Sending a knife or knives through the mail?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Sending a knife or knives through the mail?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If someone wanted to send a knife, or a group of knives, to someone, whether it be a gift, or a knife-sale, what do you suggest is the safest service (UPS, USPS, etc.) and what is the best way to pack the knife, to minimize damage to it? The latter question, ofcourse, depends on the shape of knife, but, I am referrring mostly to average sized folders, and, fixed blade knives up to the foot long (less than that) length.

Has anyone here had experience with this?
Clip

Re: Sending a knife or knives through the mail?

Post by Clip »

Is this a trick question?
Invective

Post by Invective »

I ship all my knives USPS flat rate insured. Folders go inside their box, wrapped up in bubble wrap, taped, put in the box and then stuffed with packing peanuts until nothing can move, tape up the box and get all the flaps, then take it to the USPS and get it insured for whatever it is worth. I've shipped out over 70 things in the past year or so with this method and never had any problems.

Fixed blades I make a cardboard sheath and make sure that sucker can't move and then do the same as above.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Personally, I've shipped quite a few knives and have had 100% success with Priority Mail for domestic shipments and Express Mail for international ones, but the absolute safest, although also the slowest, is Registered Mail. As for packaging, for folders, I agree with Invective that using the appropriate size Priority Mail flat rate box, stuffed with packing material so that nothing rattles, is best. For fixed blades, depending on size and shape, I might consider a mailing tube instead.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Of course, I live overseas and in a part of the world where things get crushed or pilfered in the mail, so take this for what it is worth. I have had great success with DHL. I have never had an issue. Also, I have found that USPS with tracking and insurance works wonders on those who would mishandle my packages. However, I have had things crushed and broken by the mail service once it reaches this side. With DHL they hand deliver it. So, if it is irreplaceable, use DHL, otherwise USPS with tracking, shipping the fastest way (1-2 days, or 7 days guaranteed) works ok.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Clip wrote:Is this a trick question?
Must be.

I do trust all of my shipments to USPS Priority Flat Rate insured. Never lost one yet and I have literally shipped out almost a hundred in the past 2 years.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
paladin

Post by paladin »

Beyond any doubt, for THE SAFEST method of delivery I would suggest is as follows: getting the buyer's address, reconnoiter the residence on Google Earth, set coordinates in your GPS, drive to your buyer's residence, knock on his/her door, ask him / her to provide (at least) 2 forms of picture I.D., have the buyer sign a receipt in the presence of a bonded public notary. Some consider this last part to be overkill, but I always suggest to be absolutely sure you can ask for a DNA epithelial cheek cell swab. I have found 23andme to be a reliable service for genome sequencing...GOOD LUCK! :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

This isn't meant as a snarky answer, but more or less anything that passes the common sense test will be fine. The only bad shipping experiences I've had were when the seller mailed the boxed knife in a padded envelope, with predictable results: the knives were fine, but the boxes were badly damaged.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

paladin wrote:Beyond any doubt, for THE SAFEST method of delivery I would suggest is as follows: getting the buyer's address, reconnoiter the residence on Google Earth, set coordinates in your GPS, drive to your buyer's residence, knock on his/her door, ask him / her to provide (at least) 2 forms of picture I.D., have the buyer sign a receipt in the presence of a bonded public notary. Some consider this last part to be overkill, but I always suggest to be absolutely sure you can ask for a DNA epithelial cheek cell swab. I have found 23andme to be a reliable service for genome sequencing...GOOD LUCK! :)
Oh, I don't know if that is secure enough.......what if the buyer had an evil twin looking to abscond with his brother's new "precious". A quick visit to his brothers house at the right time armed with chloroform would ensure the knife never got to the intended recipients as the genetics should be close enough with identical twins. ;)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

For me, up here in Canada, I find that USPS is the best way to go. FedEx and UPS are ripoffs, and offer nothing better than USPS.
Well packaged with lots of padding is the way to go as has been mentioned.
paladin

Post by paladin »

ManixFan wrote: Oh, I don't know if that is secure enough.......what if the buyer had an evil twin looking to abscond with his brother's new "precious". A quick visit to his brothers house at the right time armed with chloroform would ensure the knife never got to the intended recipients as the genetics should be close enough with identical twins. ;)
point taken...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you all. No, it was a serious question. My two main concerns were: 1 Avoiding theft of the knife or knives along the route, and 2, Avoiding damages to the knives themselves. I had a bad experience with UPS in which some pottery and glassware arrived shattered and with pieces broken out of them, it was very disheartening. But I have received other things via UPS and it was all fine. Someone told me he calls them "united parcel smashers" but others like them.

Another time I received a knife..and part of the cardboard box was OPEN...but...thankfully..the knife itself was still inside. When I first saw it, my heart skipped a couple of beats, I thought someone had cut it open and slid the knife out.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I went through USPS for shipping my Karahawk for scales, but I trust UPS more, due to them having handled all of my ammo and guns with great care. This is impressive to me because of all the hate swirling around the gun community lately. But I don't think you would have any issues with whichever you choose.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I find the best way is to use a USPS envelope and keep the knife open to ensure careful handling
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

in seriousness, if you want to be really safe, you will get a box, something to stuff around the item and keep it secure and lots and lots of tape, I tape the item to the inside of the box itself to make it a royal pain to grab quickly, and wrap every bit of surface area in tape- that ensures moisture wont get in and makes it inconvenient to open- at least thats how I do it. Its gonna take the recipient longer to open, but thats better than losing the item.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Truth is, no matter what you're shipping or what carrier you use, the "safety" of you shipment will depend to some extent on which of that carrier's offices and terminals the item passes through. I've had the good fortune of never having lived in a town with a bad Post Office, but have lived one town over from one a couple times and heard horror stories from friends and co-workers who lived in them. I've lived in places where UPS was great, others where it wasn't so hot, and at least one where I had no better than a 50/50 chance of receiving a package. My experience with FEDEX has been similar, although with fewer examples of excellence and more of either incompetence, carelessness, or outright theft. Only ever had one thing sent to me by DHL - they cost me a house, so I have no use for them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:For me, up here in Canada, I find that USPS is the best way to go. FedEx and UPS are ripoffs, and offer nothing better than USPS.
Well packaged with lots of padding is the way to go as has been mentioned.
One hundred percent agree with this I have never had an issue with USPS or gotten dinged an outrageous amount for border brokerage.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have sold a hundred or more on the Case Forum and shipped all USPS Priority without incident. There is free $50 insurance with Priority shipping and you can always add more if needed. I use the clear shipping tape and go solid from both ends where there is no way the box can bust open. I also discovered that a magazine with FolD in half and fit perfectly down inside the small boxes. I would always put a copy of Blade or some other Knife Magazine in there for so.some else to enjoy