Why are Americans so picky?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Peter1960 wrote:I can assure you that as people in first world countries, we all are picky.
^-- Exactly. The majority of terrifying perils are out of the picture for us so we focus on the little stuff.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just spent the last couple hours cooking, cutting up, portioning out and packaging some food. About a pound of ground round,, a couple chicken breasts, three sweet potatoes, and a mixture of rice, barley, carrots, green beans, and broccoli. When it cools, most of it will go in the freezer and, with an occasional top dressing of shredded Velveeta, will serve to keep Bear fed for the next two or three weeks. Wonder what the OP's "friend" would say about that. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

So the basic point is a lot of America has it good and can be considered spoiled for choice on the basics of life (food, shelter, etc.) compared to less fortunate parts of the world? Yeah, it's not exactly breaking news. If you're born and raised in a position of having choices then it seems more likely you will be thought of as picky relative to someone who has no choices. One person's normal is someone else's dream, or nightmare.

Something more insightful on the part of your friend would be whether or not they felt Americans were appreciative of what they have compared to others with less.
~ Nate
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Having worked with Americans for about 10 years and worked over there with my counterparts sporadically over the last few years, but being a Brit myself, I can relate a bit to the reticence about food- But that's true in the West full stop.

We are generally rich and urbanised.....For most people, our food comes to us pre-packaged in some form from far away. Meat is off-the-bone usually, an easy slab of protein on a polystyrene tray.

We get to choose every day- and thus we are accustomed to the choice.

The one thing I have noted (when travelling with Americans into the Third World) is a generalised fear of 'local' foods which are more unusual, and a concern about 'dirt'.....But for every couple of guys that insist on never leaving the hotel, there's a 3rd one (like me) that will eat anything put in front of him for the experience :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Strive to be better.

As for food, seriously?
:)
https://youtu.be/lo0LMhujsuk
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

SolidState wrote: :)
https://youtu.be/lo0LMhujsuk
Yup, if that's "picky" call me guilty. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
paladin

Post by paladin »

rodloos wrote: I've bought underwear by the multi-pack at Walmart, but I do think there is a quality difference between the $5 shirts vs. the $40 shirts too.
LMAO...Rain Main, I've found you! Don't forget Wapner is on at 6:30!

Seriously, I hope you guys realize you are victims of an attempt at a record breaking troll...to the tune of about 670 +/- posts :eek:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

"You are not your car

You are not the contents of your wallet

You are not your effing khakis"

-Tyler
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Lol...Americans are picky about food?? Really?? I don't know guys but when I go home and visit my dad in Louisiana I am AMAZED by the...ahem..."girth" of the average american these days! My dad and I were sitting in the airport the other day just observing and man, I'd say 95% of the folks we saw were overweight. Seriously...95%...at least. That may be more prevalent in the south but I believe it's getting worse nationwide. So I'm going to disagree with the op and say that no, Americans don't seem to be too picky about what they eat. ;) .
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

It's simply a matter of means. Americans can afford to be "picky" because they can choose what they eat, wear or drive. It's just a normal offshoot of affluence. When I hear the word "picky" I immediately think of envy by the person who spoke it. Why do so many people wish to come to America and so few leave once they arrive?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

paladin wrote:LMAO...Rain Main, I've found you! Don't forget Wapner is on at 6:30!

Seriously, I hope you guys realize you are victims of an attempt at a record breaking troll...to the tune of about 670 +/- posts :eek:
Epic quote and a good movie reference too.
twinboysdad wrote:"You are not your car

You are not the contents of your wallet

You are not your effing khakis"

-Tyler
This was always my favorite quote from the movie

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

Tyler Durden
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Sadly I find the opposite, Americans are not picky enough.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Picky ?

You mean like which steel we like best in the Military model ? :D
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Re: Why are Americans so picky?

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Not if "picky" is the right word... more like FREE. 'MERICA! Erm... anyway, I guess we just like having the freedom to choose what we want, so we exercise it.
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

I'll agree that a lot of Americans are picky. I think it has to do with having so many choices. If I had a choice between a $10 pack of underware and no underware, I wouldn't be picky. But if I go to my local WallyWorld, I can choose between literally a dozen different offerings. If I don't like those, it's a 30 min drive to the big city and even more choices. I can afford to be picky. Are Americans spoiled? That's another discussion.
The Deacon

Re:

Post by The Deacon »

paladin wrote:Seriously, I hope you guys realize you are victims of an attempt at a record breaking troll...to the tune of about 670 +/- posts :eek:
The OP definitely has a knack for finding an incendiary way to phase his titles and, by doing so, turns even relatively benign topics into divisive ones. As an example, If this one had been worded "Why are Americans so discerning?", the absurdity of the question would have been apparent, and the reactions to it would almost certainly have been different.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I think there is a certain level of expectations that come with being the rest of the world's bodyguard and benefactor...