The Capt'n's Boat is Sold

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Capt'n Boatsalot

The Capt'n's Boat is Sold

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Hey guys,
I sold my boat today. As the saying goes, today should be one of the two happiest days in a boat owners' life (the other being the day I bought it). I was very fortunate in that my parents decided to buy it and use it on the lake they live on. To accomplish this, it has to be shipped half way across the country. Below is a photo of it loaded onto the trailer for the journey.
My wife and I decided to sell it because it's just too small for our growing family. (It is a Mastercraft Prostar 190, and if you're not familiar with tournament ski boats, it is optimal for 3-4 adults for dedicated ski seasons, one of whom should be in the water.) With 2 kids and all of the necessary equipment, it was just too loaded down an full to be really enjoyable to use. It also didn't easily handle the big water often found on Washington's lakes on the weekend.
And so off it goes to warmer weather and will in all likelihood be used more than I was using it. All of this is great (especially since I'll still get to use it when we visit), but it's still bittersweet to let it go. It's been quite a reliable and an awful fun machine. I have loved the simplistic and reliable design that is wholly dedicated to producing the best ski wake without compromise. (Sounds kind of like what Spydies do for cutting :spyder: .)
We'll get another boat in the next year or two, but for now, this Captain is without a ship. :(

Loaded for travel today:

Summer on Lake Sammamish several years ago:

Me doing my thing:
remnar

Re: The Capt'n's Boat is Sold

Post by remnar »

Capt'n, that's a nice ski boat and I'm sure your parents will enjoy it. I spent much of my youth on Lake Tapps, but it's been a while since I've had the chance to do some slalom. Your picture is great and it reminds me of this old pic taken of me at Vantage in Eastern Washington.

I hope you're able to get a more family oriented vessel soon. :)
Capt'n Boatsalot

Thanks remnar, your photo looks great! We've taken this boat to Vantage a couple of times, and we've loved it each time. Quite interesting weather out there - crazy windy all night and then perfectly calm during the day. And the topology is amazing as well (contributes to the overnight windiness, as I understand it)! Next year I hope to update this thread with the latest vessel! :cool:
remnar wrote:Capt'n, that's a nice ski boat and I'm sure your parents will enjoy it. I spent much of my youth on Lake Tapps, but it's been a while since I've had the chance to do some slalom. Your picture is great and it reminds me of this old pic taken of me at Vantage in Eastern Washington.

I hope you're able to get a more family oriented vessel soon. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

That was a sweet boat Capt'n! My family had a cottage in SW Michigan where I learned to barefoot off a boom attached to an older Mastercraft. I never did get any good at footin' but I sure did love to rip it up on a slalom ski. Man do I miss those days! The last time I went water skiing was on the same lake at a family reuinion about 10 years ago. I went at it like I was 20 again and paid the price for several days after. :-)

I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of the new ride!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hey Capt.,
Sorry to year about your boat, brother. Hopefully you will get a larger replacement model soon. Mastercraft makes a solid ski boat. As a kid, I spent a lot of time tubing behind my parents' 1989 Glastron (outboard). They ended up selling it in the mid '90's after our family exceeded the six person capacity. We had a LOT of fun with that boat.

Here are some pictures of my wife and my boat. It is a 2000 Ski Nautique. I learned to ski behind this boat, so it holds a bit of sentimental value to me.

P.S. We have that same exact ski rope that you have in your first picture. :)

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderNut wrote:Hey Capt.,
Sorry to year about your boat, brother. Hopefully you will get a larger replacement model soon. Mastercraft makes a solid ski boat. As a kid, I spent a lot of time tubing behind my parents' 1989 Glastron (outboard). They ended up selling it in the mid '90's after our family exceeded the six person capacity. We had a LOT of fun with that boat.

Here are some pictures of my wife and my boat. It is a 2000 Ski Nautique. I learned to ski behind this boat, so it holds a bit of sentimental value to me.
Nice Ski Nautique Michael. It's nice to see ski boats that are still configured for slalom skiing. It seems like most of the ski boats you see nowadays are set up for wake boarding.
SpyderNut wrote:P.S. We have that same exact ski rope that you have in your first picture. :)
We had one like that too. They're for skiing on a slalom course.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Hi Michael,
Beautiful Nautique! I really love all of the closed bow ski boats - mostly the clean lines that the closed bow produces! My folks originally had an Neuman outboard and then a Conroy (Glastron) I/O, which is what I learned to ski on. Once I went to college, they upgraded to an inboard Malibu, and then a second larger Malibu. Wonderful boats, all of them, with loads of good memories. The sentimental value of my Prostar was one of the reasons why I think my parents elected to buy it from me, that and it is perfect for the lake that they are on!
On the rope - my brother is a course skier and I'm an intermediate open-water skier, and adjusting the rope length is definitely part of the fun. I was in Arkansas this past weekend (where incidentally I donated a SE H1 DF2 to Beaver Lake... :mad: ) skiing behind my folks' Malibu. Fantastically small and soft wakes at 22' off.

P.S. We have that same exact ski rope that you have in your first picture. :)

Capt'n Boatsalot

I couldn't count the number of the times the guys with the large wake boats would sidle up to me in my Prostar and comment on it's beauty! The sleek lines (no tower :) ) are universally attractive! (At least I sure think so - obviously I'm waaay beyond biased!) But us skier types are definitely a dwindling breed...
Sharp Guy wrote:
Nice Ski Nautique Michael. It's nice to see ski boats that are still configured for slalom skiing. It seems like most of the ski boats you see nowadays are set up for wake boarding.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sharp Guy wrote:

SpyderNut wrote:P.S. We have that same exact ski rope that you have in your first picture. :)
We had one like that too. They're for skiing on a slalom course.
Thank you, sir. :) It sure is a lot of fun! :D
I totally agree with you regarding the trend towards larger ski boats. I mean, the newer "ski" boats, like the Super Air Nautique 230, is a behemoth of a boat. It doesn't even resemble a ski boat, IMHO. :( (The 230 will hold 15 people...egads).

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:I couldn't count the number of the times the guys with the large wake boats would sidle up to me in my Prostar and comment on it's beauty! The sleek lines (no tower :) ) are universally attractive! (At least I sure think so - obviously I'm waaay beyond biased!) But us skier types are definitely a dwindling breed...
Sharp Guy wrote:
Amen, brother. I couldn't agree more. :D The traditional lines on the traditional ski boats is a thing of beauty. My brother has a Malibu Wakesetter with a tower. It is a nice boat, but he has to drop the tower every time he goes under the bridge to get to his side of the lake. ;)

remnar

Post by remnar »

I also find the sleek traditional ski boats to be beautiful and I think all of the new boats that have the towers with all the crap mounted on them just look funny. When I was much younger I really wanted a Barefoot Warrior. I think it was because the outboard allowed for an even lower profile. :rolleyes:

(Stolen photo)
Capt'n Boatsalot

The boat was delivered to my folks' house over the weekend. But upon pulling the cover off, they found that the windshield had shattered during the journey. Likely due to jostling during the journey. Unfortunately, stuff happens, but in this case it's expensive to fix as windshields for this boat are hard to find (and curved in multiple planes). Fortunately, I purchased insurance and our carrier also carries his own insurance, so that'll cover the bulk of the cost. But tracking down a windshield for a 27 year old boat is difficult.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Sorry to hear! Good luck in your search to find one. There's a pretty big MasterCraft dealer here in DFW. Maybe they can help?

http://www.texasmastercraft.com
Capt'n Boatsalot

Thanks Sharp Guy. We've got a local shop that is going to try and use tempered glass tomorrow. Will contact DFW MC dealer if that falls through. Really appreciate the tip!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Capt`n , may I ask you a question, please, about boats and large fish?

A friend of mine who has done a lot of sailing and open-sea fishing told me that in general most steel-hulled boats are impervious to shark bites and other large fish, but I read somewhere that some shark teeth have been recorded and tested to be able to bite through thinner steel hulls and, at least hypothetically, a large and determined shark could conceivably sink or seriously damage a small (small being in the 5-30 foot length) boat or ship even if it has a thin steel hull. What do you think the reality is in such situations?

my second question for you:

I read about and have had discussions with people who have this visionary idea of building a permanent "floating sea colony" made up of a series of large yacht like boats, floating sea platforms, and the like, to where they could literally become an independent oceanic mini nation unto themselves, trading with already-established nations and being a haven for people who do not want to live on established land governments. From your knowledge of boats and the sea and related matters what are your thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance!
Capt'n Boatsalot

Hi SEF,

Well my experience is virtually entirely limited to inland freshwater lakes. My boat was a water sports specific boat (i.e. waterskiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, tubing, etc), and I'm actually a terrible fisherman (lacking in the necessary patience, among other things :p ). So I don't have specific insights into open-sea fishing (or fresh-water fishing, for that matter). Generally I am aware that sharks have incredible jaw strength and resulting bite pressure and it would not surprise me that they could (if sufficiently motivated, notwithstanding Hollywood reality) significantly damage a lesser vessel. My boat was an all fiberglass boat with low gunnels - if a shark did attack it, it would not hold up at all and I'd be in deep water... :eek: :D

Hmmm, the idea of large floating sea colony is interesting. My first thought is technical - I think we have sufficient technical knowledge in the areas of marine architecture/engineering to make a vessel that could provide the needed amenities (i.e. power, navigation, propulsion, stability, freshwater, sustainable agriculture, etc). However, I wonder about the cost to build such a vessel and if the trade with established governments would be sufficient to pay for the design/build of the vessel. And the second major problem is of course human - you'd need to have a sufficiently large colony to make it self sustaining and to produce enough exports to be worthwhile to sell to other nations, but with that large group you'd need a clear, fair charter for who's in power and how that power is transferred. And that sort of charter would seem to not align with the basic premise of folks who did not want to live in established land governments. In general I'd expect that the technical challenges could be met. The challenges of fairly governing a large population in a sustainable manner would IMO be the real challenge.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Capt`n , may I ask you a question, please, about boats and large fish?

A friend of mine who has done a lot of sailing and open-sea fishing told me that in general most steel-hulled boats are impervious to shark bites and other large fish, but I read somewhere that some shark teeth have been recorded and tested to be able to bite through thinner steel hulls and, at least hypothetically, a large and determined shark could conceivably sink or seriously damage a small (small being in the 5-30 foot length) boat or ship even if it has a thin steel hull. What do you think the reality is in such situations?

my second question for you:

I read about and have had discussions with people who have this visionary idea of building a permanent "floating sea colony" made up of a series of large yacht like boats, floating sea platforms, and the like, to where they could literally become an independent oceanic mini nation unto themselves, trading with already-established nations and being a haven for people who do not want to live on established land governments. From your knowledge of boats and the sea and related matters what are your thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance!
Capt'n Boatsalot

And an update on my boat's windshield...

The local glass shop was able to bend a piece of tempered glass in and so my [old] boat is whole again. It took 2 shops and a week, but they managed to do it! Now we're working on getting the insurance squared away.

ETA: Pictures!

Broken:

And repaired: