Negligent discharge

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Negligent discharge

Post by Evil D »

It finally happened today, and it was out of absolute complete stupidity. Thankfully I was home alone and all it's going to cost me is a medicine cabinet and a lot of pride.

I've been struggling with not being able to carry at work lately. There were 5 shootings in Cincinnati last night alone, in the same areas I work in everyday. On one hand I really love my job and it would mean getting fired if I get caught carrying or if I had to pull it or God forbid use it. But, I keep coming back around to thinking I'd rather loselose my job than my life if it came down to it.

So, I've been trying out some different deep concealment holsters. The latest is a Smart Carry that I got for the wife. It carries ok for what it is but I was concerned about being able to draw it from deep inside my pants if I had to.

Over the course of about a half hour, I had unloaded and reloaded this gun about 3 times at least, because I kept questioning whether I liked it or not and I was trying to leave the house. Every time I would try drawing it and such, I would unload it, because I'm extremely cautious with my guns.

Well, the last time was one time too many. Rule #1 is never have ammo in the same area that you're dry firing a gun in, and somehow I got myself mixed up and shot my bathroom mirror.

Guys let me tell you, there are no words to describe how I'm feeling. Shame, disappointment, anger, fear, they just scratch the surface. I cried for about a half hour afterwards because I'm so mad at myself and I start getting choked up every time I think about it, which is pretty much constantly since my ears are ringing so loud I can barely hear. This is something I absolutely had control of and knew **** well better than to do. I'm not the type to believe this can't happen to me, quite the opposite actually I expect it to happen and that's why I'm always so cautious. I go over the 4 rules in my head every time I handle a gun but it only takes one absence minded moment to make a mistake that you can't take back.

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm sharing this. Hopefully someone can learn from my screw up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Skaaphaas

Re: Negligent discharge

Post by Skaaphaas »

Big up for admitting to it on open forum.

I think the best you can do is to take the lesson from it. You can only ever learn from a mistake if you admit to the mistake first, so you're well on your way.

That was probably loud as all ****, though, in the bathroom without earpro.

Edit - I don't want to sound light about it. I've done the same, except into a wall. What I meant with the above was that the 4 rules are somewhat supportive of each other, to prevent tragedy. You still pointed it in a safe direction. You didn't injure anyone or yourself.

So best is, take it on the chin that you screwed up (yes, I said it. I also screwed up that one time), put it behind you, but take the lesson with you.

My lesson was one of not getting complacent.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:Hopefully someone can learn from my screw up.
I agree with Skaaphaas, it was very big of you to post this. I have no doubt that you're a bit shaken up. I'm sure you're thankful that it was only the medicine cabinet that took the hit. Live and learn and count your blessings I guess. Hopefully, your sharing your experience will help prevent someone from doing the same thing.

I've actually seen this happen a couple times before. Both people are typically very safe but for some reason didn't follow the rules. Thankfully nobody was hurt and to this day both say they don't what possessed them to do what they did.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Agree with others, take away a lesson from it. You aren't alone, had something similar happen about ten years ago, been around guns my whole life, reload, work on guns, have an extensive collection ranging from old Winchester pump .22's to custom .45's, I was function testing an old pump .22 with shorts(rounds) in the garage, pump shorts through the action, thought I had all the rounds out even checked the bore, pulled the trigger and bang, went through the garage door and into our travel trailer in the drive. To this day I still can't figure out what went wrong, other than I should have been using a designed backstop.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It was extremely loud. My ears will probably be ringing for a couple days. It's a scary feeling when your gun goes bang when you expect a click. I'm the type of person that doesn't need told how bad he screws up, I beat myself up over it plenty. It's some really disappointing especially since up until that point I had done everything right and had been checking for empty chamber etc. Thankfully this is an old house and the medicine cabinets are steel but it did go clean through and into the bathroom on the other side of the wall before it stopped, 3 layers of steel and one tube of Icy Hot lol.

It's something I won't ever let myself live down. I'll be thinking about it every time I handle a gun.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thank the Good Lord your okay David.
Fortunately, Ive only had one accidental discharge.
I was about 15 years old, out in a field with my daddy and little brother and I had a 12 gauge shotgun go off.
I still to this day thank The Good Lord all was alright...
It scares the livin **** out of ya for sure...
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Hope your hearing is ok.

Glad no one else was injured.

And don't beat yourself up about it...you've gained some priceless experience that will serve you well.

My best friend killed his stove with a 12 gauge when the preacher came over to socialize with him and his wife.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The best lessons in life are learned the hard way. You just got one **** of a lesson.

My one negligent discharge was while drawing a revolver from an open strong side holster. I must have got my finger on the trigger a little early and I missed my foot by just a couple of inches. It happened so fast that I am not sure what even happened. I must have put my finger on the trigger as I was cocking the hammer during the draw. I wasn't trying to quick draw like a cowboy but I was in a hurry. I am a lot more aware of my finger now when drawing.

I know someone who blew the clock off his livingroom wall with a shotgun once.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'll swear fellas, if you mess with guns long enough an accidental discharge is more likely than not gonna happen.

****For Studey****
This is not my attitude toward firearms.
Im just tryin to say that "it happens to the best of us"
And it dam sure does....
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Glad no one was hurt, Evil. Takes a lot to admit something like this, so hopefully someone else can use this as a reminder to be extra careful. Nothing to do now but be more diligent in the future.
MacLaren wrote:I'll swear fellas, if you mess with guns long enough an accidental discharge is more likely than not gonna happen.
This is a completely unacceptable line of reasoning. It's always a possibility, which is why it always requires the utmost care. I don't particularly mean to come off rude, but the above is a ridiculous attitude to have. "If I handle enough guns long enough, I'm bound to have an accident." If that's the case, then the problem is YOU. Accidental discharges are incredibly uncommon...almost every situation someone claims is an AD is a negligent discharge.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Studey wrote:Glad no one was hurt, Evil. Takes a lot to admit something like this, so hopefully someone else can use this as a reminder to be extra careful. Nothing to do now but be more diligent in the future.
MacLaren wrote:I'll swear fellas, if you mess with guns long enough an accidental discharge is more likely than not gonna happen.
This is a completely unacceptable line of reasoning. It's always a possibility, which is why it always requires the utmost care. I don't particularly mean to come off rude, but the above is a ridiculous attitude to have. "If I handle enough guns long enough, I'm bound to have an accident." If that's the case, then the problem is YOU. Accidental discharges are incredibly uncommon...almost every situation someone claims is an AD is a negligent discharge.
Wow...just wow.
Its not my attitude.
Son, as many years and as many times Ive carried a firearm, not to mention my dad was a combat firearms instructor, if that were my attitude Id be dead by now lol.
How arrogant for you to even consider that my attitude.
I was just trying make David feel better and not beat himself up too much by admitting that I had an accidental discharge and that A LOT of people have them.
Accidental discharges are just a fact of life.
You HAVE NO IDEA my attitude toward firearm safety...
Unbelievable....
Good God son, anyone knows not to have that kind of attitude toward firearms....I should say most people anyways lol...
Reckon I shouldve made that clear but .....wow.
Studey

Post by Studey »

MacLaren wrote:
Wow...just wow.
Its not my attitude.
Son, as many years and as many times Ive carried a firearm, not to mention my dad was a combat firearms instructor, if that were my attitude Id be dead by now lol.
I was just trying make David feel better and not beat himself up too much by admitting that I had an accidental discharge and that A LOT of people have them.
Unbelievable....
Good God son, anyone knows not to have that kind of attitude toward firearms....I should say most people anyways lol...

Calling me 'son' doesn't denote your skill, experience, or care around firearms. Plenty of older adults with lots of experience with firearms treat them carelessly.

Evil doesn't need to beat himself up, but this is certainly cause to step back and reevaluate his practices and handling, which he has done.

I don't have any idea of your attitude, but I am responding to your words. The statement "I'll swear fellas, if you mess with guns long enough an accidental discharge is more likely than not gonna happen," sounds like a lackadaisical attitude. I'm glad to hear that what I mentioned isn't your attitude, but you might take more care in how you phrase things.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Studey wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Wow...just wow.
Its not my attitude.
Unbelievable....

Calling me 'son' doesn't denote your skill, experience, or care around firearms. Plenty of older adults with lots of experience with firearms treat them carelessly.

Evil doesn't need to beat himself up, but this is certainly cause to step back and reevaluate his practices and handling, which he has done.

I don't have any idea of your attitude, but I am responding to your words. The statement "I'll swear fellas, if you mess with guns long enough an accidental discharge is more likely than not gonna happen," sounds like a lackadaisical attitude. I'm glad to hear that what I mentioned isn't your attitude, but you might take more care in how you phrase things.
Studey your correct. I should've been more clear.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for sharing this with us, David. It took a lot of courage to do so. I am very glad you (and your family) were not injured. Like Darby and the others mentioned, I'm sure it was a hard lesson, but at least it was not a tragic lesson. Years ago, my older sister once accidentally fired an "empty" .22 rifle into the ground while we were out at the range. The shot nearly hit her foot. My father was very upset by this and revoked her shooting privilege for the remainder of the day. It was a lesson she never forgot.
I once accidentally took some shrapnel in the head and forearm from a Ruger Mini Ranch Rifle (.223 cal) per my own negligence. Scared me to death. It is a lesson I will never forget. The scars will remind me of this for the rest of my life.

Glad you are ok, man.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Glad you are ok David!...You are not alone...after handling firearms for over 40+ years I can say it can happen to anyone at anytime, it happened to me twice during this 40 year time span....not trying to make it right...definitely user caused, and scary non-the-less. This is a good thread, because it reminds us when handling both knives and guns that we must remain vigilant.
First time I had an accidental discharge was in my bedroom, just brought my first firearm ever home. It was a little Government Model .380 caliber from Colt. Wife was in the shower...what better time to read the instructions and practice loading and unloading the firearm....(no distractions!)Load it up...no problem.... So my hands are shaking like a bad tuned motor, and I read...to unload firearm pull back on the slide...eject the round in the chamber, press the magazine release button, point gun in safe direction and pull trigger. Well....I read it wrong....As soon as I ejected a round...guess what another was chambered...pull the trigger... KaBooM!!!! The next hour I went crazy because we had shag carpeting in the bedroom and I could not find the bullet anywhere.....My wife found it the next day to her dismay....we had an antique chair next to our bed and my wife had just done the laundry earlier the day before....on the chair folded was our $450.00 Custom Bedspread and on top all my Flannel PJs.....The little .380 round penetrated all my PJ's and all the folded layers of bedspread and was sitting very nicely undamged on the seat of the antique chair surface. All I can say...besides the stupid part (that's me) There is something very macho about wearing bullet ridden clothing...specially to bed...lol...wife was not too happy bout bedspread.....Time number two was practicing dry firing in the living room aiming at the door frame of our front entrance...I had practiced for quite a while when the phone rang...I was waiting for the call....loaded up the gun and went to answer the phone...after the call sat right down and pulled off a round at the door frame....Kaboom!!!...was a light load .357 magnum so it didn't penetrate to the outside of my house, but I got lucky....for sure....Vigilance....very important....Accidental Discharge...if it can happen to a guy like me who has handled firearms for 40 years, trains Law Enforcement Officers in the use of Firearms...and a firearms instructor (not that anyone is going to want to have me as their instructor once the info goes viral) believe me it can happen to anyone who lets their guard down....Doc:)
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Rule #1 violation.....The price of firearms safety is continuous vigilance.

I've been teaching folks to shoot for nearly 40 years, civilian, military and LEO along with 20 years of competitive shooting. I've seen big name pro shooters have an ND as well as no name amateurs....unfortunately it happens...and thankfully MOST of the time with no casualties other than the shooters pride and occasionally their underwear. (in my experience the military shooters had the best safety process, then civvies....cops are dead last)

It happened, analyse the situation and correct your mistakes then move on. Agonizing over it won't help, and in most instance will cause more issues.

Mine was on my third day as a match armorer in the Marine Corps. I was doing a trigger job and function check on a 1911, loaded the magazine out of my 'dummy" box and took aim on a test target hung on locker full of weapon cleaning gear....third round cycling into the pistol and I took aim on the target, then BOOM.....scared the living crap out of me and everyone else in the shop. Figured my career was over as the Corps takes ND's very seriously but my mentor had watched over my shoulder through the whole process and pleaded my case to the boss. Nobody ever figured out how the round got into my box but I blame myself for not checking the rounds to insure they were all dummies...still do. It could have been much worse in that concrete block building.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Evil, I'm glad that no one was hurt. I think it is a sobering reminder for all of us and I appreciate that you feel comfortable enough to share your experience on the forum.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is always a "possibility" that an accidental discharge may happen. But it is not true that it is always a negligent discharge. That is idiotic. That means that even a mechanical failure is the fault of the gun handler. I had a Ruger rifle that went off when I worked the bolt with the safety on and my hand obviously far from the trigger. It turned out Ruger issued a recall on that particular series for that exact problem. I was no way by no means at fault.

Proper gun handling safety requires pointing a gun, especially one that is thought to be unloaded, in a safe direction because of mechanical failures, as well as negligent actions of a handler.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Studey

Post by Studey »

Doc Dan wrote:It is always a "possibility" that an accidental discharge may happen. But it is not true that it is always a negligent discharge. That is idiotic. That means that even a mechanical failure is the fault of the gun handler. I had a Ruger rifle that went off when I worked the bolt with the safety on and my hand obviously far from the trigger. It turned out Ruger issued a recall on that particular series for that exact problem. I was no way by no means at fault.

Proper gun handling safety requires pointing a gun, especially one that is thought to be unloaded, in a safe direction because of mechanical failures, as well as negligent actions of a handler.
It isn't always a negligent discharge, but people often use 'AD's and 'ND's interchangeably, which they are not. Frequently they say something like, "the gun just went off." That CAN be the case due to an actual problem with the firearm, but it usually isn't, as it usually comes out that there was some negligence. People blame things on guns that are their fault, just like "the sights are off!" (I'm not referring to you Doc, clearly there was an issue with that Ruger!)

You are correct about muzzle direction. The reason for the 4 rules is that if one of them is broken, everything is usually still fine. It's when more than one is broken that you tend to see NDs happening.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am so glad you are okay David!