Chris reeve sebenza vs hinderer xm-18

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Water Bug

Re: Chris reeve sebenza vs hinderer xm-18

Post by Water Bug »

I have the Chris Reeve Large Sebenza (in different steels) and the Hinderer XM-24 (in different G-10 scale colors... the XM-24 is larger than the XM-18 and comes closest in design to the XM-18)...

Both knives are outstanding in design, practicality, and function. The Sebenza is elegant, light, yet impressively durable... The XM-24 is very robust, built like a tank, and also impressively durable. You can purchase a leather sheath (separately) made specifically for the Sebenza from Chris Reeve or from a reliable knife store that carries Chris Reeve products... If you know a reliable knife sheath maker, you can have a sheath made for the XM-24. I mention sheaths because that's how I carry these knives... when I tried EDCing these knives in my pocket (especially the Sebenza), I found that their thumb studs tend to catch my pocket and accidentally deploy... yes, I know that's part of the charm of a thumb stud, but it's a charm I personally don't care for.

Personally, I find the design of the Sebenza to be more practical, functional, and very ingenious. The Sebenzas I've purchased over the years come with a hex wrench for taking them apart for cleaning. The XM-24 is a great design as well and you can purchase a Strider Armorer’s Tool (separately) for taking it apart.

In terms of customer service, I've really only dealt with Chris Reeve's Customer Service... in fact, on a couple of occasions, either Chris or his wife, Anne, answered the telephone when I called. Very nice people. Overall, I was satisfied whenever I called Chris Reeve Knives. Now, that said, I did call Hinderer Customer Service on one occasion with a question regarding the hex bit that came with the Strider Armorer’s Tool... the individual who answered the telephone was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Also, I've yet to use Chris Reeve Knives' "Spa Treatment." I have Sebenzas as well as some of his fixed blade knives, and if they ever require servicing, I certainly plan on giving them a call.

I say both the Sebenza and XM-24 are great knives to have. I started with the Sebenza and years later was fortunate to eventually be able to purchase the XM-24... the Hinderers were, at the time, more difficult to find.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Water Bug on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Whitetail addict wrote:Anyone have experience with the umnumzaan?
I don't have either but out of all the CR knifes the Umnumzaan is my favorite, I especially like the tanto, looks like it would be a nice beefy piece.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I've owned multiple knives from both companies and both make good, solid products. I'd pick the CRKs every time over the Hinderers. CRKs have a higher level of F&F, based on my experience, but not by much. To be honest, I don't really care for the looks of the Hinderers, but I got caught up in the "Front Line" worker hype around the XM-18s, being that I'm a Front Line guy. I didn't find XMs any better for my line of work than any other knives out there, especially when you considered the elevated prices a few years back. The spanto grind might be better at prying than an Insingo, but the trade off will be in cutting and that's still what a knife is for, in my mind.

I've owned tanto Sebenzas and Unmumzaans and both designs are more stout than the Insingo grind, while still being good cutters(still much better at cutting than the XM spanto). Hinderer addresses the whole cutting thing with the wharncliff and regular grinds, but both are homely as sin, in my opinion.

I think the CRK Sebenzas are better true EDC folders
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't own either but I've done endless research on both and if I were buying one it would be a large Insingo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Chalk up one more CR fan. I find Hinderers / CRK like John Deere vs Audi..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My thoughts on the Hinderer is that if I want a sharpened pry bar I'll just get a Strider. That's not to say the Hinderer isn't as good or better than a Strider, I just like them better. However, the wharnie Hinderers are pretty BA.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Water Bug

Re: Evil D

Post by Water Bug »

Whitetail addict wrote:Yup they are, I was looking at a fatty wharnecliffe in blue and it looks great.
I'm now saving for a large or small insingo.
Is there an opportunity for you to handle the knives for comfort and handling before purchase? I ask because, although both sizes are nice, personally I find the large Sebenzas fit better in the hand. Also, the large Sebenza would be more comparable to the XM-18 in terms of size...

Large Sebenza Insingo: Blade Length: 3.625"; Overall Length: 8.335"

XM-18: Blade Length 3.5"; Overall Length 8.25"
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've got a lrg insingo and a small drop point, (lefties). I find the small to be very comfortable to use, the large only since I ground a touch of material off the back end, spine side of the handle if that makes sense. It gave a wicked hot spot otherwise. I wear a large "mechanix" glove for size reference. Both blade shapes are great. I like the insingo for the larger one as I use it for fruit and kitchen tasks a lot. Drop point on the small is good for me as it's a great all purpose shape for a lightweight carry. I've never used a Hinderer and don't plan on it. I hear a lot of disappointment. Sounds like ZT does a better job on the Hinderer design for less $. I've got a 0550 and it's a very well done tank.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?