Getting older

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Getting older

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:I think it is a case of “use it or lose it”.

I’ve seen people who have retired from an active job and have had their physical and mental state deteriorate very quickly. Especially for people who have had few activities outside of their work.

People seldom appreciate that a change in life that will be. Got to have something to keep the body and mind active.

Me? I am 63, my job is more physically and mentally demanding than it has ever been. It is all of my physically and mental exercise. Off time; is wind down and recovery time.
Well "REJECT" I can completely empathize with you. I'm pretty close to your age>> I'm 62 and other than all my knee surgeries ( 7 total) I really haven't had much go wrong with me. Other than my graying hair it's hard to tell how old that I am. I don't have a wrinkle in my face and my skin and muscle tone are about as good as they were 20 years ago.

I was once a very avid distance runner ( 10Ks, 20Ks and a couple of Marathons) and I'm thinking that it might have increased my metabolism which later paid a dividend. Just a guess as to why I'm still pretty much active and why I can still work about as good as any 30 year old>> and in many cases I've worked circles around them :D

The one thing I have noticed that has changed is my overall appetite. Once upon a time I could eat an entire slab of ribs ( Kansas City Barbeque that is :cool: ) and an hour later devour a nice pizza :D But anymore I can barely eat one level meal at one sitting. And I've become extremely picky about what I do eat. If it wasn't for my replacement knees I still believe I could run some but the surgeon told me not to run at all with these replacement knees :( .

But father time hasn't beaten me up like a lot of people I have known for years. As far as the one Brother's mention of the WW II generation>> yes that is the toughest generation I'm aware of to date.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

JD,

You sound much younger too (the energy & enthusiasm on sharpening stones for example :D ).

One thing is same: my appetite has also dropped significantly after I turned 40 ... Anyone else have same tendency?
Chris :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes. I do not eat nearly as much as I used to. When I was a teenager, I grew 9 inches in 9 months (school year). I could eat a large pizza by myself in a nearby town 20 miles from home, and have to eat again when I got home. As an adult I could really put away the groceries, but not like I did as a teenager. I was very active lifting weights, playing ball, and running. Nowadays, I do not do all that as I have little time. I have found my eating is limited to what fits on a saucer, per meal. Some of that is medicine that the doc put me on simply makes me feel less hungry.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes. I do not eat nearly as much as I used to. When I was a teenager, I grew 9 inches in 9 months (school year). I could eat a large pizza by myself in a nearby town 20 miles from home, and have to eat again when I got home. As an adult I could really put away the groceries, but not like I did as a teenager. I was very active lifting weights, playing ball, and running. Nowadays, I do not do all that as I have little time. I have found my eating is limited to what fits on a saucer, per meal.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

anagarika wrote:JD,

You sound much younger too (the energy & enthusiasm on sharpening stones for example :D ).

One thing is same: my appetite has also dropped significantly after I turned 40 ... Anyone else have same tendency?
Well you've heard the old cliché " You're As Young As You Feel">> and I'm convinced that is the truth. I do a lot of volunteer work in a homeless shelter on weekends and the lady that runs the show is 72 years old and she makes many of the younger women look like slugs the way she works with seemingly limitless energy. She's been a sterling example for me to follow and I hope the Good Lord lets me live that long ( and longer).

My late dad always said that "You Rust Out Quicker Than You Wear Out". And I've found that to be the gospel truth as well and I just refuse to get old and I still like a lot of the music I liked as a teenager. In many ways I still feel like a teenager and I try to keep my attitude positive and also try to help others as I get along in years.

And YES Spyderco and the constant persuit of their great knife and sharpening products is a hobby that helps keep me young along with two of my other hobbies.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JD Spydo wrote:Well you've heard the old cliché " You're As Young As You Feel">> and I'm convinced that is the truth. I do a lot of volunteer work in a homeless shelter on weekends and the lady that runs the show is 72 years old and she makes many of the younger women look like slugs the way she works with seemingly limitless energy. She's been a sterling example for me to follow and I hope the Good Lord lets me live that long ( and longer).

My late dad always said that "You Rust Out Quicker Than You Wear Out". And I've found that to be the gospel truth as well and I just refuse to get old and I still like a lot of the music I liked as a teenager. In many ways I still feel like a teenager and I try to keep my attitude positive and also try to help others as I get along in years.

And YES Spyderco and the constant persuit of their great knife and sharpening products is a hobby that helps keep me young along with two of my other hobbies.
A lot of good stuff here. My mother is in her 60's and still works out with the younger folks in their 30's. Nothing crazy, but she stays active. She often goes to lower income apartment buildings for her job and has no trouble taking the stairs when people much younger than her sit and wait for the elevator. 3 months after open heart surgery she was back in the gym, after doing the prescribed rehab, of course. But again, what you say is spot on, she's never been in amazing shape her whole life, she just stays active, has a good attitude, and doesn't think of herself as "old."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:Well you've heard the old cliché " You're As Young As You Feel">> and I'm convinced that is the truth. I do a lot of volunteer work in a homeless shelter on weekends and the lady that runs the show is 72 years old and she makes many of the younger women look like slugs the way she works with seemingly limitless energy. She's been a sterling example for me to follow and I hope the Good Lord lets me live that long ( and longer).

A lot of good stuff here. My mother is in her 60's and still works out with the younger folks in their 30's. Nothing crazy, but she stays active. She often goes to lower income apartment buildings for her job and has no trouble taking the stairs when people much younger than her sit and wait for the elevator. 3 months after open heart surgery she was back in the gym, after doing the prescribed rehab, of course. But again, what you say is spot on, she's never been in amazing shape her whole life, she just stays active, has a good attitude, and doesn't think of herself as "old."
I really appreciate your valuable feedback "tvenuto". That is really encouraging to hear and GOD bless your mother because I'm sure she is a great inspiration to you and the rest of the family. Since I've had my knee replacements I often take the stairs myself instead of elevators that I don't completely trust :rolleyes:

I've seen people in their 30s and 40s that seem to have just already given up :( Most of my mom's side of the family ( non tobacco users that is) all live into their 90s. All of my dad's side of the family mostly made it into their mid to late 80s and most of them worked and stayed active until the day they died.

I believe a lot of people needlessly shorten their lives and their agility with cigarettes, too much alcohol and eating garbage foods I believe all tend to drastically shorten people's lives. And you're so right because attitude is a huge part of it ;)