Man swallows 40 knives: No joke!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Man swallows 40 knives: No joke!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow check this out:

http://knifenews.com/doctors-remove-40- ... s-stomach/

In India, this guy "ate" these knives. Look at the kind they are and what he said. The doctors think it is a weird psychological addiction he has. They joked with him that if he wants more iron in his diet he should eat spinach instead!

" He was able to keep his addiction a secret from his family, but things came to a head when he began to experience severe abdominal cramps and found himself unable to walk. Doctors were unsure of a diagnosis until a CT scan showed the shocking source of the problem. The opened blades in the patient’s stomach were causing severe internal bleeding, and Dr. Jatinder Malhotra said that the man would not have survived much longer without medical attention."

Then check this out from the article:

" On Friday, a nerve-wracking five-hour operation led by Dr. Malhotra resulted in the complete removal of the pocket knives from the patient’s stomach. The knives, which appear to be Sanrenmu slipjoint folders, have clip point blades, steel liners, and a bail or lanyard loop at the base of the handle. The patient ate some open, and some closed, and according to Malhotra some had broken up and began to rust. Some of the knives had an overall length of seven inches. If each knife weighed just 3 oz., the patient was carrying 7.5 lbs of knives in his stomach, about the weight of a healthy newborn baby."

I guess he didn't want to go for some Spyderco, the "filet mignon" of knives, and instead opted for some McDees ;)

In some websearches I found those knives:

http://www.ant-supplies.uk/folding-blad ... knife.html
Here is a youtube video showing them up close:

https://youtu.be/Lvs-Ew0VXgU

This also gives us some insight into what stomach acids would do to steel.
Can you imagine if those were all made of H1 stainless?
awa54

Re: Man swallows 40 knives: No joke!

Post by awa54 »

bad choice for a swallowing compulsion!

more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Reminds me of the guy who ended up in ER where it turned out he had 5 toy horses stuck up his butthole.
The doctor declared his condition as stable.
:)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I'm addicted to knives as well......I don't eat, lick or taste them but I do fondle them a lot and sometimes I even smell them......so I'm thinking I could just start chewing on a FRN Ladybug and see how it goes....yep gonna chew on H1...don't like the taste of rust....Doc:)

Good thing this happened in India, if it happened in NYC the guy would be arrested and place in jail for consuming too many switchblades....no doubt a federal offense.....

Finally.... I concede.....this man EDC's more knives than me.......Doc:)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I like knives a lot, but I couldn't eat a whole one! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

He's never going to be invited over to my house, that's for sure!

If he has to swallow knives they should be Pacific Salts so that he can't get tetanus from rust!
:)