A VERY odd flashlight...square and flat?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

A VERY odd flashlight...square and flat?

Post by Blerv »

For the longest time people have asked for a long and flat flashlight. There are many problems with this concept but also ways to get around it if you squint hard and give up a few things.

About 12 months ago I ordered The Iain Sinclair Eon Extreme2 Floodlight which is the latest evolution of the concept. it takes the interesting design a step further with a Micro USB cord to charge an internal 750mah battery and rather than using oddly tinted 3mm LED it seems to have two Cree XM-L2's which are a nice white tint. Well, the light just arrived. Ordered from the UK, made in Hong Kong, and shipped from California. The way I figured IF I got the light it would either be crap or very interesting, luckily it's a nice little product. :D

Pros:
1.5 ounces, 3-6mm thick depending on the place of measurement, and about 5cm long. It's like a bulbous aluminum credit card which make it pretty comfortable in the pocket. Two clicks starts it on low (about as bright as an iPhone camera), three clicks starts it on high (a true about 300 lumens; it's friggin bright!), four clicks is a pretty disorienting strobe. The MicroUSB works great and the two LED's alternate flash on low power until it's fully charged. At that point they both switch on high and pulse together. Of course, lastly...it's weird but well presented. A great toy for a techie.

Cons:
I'm so used to carrying flashlights with clips or on keychains that a non-clipped or lanyard light that isn't a boat anchor is a bit strange. I guess for the non-flashoholics this would be great in the front pocket or even in a purse/coinbag pocket. Also, being flat there is no room for reflectors or optics so the throw is nonexistent; think of an iPhone "flashlight" but on steroids (plus it won't drain your phone battery, obviously). The LED's are covered in what seem like rubberized/epoxy domes and while they are hidden inside the aluminum case I would be curious about longevity. On that note, the battery is likely a propriatary rechargeable setup instead of stacking coin cells meaning at some point it will likely end up in a landfill like many other electronic devices. Similar to above...it's weird so that can be a bad thing too.

Summary:
I expect the quality from Hong Kong is decent to good. The price point was fairly attractive ($48 shipped) depending on how long you had to wait and how much you wanted it of course. I probably wouldn't run it on high for very long. While it's rated for up to 2 hours on high I'm sure that's on a less than optimally rated regulation meaning it will dim over time. Low is rated for 12 hours which is probably accurate as if it has two XM-L2's that is a very efficient setup.

If you are looking for something funky I would definitely buy one. You might get it in a week or it might take 12 months. It's surely a funky little toy for the money that pushes a TON of floody light. Kudos to Sinclair for making something different. Just don't toss it in the washing machine. :eek: :rolleyes:

Edit: I'll have to check my credit card...it's been a while. I think it was 48 British pounds, not dollars. Lol.
Last edited by Blerv on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderNut

Re: A VERY odd flashlight...square and flat?

Post by SpyderNut »

Now THAT is cool. :) I actually remember seeing this light on Ian Sinclair's website a few years back. (FWIW, I ordered a CardSharp folding knife for like $25 and it took about five months to arrive on my doorstep. :rolleyes:). Thanks for the review on this. Definitely something to check into.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

It looks cool and the performance seems alright for that type of thing.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Very cool, Blake.

I like it.

Enjoy,

Ken
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Interesting concept. It looks sturdy - and a flood of 300 lumen should be great for walking the dog...

TedP
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blake,
When I saw the topic, I started to think that you are talking about this one :)
Attachments
20764379.jpg
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

bh49 wrote:Blake,
When I saw the topic, I started to think that you are talking about this one :)
Lol! That thing beat me to the punch by like 40 years ;).

Thanks everyone. Playing with it more the functionality is pretty cool. Not sure it will displace the other lights but as a conversation piece or gift its interesting and the flood is handy. It's also very easy to mouth-grip; even more than an AAA light.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Does it use those dangerous, flat, Li-po batteries? o.O
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm sure it uses a small Li-Poly pack similar to an Ipod Nano or something. The case is plastic and thin aluminum panels.

I think in general they get a bad rep due to RC car use and charging practices. This has gotta pull less than half an amp total between the two LED's and is less likely to run into walls. Still, I won't be putting it in my shoe anytime soon :).