Is fish always bad if it smells like fish?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Is fish always bad if it smells like fish?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

question for cooking and fishing oriented people: I was told many times that if fish you purchase or catch actually has the fish smell to it, it is definitely bad/rotting, and must be returned or discarded. Is this rule always true in all known cases, or are there exceptions? One reason I ask is because someone was selling fish and claimed they were fresh, less than a day or so caught, and the fish had a slightly fishy odor to it; the seller insisted it was okay and not rotten in any way. Anyone here have experiences with this issue? The same claim was made to me about shell-fish such as clams, oysters, mussels, and so on, that if they have any sort of fishy odor that indicates they are not fit for human consumption, also shrimp.
Trout Hound

Re: Is fish always bad if it smells like fish?

Post by Trout Hound »

I have caugh and cooked a lot of fish. Fresh fish will not be completely odorless, it will smell, well, like fish. But, it should smell like FRESH fish. It shouldn't smell rancid in any way, and the smell should be slight, it shouldn't knock you down when you open the wrapper, or fill up the car on the way home. Another good indicator is color and texture. Fish flesh should be either white or pink and firm. If it is starting to turn gray, or feels mushy, forget it. Shrimp will get mushy and then start to turn pink when they are going bad.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
A wise old man once told me, "If it smells like fish, and it ain't fish, don't eat it!"
That is all.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Fish should smell like, well, fish. But, it should not stink. If the fish are whole, look at the eyes. They should be clear, and slightly poked out, not flat and cloudy. The scales should remain on the skin, not coming off. When you press the flesh, it should be springy, not squishy.

If you are looking at fillets or steaks, the flesh should not show separations between the sections. There should be no greying, browning (except for one or two species that have a bit of this), or yellowing around the edges. The flesh should be springy, not mushy.