Anyone into "traditional" folders?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Nice and how is that shield attached. I do not like knives that have the shields attached with glue.The word glue should never be mentioned when making a quality pocket knife or any kn ife for that matter. I have seen too many of those things fall off. I only buy Case knives with no shields or the ones made prior to about 1987 or so when the shields were still pinned.
The shield is attached via the bullet shaped tabs (the dark spots on the ends) that appear to be slotted into the cover and likely folded back behind the cover. Despite it's age, it is still completely solid.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Short story:

Earlier this week I went to help some neighbors down the street that my family has grown close to in the last years. While there I happened to pull the old Sword Brand and the husband asked to see it. I told him the story and he says to me "do you collect these things?" I responded with a smile and said I collect all things interesting. He proceeds to remind me of the elderly woman that we helped them move earlier in this year and tells me she had some of her husbands old knives and that I could have them. He descends the staircase and returns moments later with a wooden case (almost briefcase size). The knives within were of all makes and styles. Many were so heavily used and abused I don't think they will be functional at all... ever again. Some however really caught my eye and interest. I will share them as I clean and freshen them before carrying them. This interesting model was one that caught my eye.

At first I thought it was rusted closed, but then realized it has no nail nick. This Imperial has a very unique gravity pin locking system. It reminds me of the Protech Chiabatta I used to own.

Also in the case was a new in packaging Schrade Minute Man. A nice and interesting piece as well.

*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have a little knife just like the Imperial only I think is by another name. A friend gave it to me and it took a while to figure out. I had never seen one that had a sliding bar inside that engages the hook on the tang where you have to push down on the blade a tilt the knife to let the bar fall out. .I like to hand it to people and see if they can figure out how to open it
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I have a little knife just like the Imperial only I think is by another name. A friend gave it to me and it took a while to figure out. I had never seen one that had a sliding bar inside that engages the hook on the tang where you have to push down on the blade a tilt the knife to let the bar fall out. .I like to hand it to people and see if they can figure out how to open it
That's just mean
*Landon*
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It's usually called a trick knife or mystery knife. I like it because you can open it without breaking your thumbnail (once you figure out how to unlock it). I had one that you had to squeeze the blade and tap the knife on a firm surface to unlock it. I suspect someone had tried to force it and bent the locking pin.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
willydigger

Re:

Post by willydigger »

xceptnl wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:I do think the TC "Tom's Choice" bolsters are just bada$$ though!! Does the Stew's Blade cut out open sort of like an Emerson?
Short story is yes and no. It is designed for disabled persons whom need to open their knife with only on hand / arm. These are named for the father-in-law of the gentleman who commissioned the special factory order (much like a dealer exclusive). Stew was without use of both limbs. It's a very touching story. Some of the knives were even done in Walnut that was made from some wooden long gun stock blanks.
I didn't know that. Thanks for filling me in! That makes the knife and design amazing. Do you have a link to the more detailed story?
willydigger

Re: Anyone into "traditional" folders?

Post by willydigger »

My traditionals. I have a preference for the TC Barlows.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

willydigger wrote:My traditionals. I have a preference for the TC Barlows.
Couldn't remember if I asked you before, but did you do the lanyard tube yourself?
*Landon*
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Talking about traditional knives, the sod buster skinning knife is my favorite slip joint. Well I was just looking around and came across a sod buster style called the country cousin with green canvas micarta and a D2 steel blade from Queen cutlery, I had to get it so I can practice my sharpening on D2
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I think those micarta models are more recent stock (past year and a half maybe?) so hopefully it will come with a better edge than many Queens used to have. You could practice sharpening for a loooooong time on some of their D2 knives.
~ Nate
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I got back into slipjoint and traditional folders a few ago. Camillus is my favorite make and I like looking for older pieces under the many different brand names and outside firms they supplied.

Here's a quick shot of the current stable. On the left: 7 Camillus/Camillus-made. On the right: 5 Victorinox, 2 Case, 1 GEC and 1 A.G. Russell.

~ Nate
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Here are some of my traditional folders the two on the bottom left just recently got them, Queen cutlery #70 country cousin D2 steel. Forgot to include some of my swiss army knives.
Attachments
traditional.jpg
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This one came over the weekend, love the Northwoods.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

farnorthdan wrote:This one came over the weekend, love the Northwoods.
Very nice Dan! I do love the current Northwoods being made by GEC.
*Landon*
dmiddleton

Re:

Post by dmiddleton »

Sequimite wrote:I've only bought two and have been very happy with them. I don't intend to buy any more. I use these whenever I want an innocuous but useful EDC. I carry one of these whenever I'm in Canada.

First I bought a GEC Melon Tester from an ebay retailer for about $85

Second I bought a custom in whalebone and 154CM for $160:

where did you come by that custom? it looks great and i'm thrown a bit by the price as it looks like a well done piece.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have always liked traditional pocket knives and grew up with them. Now I still like them but have gotten spoiled to being able to use a knife with one hand. I've gone through a few (5 or so) traditional pocket knives in the past 5-6 years but haven't really liked them enough for them to take the place of a Spyderco. Anyway, I got a GEC Buckaroo, #68, Northfield with burnt stag scales about a week ago. I really like this knife and it will be my right front pocket EDC. I may have a Spyderco clipped in that pocket as well. The knife has a very solid feel to it. I'm excited to see how the 1095 blade steel will work out. See for myself I mean. I'm sure it is a good steel based on other's opinions. I admit I was very disappointed that this knife didn't have the half-stop when closing the blades. I saw reviews of GEC knives and I thought they all have this feature. Guess I was wrong. Not enough of an issue for me to return the knife. :)

Here are some pics

This picture is only half on the page. I used photobucket in the past to copy a link in here. I haven't been on for a while and missed the software change. I see a Img and a URL button at the top of the posting area. I just looked and some of the pictures on other posts are also only half there. I'm on my tablet now. Maybe a computer would look different??? Any ideas or suggestions about posting pics in the new forum program?

Jack
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jackknifeh wrote:I have always liked traditional pocket knives and grew up with them. Now I still like them but have gotten spoiled to being able to use a knife with one hand. I've gone through a few (5 or so) traditional pocket knives in the past 5-6 years but haven't really liked them enough for them to take the place of a Spyderco. Anyway, I got a GEC Buckaroo, #68, Northfield with burnt stag scales about a week ago. I really like this knife and it will be my right front pocket EDC. I may have a Spyderco clipped in that pocket as well. The knife has a very solid feel to it. I'm excited to see how the 1095 blade steel will work out. See for myself I mean. I'm sure it is a good steel based on other's opinions. I admit I was very disappointed that this knife didn't have the half-stop when closing the blades. I saw reviews of GEC knives and I thought they all have this feature. Guess I was wrong. Not enough of an issue for me to return the knife. :)

Here are some pics

This picture is only half on the page. I used photobucket in the past to copy a link in here. I haven't been on for a while and missed the software change. I see a Img and a URL button at the top of the posting area. I just looked and some of the pictures on other posts are also only half there. I'm on my tablet now. Maybe a computer would look different??? Any ideas or suggestions about posting pics in the new forum program?

Jack
Jack that is a beauty and I hope you are happy with it. I remember a thread on BF I can send you the link to that lists what GEC models have halfstops and which do not. I have enjoyed the 1095 edges off of the Fine and Ultra-fine stones. YMMV.
*Landon*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here is the patina that has formed on the 1095 blade on my GEC Buckaroo shown in a previous post. Looking good so far. :D

PS
I feel the edge retention on this knife is very acceptable but nothing to get excited about. I have had the edge angle pretty low so far though. Last night I touched it up and gave the edge a little higher angle. I used a DMT fine grit stone and the edge has a very toothy apex right now. Before I had a smooth (4k or higher) edge on it. So, I'll see how this holds up. Still very happy with the knife. :D
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My newest and a most interesting pair. As far as I know, a Case "Walnut Rope Knife" circa 1978

The best part is that one is for me and the other is for my friend in Germany.
*Landon*
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Love traditional knives.

Great Eastern Cutlery knives with there 1095 carbon steel blades and traditional handle cover materials, so pretty with some hard use and patina. /drool

Another option that I don't own, yet.

Northwoods Knives Indian River Jack. Traditional folder made with a modern steel blade. CPM 154 I think.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.