Steampunked

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
remnar

Steampunked

Post by remnar »

Up until about 2 weeks ago my son told me that he did not want to dress up for Halloween and go trick or treating this year. Well, he changed his mind and decided that he wanted to dress as a steampunk character. Alright, that's kinda cool I thought, but you'll need a gun. I've been working on said gun for the last two weeks and I think that I'm done. I don't know if any of you are into steampunk but I have seen that some of you do some role playing, so I thought that you might like to see some of my work. If you have costumes or props that you've worked on, then I would like to see you share them here.

We haven't finished the whole costume but here's some shots of the work that has been keeping my busy for the last couple of weeks. :D

First, we'll need a donor. My daughters old Nerf gun should work well.

I watched a couple of hours of youtube videos on steampunk and painting techniques, disassembled the gun and went to work.

More progress.

I could have been done at this point but my son really wanted a rifle. :rolleyes:

Just slapping on a longer barrel would not be good enough. I decided that It needed some old-timey looking flip up sights. They were quite the project. Here you see the finshed(?) gun with the sights in the down position.

Here's a closeup.

And a shot of the sights in the up position.

I hope you enjoyed the pics and please post your own photos of your props or costumes. :) :spyder:
awa54

Re: Steampunked

Post by awa54 »

Nice work!

bet you either paint miniatures or 1/35th scale military...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
remnar

Post by remnar »

awa54 wrote:Nice work!

bet you either paint miniatures or 1/35th scale military...
Thanks for the compliment. :)

I actually have no painting experience, or should I say HAD no painting experience, before this project. Youtube can be a wealth of information. I watched several videos about painting miniatures and applying washes. I didn't even know what a wash was before I started. This was definitely a learn as you go type of thing and I made several alterations along the way because things just didn't work as I planned. However, I am very pleased with the result. :D
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Not my scene, but I can appreciate the time and effort you put into that.

Good job, your son is lucky to have a dad like you that puts in the time and effort to help him.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Love this....

On a similar theme, I converted an M4 airsoft gun into an Imperial Munitorium MkIV.50 Bolt Pistol....It's still a working, full-auto, M4 underneath and goes rather nicely with my chainsword- the issue tool of discipline for my Warhammer 40,000 Imperial Commissar's get-up :)

So I started with this- "Yawn", right? :)

And I ended up with this:

The core of the painting was done with silver acrylics using a 'dry brushing' technique: you wipe off nearly all the paint from the bristles then repeatedly drag them across the sharp edges to create the appearance of wear....With a dark wash underneath then more dry brushing over the top you get that real 'battleworn' appearance of worn steel on plastic.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What the heck is steampunk?
- best wishes, Jazz.
paladin

Post by paladin »

You gentlemen are true arteesits! :) ;)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Jazz wrote:What the heck is steampunk?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Basically it's a sci-fi style imagining a tecnological world in a more Victorian setting- So 'cyberpunk-with-steam-engines' or "StarTrek-with-more-polished-brass-and-big-dials"

It's mostly frequently encountered as a fashion style- related in a way to Goth- Victorian style with off-the-wall accoutrements and add ons.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You had better paint that flash suppressor bright red.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
remnar

Post by remnar »

demoncase wrote:Love this....

On a similar theme, I converted an M4 airsoft gun into an Imperial Munitorium MkIV.50 Bolt Pistol....It's still a working, full-auto, M4 underneath and goes rather nicely with my chainsword- the issue tool of discipline for my Warhammer 40,000 Imperial Commissar's get-up :)

Demoncase, I remembered seeing this pic before and hoped that you would share more when I started this thread. Thanks for the details on the gun. Nice work! :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

remnar wrote:
demoncase wrote:Love this....

Demoncase, I remembered seeing this pic before and hoped that you would share more when I started this thread. Thanks for the details on the gun. Nice work! :)
I'll put up the full build thread in Off Topic later

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

demoncase wrote:
Jazz wrote:What the heck is steampunk?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Basically it's a sci-fi style imagining a tecnological world in a more Victorian setting- So 'cyberpunk-with-steam-engines' or "StarTrek-with-more-polished-brass-and-big-dials"

It's mostly frequently encountered as a fashion style- related in a way to Goth- Victorian style with off-the-wall accoutrements and add ons.
Thank you. Now, all the things I've seen labelled as such make sense.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Steampunk is fascinating stuff. I was thinking of this years ago, too, after reading about the mechanical rod logic computer elements of Charles Babbage, when he did that back in the 1800s. If Babbage had been fully supported by the British government and industrial folks, I sincerely believe the computer revolution would have happened 100 years before it did with the electronic computers of the 1940s and 1950s. The main downsides to his mechanical rod logic machines was they were bulky and slow and required precision machined tolerances; the government and industrials didn't want to invest in them because they were not foresighted enough. Back then a "computer" was a human with good math skills. But the difference is this:

a machine can be improved over time, without training and time-intensive effort. Steam driven cars would be able to use a wider range of fuel materials than gasoline driven internal combustion engines but would also be bulkier, unless you had more efficient steam engines.

cool steam punk guns guys :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Steampunk is fascinating stuff. I was thinking of this years ago, too, after reading about the mechanical rod logic computer elements of Charles Babbage, when he did that back in the 1800s. If Babbage had been fully supported by the British government and industrial folks, I sincerely believe the computer revolution would have happened 100 years before it did with the electronic computers of the 1940s and 1950s. The main downsides to his mechanical rod logic machines was they were bulky and slow and required precision machined tolerances; the government and industrials didn't want to invest in them because they were not foresighted enough. Back then a "computer" was a human with good math skills. But the difference is this:

a machine can be improved over time, without training and time-intensive effort. Steam driven cars would be able to use a wider range of fuel materials than gasoline driven internal combustion engines but would also be bulkier, unless you had more efficient steam engines.

cool steam punk guns guys :)
You NEED to read The Difference Engine by William Gibson....That's exactly what happens in that world- and unsuprisingly things don't go all that well. :)

The Deacon

Excellent work, guys!

Post by The Deacon »

Steampunk definitely has a "cool" factor and, while I've never done anything in that genre, I've customized model cars, kitbashed structure models, and weathered buildings, motive power, and rolling stock for a model railroad, so I can appreciate the work you and demoncase have done.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Oh cool, that is the title of the book, thank you demoncase! Some time ago someone told me that a scifi novel was written based on the steampunk/Babbage computer and I hadn't remembered the title, you just reminded me. thanks you :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Very cool stuff! Big fan of the genre and all others in that vibe (cyberpunk, dieselpunk, space opera, etc). Closest thing to getting trixy I've done is basic copper work and patina. Tin snips and punches only, no solder or rivers.

Anything that looks tarnished or rusty makes my heart flutter :D
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In my opinion, a Steampunk Spyderco knife would sell like hotcakes. Laser cut web copper scales like a Q cladding brass or stainless liners, a bronze or copper backspacer and a period correct damascus blade. Let your imagination run wild.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Mad Mac wrote:In my opinion, a Steampunk Spyderco knife would sell like hotcakes. Laser cut web copper scales like a Q cladding brass or stainless liners, a bronze or copper backspacer and a period correct damascus blade. Let your imagination run wild.
I always thought that this one was close to being in the steampunk realm but that was not my intention when I made the modifications. If I roughed it up a little to make it look aged then it would probably fit right in.

Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

You steampunk enthusiasts have skills. I'm a fan of the genre, but lack the skills and the energy.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.