Shilin Cutter, chinese slipjoint, pics

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
EroJiji

Post by EroJiji »

I'm here visiting and staying with family in Chiayi city (southern Taiwan area). I specifically went up to Taipei by High Speed Rail to visit the Shilin cutter shop after finding the address on their website. It wasn't much trouble finding the shop, but my heart did sink a little when i saw that the store was closed. Good thing I noticed the note! I got there at about 8pm. The location of the shop is on a well known street, and it's fairly close to the shilin subway station. It just took me a bit of walking (about 15 minutes?) and asking to find wenlin road, cause I dont know the area. When asking around i sadly noticed that very few locals know about the store, let alone the knives.

Hope that helps!
oregon

Post by oregon »

There is an older producer of the Shilin Cutter in town. A one-man operation. I consider his finer and more sought after than that of the shop you visited. If you were to visit that store you would be my hero. The largest knife store in Taiwan helps host an annual show that should be happening soon. They could be of aid locating this fellow's shop.
EroJiji

Post by EroJiji »

Do you know the name of this shop? Or the name of the man?

If it's this show, the it already happened T.T
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... pei-Taiwan
oregon

Post by oregon »

mascot@topmascot.com.tw,

My contact's name is Johnny. I haven't spoken with, or emailed, him in years.

Kuo is the master of the Shilin Cutter. His shop is the bomb and he has orders backed up for years last I knew.
EroJiji

Post by EroJiji »

I found the address of the shop.
Here's the address in chinese: 台北市中山區新生北路3段87巷63號
In English it's: 63 Hsin Sheng N Road Section 3, Lane 87, Zhong Shan district, Taipei

I'll see if I have some time to head over there before my flight home.
oregon

Post by oregon »

Here is a youtube video by an owner of Kuo-made Shilin Cutter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtQrDajfbKw

Here is master Kuo at work in his shop (his knives have a brass lanyard ring with a brass rivet thru the black horn handle's end, and not the stainless lanyard bent into the black plastic handle's end like the Chiu knives): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9rjVibk9Ms

[video=youtube;v9rjVibk9Ms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9rjVibk9Ms[/video]
oregon

Post by oregon »

The display:

Kuo (note the identifying brass lanyard attachment with brass thru-the-handle brass pin) on top and Chiu (note the steel lanyard attachment held in place by compression) on bottom:

Opposite side of Kuo Shilin Cutter in my hand for scale (I wear XL gloves):

I would consider meeting Kuo a lifetime achievement for any cutlery afficianado. He is a hero of mine and walks the earth like a giant in my humble opinion.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Beautiful knives to be sure! What started your love for this type of knife? Just asking, if too personal just say so! These look like the Spyderco Nishijin Lum! :rolleyes:
oregon

Post by oregon »

Thank you for the question Eric. Not too personal.

My daughter-in-law told me that she was traveling to that far away neck of the woods and what would I like her to bring back for me (love her dearly, Jessica you are all right). I searched about for a month or more and found these Shilin Cutters as a representation of Eastern cutlery thriving over the centuries: Bamboo leaf blade shape and eggplant shape handle. I was interested. She never went to Taipei (about the time of the Japan nuclear melt down) but I went after these knives with a global search. I found Johnny in China and he cleaned out the Island of all Shilin Cutters (all Chiu). I stumbled upon a student on the East Coast holding the tail end of a group buy and some had dropped out so I cleaned him out of Kuo folders. I found a couple on the bay, one ivory handle Chiu and one Kuo. You see my entire collection in the display photo. I am interested in this long-lived design and see it sunsetting as a hand-made item. Spyderco, via the genius Lum (rest his sole), has enhanced this ancient form and way to go Spyderco. A heck of a slipjoint. Not perfect by modern standards, no working/reliable kick on every folder to use care and caution closing the blade and do it ever so gently so the blade doesn't collide with the interior of the spine of the knife handle. I've never gone after, world search, like this for cutlery. I had the entire story on Bladeforums until there was a deal spotting beef when someone asked how difficult it was to obtain this knife and I posted a like to the sold out group buy that had been in progress for over a year and I erased most of the posts except for this one on the Spyderco forum and left Bladeforum for about one year. What a waste to the curious. I've forgotten much now and would like to review what I removed...
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Thank you Oregon! What an example of old-world craftmanship preserved for future generations! :)
EroJiji

Post by EroJiji »

Those are beautiful!! So the handle is horn, not plastic? It doesnt look like I'll be in Taipei anytime soon. I'm going to be heading straight for the airport from Chiayi city T.T. There's always next time, though. I visit Taiwan every year or two, so I'm sure there will be more opportunities for me to visit the shop. I'm still happy I was able to meet Mr. Chiu! It's sad to say, but it's hard to say how long the Chiu cutters are going to continue if Master Chiu is really the last Chiu that's making them. I am excited for the opportunty to meet Master Kuo that next tim I'm in town, though.

That is a very respectable collection of the Shilin cutters that I'm super jealous of! XD
Do the Kuo cutters also use cowry-x?
duh0711

Re: Shilin Cutter, chinese slipjoint, pics

Post by duh0711 »

Thank you all for sharing these great pictures and information. I was born in Taiwan in 80' but have never heard and saw a Shilin Cutter until recently. I can tell Mr.Steve (Oregon) is a big fan of Shilin Cutter and thanks for EroJiji a detail story of finding the store of Mr.Chiu's shop at Shilin.

Luckly I had a chance to talk with Mr.Chiu (the third son) in person and hear the story of Shilin Cutter. He told me this type of cutter was very popular used in early 1950'. Almost eveyone carry one in their pocket. But later on the Swiss Army Knifes have import to Taiwan, soon people like the multiple functions folder knife more. Sadly none of Chiu family member wants to stay in knife business and no Taiwanese young people want to make traditional knifes. Mr.Chiu might close down in near future. After a hour chat, I left the shop with a 3.5" Shilin Cutter for collection.

Then I walked to Mr. Kuo's shop, which is about 15 walk away, and hope I can get another piece of art. Unfortunately, Mr. Kuo was not in the shop, also his wife told me their waiting list for Shilin Cutter is booked till year 2017. Even I bag her to put me on the list, she refused to do so. Kuo's shop is much bigger and more organized, but they only have 1 big Shilin Cutter for show only. I just read the old news paper on the wall and watch the photos of Shilin Cutter then left.

I really want to meet Mr.Kuo in person. Truly hope he will keep making Shilin Cutter. So I will go find him in near future. If you guys have questions for Mr. Kuo or Mr. Chiu, maybe I can ask them for you.
LC Kid

Re: Shilin Cutter, chinese slipjoint, pics

Post by LC Kid »

Hi duh0711!

And welcome to the Spyderco Forums. :spyder:

THX Much for your detailed info about this fantastic traditional knife.

It's good to know that at least one maker will keep it going on. :)