Fried Food and Fried Chicken question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
mrtodd777

Re: Fried Food and Fried Chicken question

Post by mrtodd777 »

I am a member of a very popular bbq forum and was recently introduced to "kettle fried chicken". Please give it a shot. Enjoy the pics.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=95412
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Poop? ecoli? Drugs?

****, I guess it's only beer.

Or, ribs. BBQ ribs, what could go wrong?

And beer.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

mrtodd777 wrote:I am a member of a very popular bbq forum and was recently introduced to "kettle fried chicken". Please give it a shot. Enjoy the pics.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=95412

Thanks! I think I learned something. I am going to try it and find out if it will work in an air fryer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:ahhhh....why do I always feel like I'm raining on Spyder's Food Threads......Chickens!!!!

If You’re Eating Chicken, You’re Eating Poop!
Ah sensational clickbait statements regarding diet. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Firstly, there are certainly problems with the American Factory Farm. We have the bad habit of focusing on one variable, and seeking to increase it without regard to what might happen to all others. In this case we tried to create as many calories as possible for as cheaply as possible. We've gone down that particular path, and there are consequences. We need to figure out how to feed our population in a way that minimizes the negative aspects to people, the environment, and the animals themselves. It's a delicate balancing act and not an easy problem to solve.

However, ridiculous statements such as the above do nothing to further the discourse on the matter. Hysterical my-uncle-sent-me-this-chain-email style rants do quite the opposite, since they make many indefensible claims and offer little in the way of solutions. In the toothbrush episode of the mythbusters they even found fecal matter on the control toothbrushes, which weren't in the bathroom, so on a microscopic scale this is pretty much true of everything you eat, and may not even be a problem. The feces of animals has long been used to fertilize the ground on which food is grown, and the worms that aerate the soil do so through their bodies. Are you prepared to make an argument on the merit of one feces vs another? Statements like the above are only inserted to elicit an emotional reaction, which is unhelpful for problem solving.

When we kill a plant or an animal to eat it, we are imposing our will upon it. This is the nature of the predator/prey relationship and I don't think it can be moralized as simply as some believe.
Doc Dan wrote:I take chicken and soak it in very alkaline water for up to 45 minutes, and wash it thoroughly. Then I fry it without oil in my air frier at 400 F for 30 minutes. There is nothing that I know of that will survive such measures.
Wait, you wash and cook your food? What a novel idea!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Apparently. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I can deal with a little poo. E.Coli is another story. Wash it, cook it and eat it. Solid advice!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

tvenuto wrote:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:ahhhh....why do I always feel like I'm raining on Spyder's Food Threads......Chickens!!!!

If You’re Eating Chicken, You’re Eating Poop!
Ah sensational clickbait statements regarding diet. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Firstly, there are certainly problems with the American Factory Farm. We have the bad habit of focusing on one variable, and seeking to increase it without regard to what might happen to all others. In this case we tried to create as many calories as possible for as cheaply as possible. We've gone down that particular path, and there are consequences. We need to figure out how to feed our population in a way that minimizes the negative aspects to people, the environment, and the animals themselves. It's a delicate balancing act and not an easy problem to solve.

However, ridiculous statements such as the above do nothing to further the discourse on the matter. Hysterical my-uncle-sent-me-this-chain-email style rants do quite the opposite, since they make many indefensible claims and offer little in the way of solutions. In the toothbrush episode of the mythbusters they even found fecal matter on the control toothbrushes, which weren't in the bathroom, so on a microscopic scale this is pretty much true of everything you eat, and may not even be a problem. The feces of animals has long been used to fertilize the ground on which food is grown, and the worms that aerate the soil do so through their bodies. Are you prepared to make an argument on the merit of one feces vs another? Statements like the above are only inserted to elicit an emotional reaction, which is unhelpful for problem solving.

When we kill a plant or an animal to eat it, we are imposing our will upon it. This is the nature of the predator/prey relationship and I don't think it can be moralized as simply as some believe.

we are all routinely covered in fecal organisms.....I'm not going to eat it if avoidable.....enjoy your fecal fried chicken...Doc:)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:we are all routinely covered in fecal organisms.....I'm not going to eat it if avoidable.....enjoy your fecal fried chicken...Doc:)
I will. Enjoy your...fecal everything else?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

As someone who travels the world, I'm regularly amused and puzzled by the 'germophobes' out there....

When you're eating in Bangalore or Manila, you pick whatever the locals recommend (Horror- it may be chicken!) and enjoy....Sure, avoid the salad (which will almost certainly be fertilised with human waste) and the tap-water but eat the cooked produce with confidence....I've taken this approach for the last 10 years with work and various places, and haven't suffered.

(Actually, the only 'travelers tummy' I can clearly recall was- at home- in England, on a drive back from Kent, and a very, very oily slice of service-station pizza I knew was suspect the second I bit into it- Boy, it turned me inside out for 2 days....Irony being 3 weeks later I was in Bangalore, eating Chicken Tikka Madras and peshwari naan without a hitch...and Chicken Tikka is made by a pre-cooking 24 hour marinating of the raw meat in live bacteria-packed yoghurt, all in a likely '3rd world' hygiene setting ;) )

Heck- I walked into my hotel room in the Torrance Marriott two weeks ago and - yet again- laughed out loud because (instead of a normal china mug and a stainless spoon), the coffee maker was provided with two paper cups and zip-stix for stirrers, all of which were shrink-wrapped and then the whole lot shrink-wrapped again.... AND MY TV REMOTE WAS PROVIDED IN A SANITISED BAG... My company's paying a fortune for me to stay here- give me a sodding coffee cup made from ceramic like a grown up, thank you kindly...I'm going to be putting boiling water into it- if the contagion the last person who used the mug survives that then who am I to complain? ;)

No food chain is a sterile as it is in the US- yet there are 7 billion of us wandering around the planet....Curious those two pieces of data taken together.

Personally, I see it as the greatest negative achievement from the 'Health & Safety Nazis'- the fact that many otherwise sensible people approach a plate of decent, well-cooked food with a level of anxiety that should be reserved for venomous insects. :(

(Note: in the UK the Food Standards Agency actually recommends we DON'T wash chicken before cooking- as washing actually increasing the number of bacteria adhering to the meat!)

In short- Eat the chicken. Go play in the mud. Buy that dodgy looking kebab meat at 2am.....If you aren't immune-system-compromised for any reason, get stuck in and enjoy it.

You want to know what's wrong with food?- It's not that unpasteurized Stilton slice, exploding with bacteria of all types and perfumed with a hint of sweaty feet....It's that slab of tasteless, odourless, chemical-processed orange polymer substance claiming to be 'American Cheese' in it's pre-cut shrink-wrapped square that gets whacked onto every burger.

Rant over :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Chickens are nasty animals. They will eat anything. Also, I used to be a food/restaurant inspector and you can see all sorts of tapeworms and etc. on fresh chicken meat. Farm raised are as bad as production raised chickens, and sometimes worse. I will soak and wash, period. I will cook at temperatures and durations high enough and long enough to kill anything. I'll do it and enjoy it.

There is not much better than fried chicken, with the skin still on, in my opinion, for a tasty meal.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thread officially derailed, although I'm sure SEF doesn't mind. Along that vein, Demon, there was a great series on Netflix recently called "Cooked."

https://youtu.be/epMAq5WYJk4
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:Chickens are nasty animals. They will eat anything. Also, I used to be a food/restaurant inspector and you can see all sorts of tapeworms and etc. on fresh chicken meat. Farm raised are as bad as production raised chickens, and sometimes worse. I will soak and wash, period. I will cook at temperatures and durations high enough and long enough to kill anything. I'll do it and enjoy it.

There is not much better than fried chicken, with the skin still on, in my opinion, for a tasty meal.
If you think chickens are bad, don't ever eat lobster. :D Cop I was friends with 50 years ago got on his Captain's bad side and, among other less than pleasant duties, had to accompany the coroner to photograph fingerprint dead bodies. Said he'd never eat lobster again after finding half a dozen of them feeding on a body that had washed up on shore. Image
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote: There is not much better than fried chicken, with the skin still on, in my opinion, for a tasty meal.
Doc, I'm with you on this one, but I wouldn't eat 30 pieces of fried chicken in a year and I don't eat anything else fried unless it's something my vegetarian wife of 36 years fried, but when I do have a piece of freshly fried chook I'd like it better with extra skin.

TV and others make valid points and things aren't much better here. You may be aware of the iconic Aussie Meat Pie? Some one got the idea to look at what type of meat was actually in a "meat" pie. The populous was shocked to learn that as well as traces of all the domestic meats, beef, mutton and pork there was deer, goat, horse, camel, buffalo and God knows what. There where the customary headlines and no one ate dogs eyes (a dogs eye is a pie in Australian) for a couple of days. No one died or got sick so it didn't matter too much and people forgot about it. People still eat dogs eyes and most like them with dead horse. (dead horse is tomato sauce, your ketchup in Australian)

It's all pretty scary! A few weeks back it was reported on the nightly news that people had contracted salmonella from eating Rockmelon! :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Chicken....

my very un-scientific chicken buying preferences are this; NO to regular store brand and big producer pre-packaged chicken, yes to "natural/organic" or local raised chicken. The reason for this is my nose... the meat diaper (pad under the meat on the styrofoam flat) from the "regular" chicken smells like week old road kill in my trash can after about 12 hours, whereas the chicken from my local producer and the premium in-store brand (which claims free-range, no antibiotics, all veg. diet and hand processed) have no nasty odor within the normal trash emptying cycle.

I don't cook meat rare except for beef or lamb, so I'm not worried about getting sick from chicken, but that smell is certainly a sign of *something* and my nose says it's not a good sign!

It does seem like there is a bit of a movement in commercial meat production to increase quality of life *slightly* for the animals, though IMO there is a very long way to go yet. I don't eat big name producer pork at all due to the standard practices in that industry :(

I know that in the end we're killing and eating all of these animals, so it's really just degrees of cruelty, but I would and do pay more for meat that's produced under less terrible conditions for the animals. Same goes for the workers in that industry, at least in the US it seems like we need an adjustment in our expectations of meat pricing so that producers can still make money while treating the animals and workers better.

I still like fried chicken ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...