Skills for Knife Design?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Skills for Knife Design?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What sets of basic skills would be useful if one wanted to become a professional knife-designer, whether it be for making custom knives, or, working with an established knife company making factory knives? CAD design seems like one, and good metallurgy knowledge, but what else?

Would a degree or certificate in CAD design enable one to do this?
Stuart Ackerman

Re: Skills for Knife Design?

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

If you can use a pencil on paper, and make a knife shaped object that makes sense to you, practice...

THEN...

Try draftsight.com for a FREE drawing program that emulates AutoCAD...

https://www.google.co.nz/?gws_rd=ssl#q=draftsight.com" target="_blank
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you very much Stuart, appreciated!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Just like Stuart said, a paper and pencil (and a good eraser :rolleyes: ) is all you really need. After I draw a design I like, I usually make two copies of the original draft. I then tape one of the copies on a piece of thin cardboard (e.g. think cereal box) and then cut the design out. The first thing I check is how well the design feels in my hand (ergonomics). If it feels odd or uncomfortable, it's "back to the drawing board." I will then make any necessary revisions and repeat the process as noted above (I will label any subsequent drafts as Draft 2, Draft 3, and so on). Sal once told me that it is not unusual for him to make several revisions/modifications before he has a design that works. It will be rare to design something that feels perfect right off the bat. This applies to folding knife designs as well as to fixed-blade designs. Just remember, just because a design looks good on paper does not necessarily mean that it will feel good in the hand. Good luck!
mehak

Post by mehak »

very nice post
muskan
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

SpyderNut has some great advice. Second, if you plan on doing folders, it is very useful to have push pins and a bulletin board so that you can play with where to put pivots and stop pins.

Actually making a knife is a lot more technical than making a design. I'm learning that the hard way.