have some braided line in 1/8 and 1/16 diameter. You could also use "Type 1" paracord or accessory cord.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Here's the stuff I'm talking about. I have plenty. I'm going to the states in November. If you can wait a month I'd be happy to mail you some.
Donut

Post by Donut »

While I was at a gun show, I usually stop at the cordage guy's stand. I picked up a 300 foot roll of Nano Cord for some smaller stuff. I forget what I paid for it. Someone else says it's rated for 36 lbs.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Black-Atwo ... USA--18376" target="_blank

I also have some 200 lb rated kevlar cord that's pretty thin, but that's kind of expensive and the wax will rub off, so I don't think it's that good for general use.

http://www.uniquetitanium.com/Kevlar-Su ... p_394.html" target="_blank

I don't know if you know this or not, but under what seems like a really high quality lanyard is just smaller cordage poked through the larger cordage and a knot.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

You might be interested in the other stuff. Here are a couple pictures of that.

Let me know if you want me to send you... 20 feet of it. There's no way I will ever make it through 300 feet of this stuff. I think I've used 1 foot so far.

I kinda messed up the focus on this last one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

By the way, this is what I use it for. I tie these "locators" :p to my lights with a low low... that don't have a locator flash or something glowy built in.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Hey, Evil. Just saw this thread and wanted to chip in another couple of options. First is some stuff called "Handy Hundred Cord" which comes in three diameters (0.9mm 1.4mm, and 1.8mm) and a bunch of colors. Good stuff. http://rwrope.com/knot-tyers/twine-and- ... -cord.html

The second option is what they call "Type 1 Accessory Cord" - and this stuff is just like a very thin 450/500 cord. Also comes in lots of colors. http://rwrope.com/knot-tyers/twine-and- ... ssory.html http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm? ... gory_ID=21

You could also look for Kevlar kite line. It is usually in the range of 0.7mm-0.8mm in diameter and is (needless to say) very strong - but it happens to be pretty expensive... http://www.amazon.com/ASR-Outdoor-Kevla ... +kite+line

TedP
Donut

Post by Donut »

That hundred cord looks pretty interesting. I might have to pick some up.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Try CSC Technora. It's less than 2mm thick, very abrasion resistant, and holds 600lbs.

http://gearward.com/collections/frontpa ... cord-small" target="_blank
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

You might also check out REI or similar out door/climbing store for some Perlon, I know REI has many types, colors, and diameters.