Mora Bushcraft advice

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dewildeman

Mora Bushcraft advice

Post by dewildeman »

I bought a Mora Companion last year for a good price and stuck it away. I've been looking at some bushcraft knives and I remembered the Mora. I thought it had a full scandi grind but it appears to have a micro bevel. Should I leave it alone or attempt to do a full scandi? I have a Sharpmaker, retired Lansky and several benchstones. I still plan to get a more robust bushcraft knife in the future. Thanks.
Trout Hound

Re: Mora Bushcraft advice

Post by Trout Hound »

A Companion should have a full Scandi grind from the factory. As for sharpening, it seems to me that putting a secondary bevel on a Mora defeats one of the best features of the knife. You may not need anything more "robust" than the Companion. That knife is likely to take any abuse you can dish out in the woods for years to come. I love my Clipper, and I feel quite confident with it in the wilderness.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
jinmo

Post by jinmo »

I have run into the same issue, a tiny microbevel on my mora's.

When you sharpen it thin out the bevel then you can decide if you want to add that microbevel back. I wouldn't bother with it until the initial sharpness wears down.
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

Wow, that really surprises me. I hadn't noticed it, but I'll have to look closer. I never thought we'd catch Mora putting microbevels on Scandis. I agree though; I'd use it until it needs sharpening, and then I'd grind that sucker flat. (Actually, I took my Mora straight to a piece of 600 grit wet/dry. I love that knife, and the razor sharp factory edge is impressive, but I wanted it to have some teeth for outdoor use.)
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

In general, Mora knives have always been made that with with very light hollow grinds with a micro-bevel. They look like a continuous flat, but they are not. This is often why people complain about very low edge durability when they first get them because the edge is actually hollow ground and can collapse behind that micro-bevel. In regards to sharpening with or without a micro-bevel, there is much mysticism about that and the raw reality is that you can find actual people living in those traditional places that do not sharpen flat to the bevel as that is very inefficient and not all Mora knives even have that grind :

dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

Thanks for the replies. I did a little searching on different online knife stores and did find a couple of mentions of "micro bevel" and "micro edge". It probably won't make a difference in the long run. I did take it camping last week, the only things I had to cut was a steak and some persimmons I found in the woods.