Is black timascus another name for zirco-ti?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Strong-Dog

Is black timascus another name for zirco-ti?

Post by Strong-Dog »

Talking with a maker about a custom I'm having made, and just want to be sure. Is it just a name situation like with Moku-ti and Timascus, or is it something different? Thanks
Mike Blue

Re: Is black timascus another name for zirco-ti?

Post by Mike Blue »

timascus is a laminated material that uses different alloys of titanium.

zirco-ti is also laminated but uses titanium and zirconium alloys to achieve the pattern.

The moku-ti refers to the process, e.g., mokume. There can be considerable overlap between the mokume process and forge welding.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Mike Blue wrote:timascus is a laminated material that uses different alloys of titanium.

zirco-ti is also laminated but uses titanium and zirconium alloys to achieve the pattern.

The moku-ti refers to the process, e.g., mokume. There can be considerable overlap between the mokume process and forge welding.
Thank you for your input, I know that however. I was asking if the black timascus (fro alpha knife supply) is just zirco-ti under another name
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

FYI, Zirconium is some nasty stuff to use in the workshop. It is pyrophoric and at high temperatures, it aggressively oxidizes and combusts. In fact it is the main explosive primer in the U.S. BLU-97/B Combined Effects Incediery Bomb.

I don't think this is an issue for using Zirco-Ti for a knife. I just wouldn't want to try and make any Zirco-Ti in my workshop...

TedP
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Strong-Dog wrote:Thank you for your input, I know that however. I was asking if the black timascus (fro alpha knife supply) is just zirco-ti under another name
Marketing names can be confusing. They are different chemical alloys. I can't find the specific materials specs to know if the zircon-ti is as dangerous it could be. I suspect that it's fairly stable for making scales or spacers for knifemakers. I would be interested in the chemistry of the materials myself.

The titanium damascus had some early issues while in development as it too, can be fairly exciting when hot and exposed to a fresh source of oxygen. Nothing that temperature and atmosphere control couldn't solve.
Last edited by Mike Blue on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Yes it is :)

Black Timascus™ is a product by Alpha Knife Supply. It is indeed a combination of titanium and zirconium. And its also refered to as ZircoTi or ZircuTi. But the trademark name is Black Timascus™. :)
The way Black Timascus is made is part of its success. If the billet is not made correctly, it will delaminate. We spent months testing Black Timascus and developed the process before releasing the material. Black Timascus can be used for frame-locks.
Black Timascus can only be annodized by heat.

The White Timascus on the otherhand is an alloy of 2 types of titanium.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

IG-88 wrote:Yes it is :)

Black Timascus™ is a product by Alpha Knife Supply. It is indeed a combination of titanium and zirconium. And its also refered to as ZircoTi or ZircuTi. But the trademark name is Black Timascus™. :)
The way Black Timascus is made is part of its success. If the billet is not made correctly, it will delaminate. We spent months testing Black Timascus and developed the process before releasing the material. Black Timascus can be used for frame-locks.
Black Timascus can only be annodized by heat.

The White Timascus on the otherhand is an alloy of 2 types of titanium.
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for
Chuck Bybee

Post by Chuck Bybee »

I apologize for my late reply. I was sent a link to this thread this morning.

Black Timascus™ was released in 2007, years before the competitor. The two materials are similar, but they are not the same.

Black Timascus™ can be anodized to achieve different colors. Heat must be used to get the dark black oxide on zirconium. Black Timascus can be used on the lock side of a folder. The competing material specifically states it should not be used on the lock side. This is because it has problems with delamination.

Chuck
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

phillipsted wrote:FYI, Zirconium is some nasty stuff to use in the workshop. It is pyrophoric and at high temperatures, it aggressively oxidizes and combusts. In fact it is the main explosive primer in the U.S. BLU-97/B Combined Effects Incediery Bomb.

I don't think this is an issue for using Zirco-Ti for a knife. I just wouldn't want to try and make any Zirco-Ti in my workshop...

TedP
So, basically, don't get too close to the BBQ grill or your knife might become a hand grenade! :eek: :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050