Okapi Knives: Great News!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Okapi Knives: Great News!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I just found out the company known as CAS Iberia which has been an importer of knives and swords from around the world for years, will now carry and be a distributor for the famous South African-made Okapi Knives!

Check this out:

http://casiberia.com/product/okapi-lock ... dle/ko9071

If you are unfamiliar with them, Okapi folding knives (they also make other knives and edged tools, too) are carried and used by people all over Africa and the world as inexpensive, great quality cutting tools, for everyday carry and hunting and survival and much more.

http://casiberia.com/category/okapi-too ... ives/okapi

There is their main Okapi knife page.

Cold Steel's Kudu was based on the Okapi folder.
Dr. Snubnose

Re: Okapi Knives: Great News!

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Not a fan of Okapi....Not a fan of CAS Iberia, because they are way expensive for what they sell....but this is like really cheap....and the product IMHO looks it.....Doc:)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Not a fan of Okapi....Not a fan of CAS Iberia, because they are way expensive for what they sell....but this is like really cheap....and the product IMHO looks it.....Doc:)
"Specs will vary slightly from piece to piece."
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

tvenuto wrote:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Not a fan of Okapi....Not a fan of CAS Iberia, because they are way expensive for what they sell....but this is like really cheap....and the product IMHO looks it.....Doc:)
"Specs will vary slightly from piece to piece."
You can say that again.. I have two (bought one before knowing another was incoming as a gift) and they both are kind of kit knives to be honest. One was so dull i have butter knives that are sharper, and the other had a very very rough handle, that one too is pretty child safe. I'd say they're worth the $22,95 i payed but not much more.
The Svord Peasant is way better IMO
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderEdgeForever

If one of us or some of us were to contact the Okapi knife makers and explain this to them do you think their quality control people would bring about changes and make the knives better or no?
Studey

Post by Studey »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:If one of us or some of us were to contact the Okapi knife makers and explain this to them do you think their quality control people would bring about changes and make the knives better or no?
Why don't you get hold of them and see what they say?
SpyderEdgeForever

Good idea Studey. Thank you.

A related question to you all: What are some other blade shapes and patterns Okapi could make their knives with that would be good?
Studey

Post by Studey »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Good idea Studey. Thank you.

A related question to you all: What are some other blade shapes and patterns Okapi could make their knives with that would be good?

What blade shapes and patterns do you think would be good?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Tell me again why we are trying to re-invent the Okapi?....Doc:)
SpyderEdgeForever

Okay, to answer both Doc and Studey: I would like to see Okapi make some of their knives with "beefier" and stronger tips, even if the cost of material went up a bit for those particular new knives. They are good and useful as is but I have seen French made knives of that style with stronger tips, more defined tips and edges, too.

I would also like to see some more saber ground blades on them and perhaps more well defined drop and clip points.
Studey

Post by Studey »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Okay, to answer both Doc and Studey: I would like to see Okapi make some of their knives with "beefier" and stronger tips, even if the cost of material went up a bit for those particular new knives. They are good and useful as is but I have seen French made knives of that style with stronger tips, more defined tips and edges, too.

I would also like to see some more saber ground blades on them and perhaps more well defined drop and clip points.
Have you broken any points on your Okapis, are had to be careful using them due to their blades? Do you own any?
SpyderEdgeForever

I have never broken a point on an Okapi. I do own two of them, a small one and a larger one. Both are excellent knives and I enjoy them 100 percent as an everyday carry tool and all-purpose and special-purpose cutting tool.

I would love to see Spyderco join with Okapi on a collaborative knife design.
Studey

Post by Studey »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I have never broken a point on an Okapi. I do own two of them, a small one and a larger one. Both are excellent knives and I enjoy them 100 percent as an everyday carry tool and all-purpose and special-purpose cutting tool.

I would love to see Spyderco join with Okapi on a collaborative knife design.
I wouldn't be shocked to see it as an ethnic design sometime.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

So is it sacrilege for me, as a South African, to really not like the Okapi? ;-)
Ninja Nic

Post by Ninja Nic »

Skaaphaas wrote:So is it sacrilege for me, as a South African, to really not like the Okapi? ;-)
Any blade can be useful to a degree but I personly dont dig the Okapis that much etiher - I'm also from S.A
A man without a knife, is a man without a life.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd rather see a Spyderco Douk-douk than Okapi to be honest..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The first one I had was chrome plated steel. It doesn't surprise me to see it listed as 1055. Not bad for a $3 knife but I scratch my head thinking about Spyderco collabs with what are/were essentially throw away knives before razor knives came out.
Ninja Nic

Post by Ninja Nic »

Larry_Mott wrote:I'd rather see a Spyderco Douk-douk than Okapi to be honest..
Agreed. That would be awesome.
A man without a knife, is a man without a life.