Photography

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
gunnerjacky

Re: Photography

Post by gunnerjacky »

Excellent photography requires good quality camera and a talent to capture the moment perfectly. I want to capture a bullet fired from my handgun. But no luck as such for now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

gunnerjacky wrote:Excellent photography requires good quality camera and a talent to capture the moment perfectly. I want to capture a bullet fired from my handgun. But no luck as such for now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)
You won't be able to photograph a bullet with simply a fast and lucky shutter click. You'll need a very high speed flash with some type of flash-triggering sensor.

A quick search revealed this article. Maybe I'll try it someday...

http://www.diyphotography.net/bullet-ph ... y-at-home/
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

gunnerjacky wrote:Excellent photography requires good quality camera and a talent to capture the moment perfectly. I want to capture a bullet fired from my handgun. But no luck as such for now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)
a bullet travels to fast to freeze by taking a normal photo.
you need to freeze it with a very fast pulse of light (a normal flash isn't quick enough either)
you need an Air-Gap flash, which requires a very dangerous voltage and a huge capacitor bank - if you do a search for "harold edgerton"

capturing the muzzle flash or shell leaving the ejection port is just a matter of timing though - blast enough frames (better with a high frames per second camera like a 7D or 1D) and fire enough shots and you will get one eventually.
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

i am travvy wrote:okay here is my example. this lil guy wasnt moving at all. image is under exposed. it looks alright but if you zoom in on it it seems to have a haze around it. maybe its just from the fur or i moved just a tiny bit, idk.

travvy, it is difficult for me to tell where the point of focus is. For this to look "right," you would want to put the focus point on the animal's eye. Of course, that would mean everything not on the same plane as the eye is going to be slightly out-of-focus, but that is OK, because we humans are drawn to the eye of the subject of an image.

Your camera may have focused on the "face" on the nearest part of the large rock, which would mean the animal would, logically, be out of focus. I am not able to magnify the mage clearly enough to confirm this.

If you want a deeper "slice" of a subject to be in good focus, increasing the "depth of field," by stopping-down the aperture, is the way to do it, but the resulting smaller aperture lets less light into the camera, so either the shutter speed or ISO (sensitivity) must be adjusted. High ISO setting can result in a grainy-looking effect known as noise, but a noisy image generally beats a blurred imaged.

It seems that the sunlight, or at least part of it, perhaps reflected from a surface, is shining from behind the plane of your outer element. This causes "veiling flare" with some lenses, especially telephoto lenses with a high number of individual optical elements. which can be used artistically, but is probably not what you wanted to do here. This may also make it harder for your camera to acquire focus.

Your own motion can blur an image. Normal human involuntary motions, such as breathing, can blur anything slower than 1/60th of a second shutter speed. Then, you must factor the focal length of the camera, if the lens' focal length is longer than 60mm. I use 1/125th when using a 100mm lens, 1/250th when shooting at 200mm, and 1/500th when shooting at 400mm, unless the lens has Canon's Image Stabilization, or Nikon's Vibration Control, which can mitigate the motion blur caused by us, the shooters.

I want to add two disclaimers. First, I am looking at your image on a small, ancient iPad, so it is difficult for me to see anything very well. Second, I am not any kind of expert, and am fatigued from a long night at work, then walking the mighty dog. I would normally be asleep at this time of day. It is easy to mis-speak, or mis-type, when fatigued. :)
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

thanks for the info Rex. I appreciate it!

My new (well new to me) lens came in the mail today. One problem, it's raining. Not only that but will be raining all week thanks to this tropical depression coming through. So can't really go out and test it which is killing me.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

ImageIMG_1275 by Travis Raffety, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1276 by Travis Raffety, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1283 by Travis Raffety, on Flickr
MattBPKT

Post by MattBPKT »

Nice pics Travis.
Knife Informer...stay sharp, stay informed.
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

These images are wonderful to see; good shootin'. :)
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Nice pictures indeed! Black and white photography can be a beautiful thing and a wondeful work of art.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Water Bug wrote:Nice pictures indeed! Black and white photography can be a beautiful thing and a wondeful work of art.
I find that few digital cameras capture the same feel as film B&W does.

Not to knock black & white images made on a digital, I just shot way too many rolls of Plus X and Tri X to be completely satisfied with digital monochrome.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Thank you guys.

I find black and white photos to be more dramatic and just give off this different feel than color pictures. I'm going to try doing more b&w. Still havnt been able to use my new lens yet either. Dang storm!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

i am travvy wrote:Thank you guys.

I find black and white photos to be more dramatic and just give off this different feel than color pictures. I'm going to try doing more b&w. Still havnt been able to use my new lens yet either. Dang storm!
remember that sunshine and fluffy bunnies aren't the only good photographic subjects! A lot can be made of gray and dingy, you just have to look for it (and keep your gear dry) :)
-David

Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

awa54 wrote:
Water Bug wrote:Nice pictures indeed! Black and white photography can be a beautiful thing and a wondeful work of art.

Not to knock black & white images made on a digital, I just shot way too many rolls of Plus X and Tri X to be completely satisfied with digital monochrome.
Agreed! My comment was in regards to black and white photography in general, but especially 35mm film. I still prefer the fun and results of film photography. One reason I bought a digital SLR was because film was starting to get harder to find, the selection of what was available was getting smaller, and/or it was getting harder to find someone to develop it... also, the digital SLR I have provides full-frame/35mm capability, which was a big selling point for me.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

awa54 wrote:
i am travvy wrote:Thank you guys.

remember that sunshine and fluffy bunnies aren't the only good photographic subjects! A lot can be made of gray and dingy, you just have to look for it (and keep your gear dry) :)
I've been looking at indoor photography ideas online and there's some cool stuff you can do but most of them require a flash or two and I don't have any. Next on the list.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

i am travvy wrote: I've been looking at indoor photography ideas online and there's some cool stuff you can do but most of them require a flash or two and I don't have any. Next on the list.
Existing light photography can also give some very good results, especially with a fast lens like your 50 f1.8 and good high ISO performance... plus it'll give you practice holding slow shutter speeds without VR :D

I hardly ever use flash, with the exception of macro and indoor people shots.
-David

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

awa54 wrote:
i am travvy wrote: I've been looking at indoor photography ideas online and there's some cool stuff you can do but most of them require a flash or two and I don't have any. Next on the list.
Existing light photography can also give some very good results, especially with a fast lens like your 50 f1.8 and good high ISO performance... plus it'll give you practice holding slow shutter speeds without VR :D

Time to do some googling then! I just really want to try water drop/paint drop photography!! Dang flash haha.

Oh I got a question as well. I noticed there is a macro setting on my camera the other day. Now with a point and shoot I can see where a macro setting is useful because you can't switch over to a macro lens. Now with a dslr does it even do anything because it's mostly the lens that can do macro or not right?
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

i am travvy wrote:
awa54 wrote:

Time to do some googling then! I just really want to try water drop/paint drop photography!! Dang flash haha.

Oh I got a question as well. I noticed there is a macro setting on my camera the other day. Now with a point and shoot I can see where a macro setting is useful because you can't switch over to a macro lens. Now with a dslr does it even do anything because it's mostly the lens that can do macro or not right?
Macro is a misused word in photography - it is typically used to signify that a lens focuses close.
in real terms, a macro lens is one that can focus close enough to shoot 1:1 - a subject that is 1/4" tall will be 1/4" tall on the film/sensor
the macro mode on an SLR just changes the priorities in the cameras metering - it won't change the way the lens works.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

a few recent macro shots from me

Leica M240 with extension tube, 50mm lens and ring flash
Leica M240 with extension tube, 50mm lens and Canon 600EX in hotshoe with boucne/diffuser sheet (manual flash mode)
Canon 1DX, 50mm f2.5 "compact macro" (1:2 - half life size) and Canon 600EX flash in ETTL with a bounce/diffusion sheet taped to flash head
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Love the shot of the bee
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Water Bug wrote:
awa54 wrote:

Agreed! My comment was in regards to black and white photography in general, but especially 35mm film. I still prefer the fun and results of film photography. One reason I bought a digital SLR was because film was starting to get harder to find, the selection of what was available was getting smaller, and/or it was getting harder to find someone to develop it... also, the digital SLR I have provides full-frame/35mm capability, which was a big selling point for me.
I used to love Agfa Scal b&w transparency film. I was lucky enough to have a Leica (pre mortgage, pre kids etc etc) and the tonality through the Leica glass was just lovely - and far exceeded my capabilities to exploit it!