Knife rules for Virginia?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
lonerider1013

Knife rules for Virginia?

Post by lonerider1013 »

May be moving from NJ to Virginia sometime in next year or too... any one know of any rules re knives I should know of? I'm assuming no place is as restrictive as NJ (except maybe NYC) so I imagine everything that is ok here would be okay there, but any VA members please let me know? Thanks...

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
grumpy514

Re: Knife rules for Virginia?

Post by grumpy514 »

There is no length law in VA. No carrying daggers, autos, bowies, dirks, balisongs. Few others but Virginia is pretty lenient on knives and guns for the most part as well.

I live and carry in VA.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/virginia/

The link above has references to the relevant state law. From a cursory look, VA appears to be a < 3” state.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

grumpy514 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:01 pm
There is no length law in VA. No carrying daggers, autos, bowies, dirks, balisongs. Few others but Virginia is pretty lenient on knives and guns for the most part as well.

I live and carry in VA.
I would not consider VA’s laws on guns and knives “lenient”. Said laws fall under the definition of infringement.

Edited to add: not that Florida’s laws are any better. At least our CCW license covers weapons, which includes larger knives. Except dirks :rolleyes:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Knife rules for Virginia? Have fun and live freely.

Outside of schools having a 3" limit, just don't conceal machetes, switchblades, daggers or bowies on you. Other than that, it's pretty much free game. Especially in rural VA.
:unicorn
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks. Stupid question slightly ot... anyone know if they require a gun license for black powder firearms? Seriously thinking about taking that up if I leave NJ...
grumpy514

Post by grumpy514 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:04 pm
grumpy514 wrote:

I live and carry in VA.
I would not consider VA’s laws on guns and knives “lenient”. Said laws fall under the definition of infringement.

Edited to add: not that Florida’s laws are any better. At least our CCW license covers weapons, which includes larger knives. Except dirks :rolleyes:
Mainly to the point where there is not a knife length that's illegal except on school grounds to carry. Open carry state for guns. CCW permit is simple as pie to obtain and very cheap.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

As noted by others, you can carry any Spyderco knife, open or concealed, with the exception of only folders under 3" on school property.

There is established case law (Johnson v Commonwealth, VA Supreme Court, 2/27/2009) that a dagger is double edged and pointed. This Court decision specifically found the defendant's balisong was not a, "weapon of like kind" because it lacked the specific characteristics of a dirk/dagger.

No license required to own any firearm, including black powder.

Enjoy your move to a (relatively) free state.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thank you, It is still a bit off in the future but now I have something to be looking forward to.

Lonerider
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

grumpy514 wrote:

I live and carry in VA.
Does this mean that if you were carrying a Paramilitary Tanto in Virginia, you would be okay as long as you are not using it to attack people?
Markana

Post by Markana »

A paramilitary tanto might fall under the double edge rule.It used to be cops didn't care if you were carrying a knife,now they are paying attention to knives.You can only carry a knife as a tool not as aweapon.If a cop asks you if your carrying it as a weapon say no.There is no licence for black powder firearms.Cashand carry no background check.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

This is really more of an off-topic discussion so I'm going to move this... ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Interesting about the "switchblades", in VA.

I was told years ago that military / L.E. could buy, own, and carry auto's legally in VA.

u.w.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

u.w. wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 am
Interesting about the "switchblades", in VA.

I was told years ago that military / L.E. could buy, own, and carry auto's legally in VA.
I believe that's true, but I'm not sure about on/off duty restrictions. Are they allowed to carry autos on their own time?

I have a friend who's L.E. in another state, where he's allowed to carry an auto while on duty, but not when off duty.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 pm
Does this mean that if you were carrying a Paramilitary Tanto in Virginia, you would be okay as long as you are not using it to attack people?
SEF, I thinking you should be right anywhere carrying any knife that doesn’t exist. Even attacking people with a non existent knife should be OK, but you may get arrested and sent for psychiatric assessment. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

In most states owning and carrying autos are legal. Transporting them across state lines is the big no no.

I've never EDC'd one because I think they offer no advantage while drawing negative attention, but it's been a legal option for me for decades.
:unicorn
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I'm not a lawyer, don't even play one on TV. However, a tanto is not a double edged blade and does not share the defining characteristics of a dirk/dagger. What's more, unless you're a convicted felon, there's no state law against carrying a weapon in VA.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 pm
SEF, I thinking you should be right anywhere carrying any knife that doesn’t exist. Even attacking people with a non existent knife should be OK, but you may get arrested and sent for psychiatric assessment. ;)
LOL good one. This sounds strange but I once heard, I don't know how real it is or not, that there was a very mentally ill and unstable person who would walk up to to random strangers and keep a foot or so between him and them, and start making boxing-type punches in the air in their direction, and, would make knife-stab type motions in the air and also pistol-shooting type motions, without actually having a gun or a knife. Even if the person did not have a gun or a knife on him and he made those motions, what would be the most likely outcome?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:31 am
LOL good one. This sounds strange but I once heard, I don't know how real it is or not, that there was a very mentally ill and unstable person who would walk up to to random strangers and keep a foot or so between him and them, and start making boxing-type punches in the air in their direction, and, would make knife-stab type motions in the air and also pistol-shooting type motions, without actually having a gun or a knife. Even if the person did not have a gun or a knife on him and he made those motions, what would be the most likely outcome?
The average Australian my age and older would likely laugh, tell him/her to wake up to themselves, stop being stupid and tell them to Piss Off and go annoy someone else. Ah, hahaha! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I think a well placed kick in the berries would be entirely reasonable.