Wilson Startac

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DRKBC

Wilson Startac

Post by DRKBC »

This just arrived today. I have wanted one for a while but they are not that easy to come by in Canada. F&F is as you would expect from CRK and the Startac Pattern is both grippy and (IMO) super cool looking.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Star-Tac and Star-Benza have captivated me for years. I never ended up purchasing one, yet I have held each. Congrats on the acquisition. My Umnumzaan is a signature piece in my collection and I am sure it is in everyone elses as well. The ceramic ball detent / lock interface is my favorite part. No noise / no drama lockup. I wish more knives used this lock type.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

xceptnl wrote:The Star-Tac and Star-Benza have captivated me for years. I never ended up purchasing one, yet I have held each. Congrats on the acquisition. My Umnumzaan is a signature piece in my collection and I am sure it is in everyone elses as well. The ceramic ball detent / lock interface is my favorite part. No noise / no drama lockup. I wish more knives used this lock type.
Thanks I am also a fan of the Ceramic Ball on the lock face and the new pivot as well (although the older style did have the cool factor). I have a 25 which has the same system, and when you flick open that knife the blade really thunks into position with authority. The Startac is little quieter with the O rings.

I have a couple of 21's which I love for their simplicity and function but it seems to me you really get a lot for you $$ with the Umnumzaans. The Lock stop, dual thumbstuds/stop pin, little thicker blade stock, a more detailed blade and a glass breaker make it kind of special. I am always impressed with all of CRK's knives but this one even a little more so.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I put mine through some tough trials. You are very correct that you get many features for your money. I do prefer the old pivot though.... if for no reason than the distinct look alone.

*Landon*
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Your right about the Pivot, it's certainly more unique.

Does the jimping on your model give you much traction? mine is more refined, about the same as my 21's. Surprisingly the 25 is much more aggressive in that regard.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DRKBC wrote:Your right about the Pivot, it's certainly more unique.

Does the jimping on your model give you much traction? mine is more refined, about the same as my 21's. Surprisingly the 25 is much more aggressive in that regard.
I don't have another large model to compare to, but I feel the jimping is more than adequate.
*Landon*
Jax

Post by Jax »

Beautiful knife!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jax wrote:Beautiful knife!

Thanks Jax I am pretty happy to have it, I have other CRK's but this one could be my favorite
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

That is really cool!
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DRKBC wrote:Thanks Jax I am pretty happy to have it, I have other CRK's but this one could be my favorite
I think you should share your others also!
*Landon*
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I don't have a lot here is my not so vast collection

Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Re: Wilson Startac

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I don't there is a single thing that comes from Wilson that doesn't get me excited. And now they are offering their custom services for Berettas... I think I need some water
DRKBC

Re: Wilson Startac

Post by DRKBC »

Officer Gigglez wrote:I don't there is a single thing that comes from Wilson that doesn't get me excited. And now they are offering their custom services for Berettas... I think I need some water
HaHa yes they do some pretty tasteful things. I really shouldn't even look, it never turns out well for my bank account.