What OTF or balisong?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ruarch

What OTF or balisong?

Post by Ruarch »

So Wisconsin has changed its knife laws, YAY! So what balisong and OTF do you recommend? I can legally own one now!!!!!! No knives are illegal for me to own!
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
gac

Re: What OTF or balisong?

Post by gac »

I've been wondering about this myself. I saw a Microtech on sale at $175 but just saw that it sold out. https://dsgarms.com/mtk120-10rd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not sure for me if the cost of an auto is worth the neat-o factor.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Benchmade Infidel
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'd probably have to get myself one of these if I was you

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/MT1222 ... gger-blade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I guess it all comes down to what you can afford. I always kick myself for not getting a Smallfly and Embassy when they were available but my mind was on other things and I always assumed I would get one down the road. I've always wanted a Benchmade 32 or 51 bali but they are pretty expensive over here. They have the tang cut outs rather than tang pins which I think makes for a more secure and long lasting knife. A cheaper option would be the Bradley Kimura series, good quality and a decent price or something from Bear & Son. Maybe if you know someone who's travelling abroad then you can get them to pick you up a Janisong :p

They're not otf's but the Kershaw Launch series look pretty cool. You get cpm 154cm steel and integral aluminium handles for about $100. Otherwise you're looking at offerings from Benchmade, Hogue, Piranha, ProTech and Microtech (I love their little UTX 70 models but again too pricey for me over here :( )
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Could you get a Spyderco Janisong there? That looks very cool. Designed by Michael Janich.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Idk man, I'm sort of in the same boat. For years I've said I wouldn't carry either even if I was legally allowed, and now I have a permit that literally says I'm allowed to carry weapons of mass destruction LOL. But, still I'm not sure if I'd change my EDC. I've been wanting an Autonomy for a while but I'm not sure I'd pick it over my other non auto Spydies.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I own a few MT OTFs (UTX-70, UTX-85, Ultratech, Troodon, and Combat Troodon), as well as a BM Infidel. All are well made and fun, but the one I carry the most is this Troodon.
Evil D wrote:Idk man, I'm sort of in the same boat. For years I've said I wouldn't carry either even if I was legally allowed, and now I have a permit that literally says I'm allowed to carry weapons of mass destruction LOL. But, still I'm not sure if I'd change my EDC. I've been wanting an Autonomy for a while but I'm not sure I'd pick it over my other non auto Spydies.
If you want to try an auto, I'd strongly recommend you start with a Boker Kalashnikov 74. Inexpensive, well built, takes a decent edge, and fun to play with.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote: If you want to try an auto, I'd strongly recommend you start with a Boker Kalashnikov 74. Inexpensive, well built, takes a decent edge, and fun to play with.
Ya know what I'd really like is a nice quality traditional switchblade. I think you and I have commented about this in the past, I think I remember you having some interest in them too? Any recommendations on one that doesn't cost a fortune but has good steel and build quality? And I know this may be less likely and probably heresy to you, but I wouldn't mind a pocket clip too :D

Something like this. I don't need mother of pearl scales and all that, I'm fine with plain black scales but a quality build and steel are most important.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:
The Deacon wrote: If you want to try an auto, I'd strongly recommend you start with a Boker Kalashnikov 74. Inexpensive, well built, takes a decent edge, and fun to play with.
Ya know what I'd really like is a nice quality traditional switchblade. I think you and I have commented about this in the past, I think I remember you having some interest in them too? Any recommendations on one that doesn't cost a fortune but has good steel and build quality? And I know this may be less likely and probably heresy to you, but I wouldn't mind a pocket clip too :D

Something like this. I don't need mother of pearl scales and all that, I'm fine with plain black scales but a quality build and steel are most important.
The tradition Italian style switchblades do have a certain charm. The best ones that aren't too expensive and have decent quality are probably the Frank Beltrames. My favorite Italian style is this one...
...probably not as good quality as the Frank B's, but it's left handed. Haven't seen one yet that was sharp out of the box, and the blades tend to be thick and narrow, so the edge angle is probably well over 40º. They also have the same "downside" as the Autonomy, the firing button is very exposed so you either carry with the safety on, which makes them way slower than a regular Spyderco, or risk an "accidental discharge" in your pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!