Is this a Scam Gimmick knife or would it be useful to you?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Is this a Scam Gimmick knife or would it be useful to you?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Take a look at this one everyone and tell me what you think:

https://dreamfarm.com/us/oni/

They claim it is the "only knife you need" for kitchen uses. What do those of you who are experienced cooks and kitchen people and meat cutting folks say to this?

They also have a pair of scissors designed to cut pizza instead of the more traditional sharpened rolling wheel.

https://dreamfarm.com/us/scizza/
tvenuto

Re: Is this a Scam Gimmick knife or would it be useful to you?

Post by tvenuto »

Not big enough. You probably only need one decent chefs knife in your kitchen, but it’s got to be at least 9”. I like having access to a 6-7” santoku pattern, and a 6-8” “utility” pattern in addition to the 9-11” chefs knife (western). I like the santoku when I’m doing meat and veggies simultaneously and might go back and forth. Also smaller knives are probably more comfortable for your wife/gf, which lets you have a larger chefs.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, at that price I would guess that the "stainless steel" is a bottom shelf Chinese steel. The design is interesting. Why don't you buy one and test it in the kitchen and let us know what you think?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, my mini-santouku meets about 90% of my kitchen knife needs for both cutting and spreading. So, if I didn't have it, I might be tempted to try that knife as it seems to be similar in size and shape. I'd write the "only knife you'll ever need" bit off as normal advertising hyperbole. Still, if the blade is decently thin and the "Japanese stainless steel" is even something like AUS-6, it could be a very useful little knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dunno man I use a 10 inch chef's knife for practically everything except buttering bread.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I use a pairing knife and a 6" chef's knife for almost everything. I could get by with an 8" Butcher or Boning knife as only one knife to have (and I have). SEF, give it a try and let's all see how it fares.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

As Doc said, I doubt the quality of the steel.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

While it probably cuts and slices well when sharp, it likely has low edge retention. If it were to be "the only kitchen knife you need" I would prefer something that has a bit more acute point. If the "only" knife, also longer. I agree with Doc Dan a nice paring knife and 7-8" boning or gyuto works for me. A few years ago I bought a nice Kohestu 210 in super blue that literally glides through whatever is being sliced, diced, chopped or cut. We all probably have more knives than we "need" :D but it sure is fun trying different styles and steels. For this price if you like the knife go for it. :)
benben

Post by benben »

My wife bought me a 5.5" Shun Santoku, love that knife! Like Deacon, it gets used for 90%+ of everything done in our kitchen, I didn't know I could appreciate a kitchen so much!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

They had me until the "Only need one knife" tag at the end. At that point I knew they were liars. As a Spyderco aficionado, I know that I need knives. Lots of knives.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Crux

Post by Crux »

Every kitchen knife has it's role there. You can make due with any knife but if you want to improve, learn to use the proper tool (knife). IMO
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Crux, what would your response be to someone who said to you "Crux, I want to use a quality folding lock-blade knife as my sole kitchen and food prep knife."? What would you think of such?
Crux

Post by Crux »

I would say that's fine. When it comes to knives "live free or die". When I cook, like for real cooking I tend to get serious about which knife I use as it speeds up the process. I'm not talking 10 different knives but a good 4 or 5. I also believe that if you can do it all with one knife then that's also a skill worth having, but cutting bread can be awkward. So, when I cook for myself, I use one knife because I'm lazy and I rarely cook myself anything special. It's really no fun to cook for yourself. My wife is always on a diet and my kids think real food doesn't hold a candle to Kraft Mac & Cheese or McDonalds plain burgers and cold fries.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: