What's up with USPS?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

What's up with USPS?

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Is it me or has USPS been dropping the ball lately.....a thread like this must already exist 10 fold I'm guessing...me... I never had a problem shipping through USPS. I deal in custom knives...I sold a knife to a gentlemen in Alaska, the package arrives and goes out for delivery and a slip is left for him to pick the knife up at his PO....The gentlemen goes to PO and they can't find the package....after a month of looking and checking they tell the guy...well it was insured, have the person who sent you the item file a claim. So I file a claim, but you can only file a claim on-line....not at the PO anymore....In order to file a claim I had to open an on-line account, which I'm told I'll be able to track my claim. Nope, my on-line account doesn't show I made any claims. Next I receive an email telling me that my claim has been filed and they give me a claim number....I search the online site with claim number in hand....nothing....Now I place a call to the PO for customer assistance and they track my claim and tell me it's already been approved for refund and they cut me a check on the 15th....Is the mail that slow?....I still haven't got the money order yet....it's coming from Texas.....Next I purchased a Custom Bowie Knife...but the PO won't allow it to be delivered because the shipper used DHL and DHL is not allowed to deliver to a PO Box at the PO....I ask you....how absurd is this sounding....anybody else having trouble with USPS lately....Doc:)
The Deacon

Re: What's up with USPS?

Post by The Deacon »

Haven't had any problems myself. Haven't shipped all that much in the past year, but can't say I've noticed any increase is shipping time for the things I have shipped, or on things I've received. Amazon has been slow, but the delay has been between purchase and actual shipment, not in-transit time, and I've chalked that up to them wanting folks to pay for Prime rather than use free "economy shipping".

Still, I've never had to file an insurance claim with the PO, so I can't on how typical or atypical your experience with that process has been.

On the other hand, your experience with DHL does not surprise me one bit. Never had any luck with them, once wound up having to make a 100 mile drive a breakneck speed when they failed to deliver legal papers on time. Personal experience aside, I'm fairly certain that you've never been able to ship something to a PO Box via their service or, for that matter via UPS, FEDEX,or REA back when it existed. I know UPS and FEDEX both now have "special" economy services that get delivered by the PO, but fairly sure the rules for their regular and express services have not changed. So, to my way of thinking, that one is "on" DHL, in that they never should have accepted a package addressed to a PO Box.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

O, I have had NUMEROUS issues with USPS. Once, a friend shipped a book to me and it was returned undeliverable. I mailed MYSELF a Christmas card (business reasons) from my office and USPS said that the biggest building in town, right across the street from the post office, did not exist! A friend shipped a box to me and it disappeared and though it had a shipped receipt and tracking, USPS said there was no such number or package shipped. I could go on and on.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
paladin

Post by paladin »

My local PO & regional Hubs have done a great job. :)

I have no way of telling beyond my local PO-- but I have a feeling most of the employees at the regional hubs are "seasoned" workers. This is definitely true at my local PO as I see them often. But I base this on the fact that my shipments out of my hubs are so predictable I could almost set a pocketwatch based on the delivery times and when the packages themselves arrive in nice outward condition.

The only blips on my radar have been due to temporary, USPS fill in workers and seller error. :(

Shipped a Busse to North Dakota for a feller from Canada to pick up. There was one Postal worker. She was on vacation and the <lady> :rolleyes: who filled in for her had a bad habit of sending Signature Confirm packages back to sender if they weren't picked up immediately. Well, the guy didn't pick up the blade the day it arrived and it got sent back down south. I got ahold of the regular employee and she was very apologetic and assured me she could personally insure the guy would get the Busse if I sent it back <she knew him well>. The buyer paid the additional shipping and got his blade. :)

As a buyer, I've had 2 folders hijacked by USPS sorters/workers <I assume>. They were both shipped loose, without factory boxes in envelopes. One wasn't even padded, it was like one of those manilla envelopes. The other was in one of those shipping envelopes with the recycled fuzz/dust between the layers inside <I hate those>. Both had razor sharp slits perfectly placed on the bottom seam corner just large enough to squeeze the knife out. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the same worker on both separate occasions. The modus operandi was certainly identical. But at any rate, I chalked those up to inexperienced sellers. In both cases the sellers refunded my $$$ after I sent pics of the molested envelopes and patiently explained how they should NEVER ship in envelopes! :mad:

So here's my PSA: ;)

*Most pocket knives are tailor made for the USPS's small flat rate Priority Mail boxes and it's a decent value for under $7. Pack the perimeter of the box with peanuts or similar so that when your buyer cuts it open with his Spyderco ;) Caly Jr. :spyder: he doesn't slice into the knife or factory box. :eek:

*Also tape the seams all around, especially the end flaps since they can be defeated easily with one slice of that little fold-in tab. It's easy to just cut that and then it's almost as simple as an envelope to access. I know this since that's how I usually open all my deliveries! ;)

Good thread!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My local USPS is annoying to deal with as well. Our business is open at odd hours, and we often miss deliveries. If it's an Amazon delivery, they will mark the tracking as "delivered" even though they did not deliver it. They told me it was because "Amazon yells at them if they don't deliver it on time." How they then keep track of it, when they list it as delivered but it is not delivered, is beyond me, and I'm sure has resulted in errors. Also the postal van looks as though a hobo is living in it and using mail for insulation, so again I have no idea why there is so much mail when clearly not all of it gets delivered ever.

At the actual office, they are the picture of unrushed, much like the DMV. They usually only have 2 people on site, and it closes from 1-2:30 for lunch. There is often a line outside waiting for them to re-open. The one guy has obviously worked for the Post Office since birth, and knows everything. He putters around unhurriedly, though, and is often waylaid by the other employees who rely on him to do everything correctly. The remaining employees are a revolving door of ineptitude. I once heard one of them refer to Maya Angelou as "Mary Angelos." This might not be so discouraging if this employee wasn't a late 30s to early 40s black female, who has been tasked with selling a Maya Angelou stamp. I can think of no one person more likely to know who Maya Angelou is, or at least know her correct name, other than maybe someone who personally knew Maya Angelou.

All that being said, when I do finally get service, if the older guy is doing it (which he often is) I'm confident that things are getting done correctly. I've also never had anything truly lost, although there was the aforementioned time-sensitive Amazon order scare where I found out about their short-sighted practices. I am loathe to think what trials and tribulations would await me were anything to actually get lost, since the organizational structure of the post office is completely byzantine, and you are often told to call a variety of different numbers by a variety of people who seem rather unconcerned about your plight.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

paladin wrote:
*Most pocket knives are tailor made for the USPS's small flat rate Priority Mail boxes and it's a decent value for under $7. Pack the perimeter of the box with peanuts or similar so that when your buyer cuts it open with his Spyderco ;) Caly Jr. :spyder: he doesn't slice into the knife or factory box. :eek:

*Also tape the seams all around, especially the end flaps since they can be defeated easily with one slice of that little fold-in tab. It's easy to just cut that and then it's almost as simple as an envelope to access. I know this since that's how I usually open all my deliveries! ;)

Good thread!
* Buy yourself a colour of tape (duct or otherwise) that USPS don't use. Liberally apply it to your parcel. Any 'innocent retaping after accidental damage at the mail centre' will be obvious and make the less honest person think twice.

I started a thread a while back about Royal Mail (aka Royal Fail) and their many brethren. It's no better anywhere in the world, I'm afraid
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
paladin

Post by paladin »

demoncase wrote:
paladin wrote:

Good thread!
* Buy yourself a colour of tape (duct or otherwise) that USPS don't use. Liberally apply it to your parcel. Any 'innocent retaping after accidental damage at the mail centre' will be obvious and make the less honest person think twice.

I started a thread a while back about Royal Mail (aka Royal Fail) and their many brethren. It's no better anywhere in the world, I'm afraid
Great tip, I usually just use clear packing tape but I will find some more unusual colors & patterns...that alone may be enough to deter a thief. Thanks! :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The HAP40 Dragonfly that Dan sent me went out on Saturday in Alaska and arrived Monday at my Post Office in North Carolina.
Ive had no problems with USPS. However, I always send Priority with Signature Confirmation.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

MacLaren wrote:The HAP40 Dragonfly that Dan sent me went out on Saturday in Alaska and arrived Monday at my Post Office in North Carolina.
Ive had no problems with USPS. However, I always send Priority with Signature Confirmation.
This, like insurance, is pretty perverse if you ask me. You're essentially paying for lack of confidence in the service you're already paying for. So, the less reliable you feel they are, the more you feel compelled to pay them. I mean, I do it too, but I recognize the perverse incentive and resent them for it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:
MacLaren wrote:The HAP40 Dragonfly that Dan sent me went out on Saturday in Alaska and arrived Monday at my Post Office in North Carolina.
This, like insurance, is pretty perverse if you ask me. You're essentially paying for lack of confidence in the service you're already paying for. So, the less reliable you feel they are, the more you feel compelled to pay them. I mean, I do it too, but I recognize the perverse incentive and resent them for it.
Umm.....yeah.
I dont do insurance though.
The reason I do signature confirmation is because it creates a chain of custody within the postal office itself. Its has to be signed off on whenever it leaves a facility.
In other words, its just like you said :)
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I guess I'm fortunate, I've had much better luck with USPS than with UPS or FedEx. Since my house is in an older neighborhood, the mail carrier still walks house-to-house to deliver, no mailboxes out at the street for kids to bash in, or cluster of mailboxes like you would have at an apartment complex. I've had UPS claim my address didn't exist (only a week after they found it to deliver my previous purchase) and I assure you my house hasn't moved :).

I still get mail delivery on Saturdays, with UPS you have to pay extra for that and it probably *still* won't get there.

Heck, late last Friday night I ordered some items from Amazon, and I had them delivered to my door by Saturday afternoon, Amazon Prime works well for me.

But anything that I know is going to be sent "signature required" or that is really expensive, I have shipped to my work address since I'm not home to sign for the package during the day.

I do recognize that USPS tracking is not very dependable, but fortunately the few times I've had to ship something, it got there OK.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea that one totally blew me away Paul, I've never in 40 + years living here ever seen a package show up that fast, I'm starting to think there was some sort of divine intervention involved here.. :D ;) :cool:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

farnorthdan wrote:
Yea that one totally blew me away Paul, I've never in 40 + years living here ever seen a package show up that fast, I'm starting to think there was some sort of divine intervention involved here.. :D ;) :cool:
On wings of Eagles my friend....on wings of Eagles :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Update USPS:
Murphy's Law in Effect!!!!
USPS Refunded me for the lost knife, After notifying them that I didn't get the supposed refund check and after phone calls daily we were able to figure out the USPS mailed my claim to a wrong PO Box....somehow somebody...wonder how....changed my address on the claim from PO Box 223 to 233. So they tell me write us a letter (hard copy/no email) claiming you never got your claim, ask us to cancel the issued check and re-send a new check to the right address. Estimated time till refund 4 weeks.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!~ So I decided to take matter into my own hands....called a friend who works at the PO and told him of my plight....he checked with the PO Box lady, who puts the mail in the boxes who said she knows me and the two of them checked PO Box 233 and there was the check, addressed to me from USPS....it was then slipped into my PO Box (correction made) and I had my check that evening and was able to refund my buyer who was starting to get annoyed as I wouldn't refund him his money till I got mine....All is good now.....took some manipulation and fancy footwork but it's a done deal....Did USPS drop the ball on this one.....yep.............twice!.....Doc:)
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Update USPS:
Murphy's Law in Effect!!!!
USPS Refunded me for the lost knife, After notifying them that I didn't get the supposed refund check and after phone calls daily we were able to figure out the USPS mailed my claim to a wrong PO Box....somehow somebody...wonder how....changed my address on the claim from PO Box 223 to 233. So they tell me write us a letter (hard copy/no email) claiming you never got your claim, ask us to cancel the issued check and re-send a new check to the right address. Estimated time till refund 4 weeks.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!~ So I decided to take matter into my own hands....called a friend who works at the PO and told him of my plight....he checked with the PO Box lady, who puts the mail in the boxes who said she knows me and the two of them checked PO Box 233 and there was the check, addressed to me from USPS....it was then slipped into my PO Box (correction made) and I had my check that evening and was able to refund my buyer who was starting to get annoyed as I wouldn't refund him his money till I got mine....All is good now.....took some manipulation and fancy footwork but it's a done deal....Did USPS drop the ball on this one.....yep.............twice!.....Doc:)
Sorry Doc, as one who does a lot of ''net commerce I understand and sympathize. USPS, DMV/BMV, VA, and most of the rest of the federal government are outright disasters or pending ones. And yet folks pushed to let the .gov to run their healthcare too. YeeHaa, it's going to be a wild ride.....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

:spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Another jerk USPS story...

I ordered something that was supposed to come in today. USPS tracking says "out for delivery." Someone was at my business continuously from 8:30am-4pm, and it did not arrive. There are not many businesses open in my complex on Saturdays, and I think the postal guy likes to skip our portion of the route and just mark us all as closed. I've gotten "business closed" notifications from tracking numbers previously, all on Saturdays at times where we were definitely there. I would complain, but...

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Suspicion confirmed. Listed as closed at 10:33 am when there were over 20 people here, including myself.

I'm going to make it a point tomorrow to be here personally when the carrier arrives, and confront them directly. I'll decide whether or not to escalate entirely based upon that interaction.

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I love it when USPS tells me my package is out for delivery.....I'm like.....ummmm.....I have a PO Box here at the post office?......Doc:)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Confronted the post office lady today. I asked her if she delivered here on Saturdays, and if so what time she came around. She said "yes but y'all was closed...I probably got here....around...um...2?" (Which, dear reader, we know is inaccurate by at least 2 hours since I was here until 4, and there is also the strange fact that this note shows as 10:33 am in the tracking info.)

She did however offer to call our number if we had packages in the future, to see if and when we would be here. She seemed genuinely interested in working with our sometimes sporadic schedule. So, for now I'll leave it as it is. She was not dismissive or truculent, and I'm always keen to meet people in the middle if they show an interest in doing so.