Value of 1st gen Glock 17?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Scottie3000

Value of 1st gen Glock 17?

Post by Scottie3000 »

I have a first gen Glock 17 and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a demand for such a gun to collectors. I was thinking of selling it for a gen 4 19 or 23 but only if I could get a good price for mine. Its in like new but fired condition.

Any info is appreciated!
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

There are still alot of 17's around and the prices on used one just bite. I would just keep it and save up for a used 23.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Cool, thanks for the info. Didn't know how many got out there When they first came out.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Scottie3000 wrote:Cool, thanks for the info. Didn't know how many got out there When they first came out.
It was one of the most caried by LEO's a PO departments everywhere.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'll have to agree on this. I know many Glock enthusiasts, but have yet to meet a Glock "collector" in the sense that they like new in box models in all the variations. People who buy them are prone to use them and a used Glock is a used Glock.

I don't ever see any premium for an early model around here and many would give less due to the fact that the design has evolved a bit over the years to have two pins on the locking block, light rail, finger grooves, etc.

In short, if you like it and it works, keep it as is and save up for another if you want something different.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

1st Gen Glock 19s do exist, but they're very rare, because Glock went to the checkered front/backstraps on all of its pistols shortly after production began. Also, the Glock 17L and Glock 18 both exist in 1st generation incarnations (though they're also pretty rare)........Collectable Glocks do exist and bring in a pretty premium:

Commemoratives Year Number Model Serial #s
Desert Storm 1991 1000 G17 UD###
10th Anniversary 1993 200 G17 AGM###
Army Aviators 1994 ? G17 AOO###
Atlanta Olympic Security 1997 2000 G17 ?
Bell Helicopter 1996 73 G23 BELL###
2,000,000th Glock 1999 2 G17 DAP000US
Alaska 2000 100 G27 DBW###
1,000,000th Glock ? 1 ?
NRA 2000 725 G22 DFY###
GSSF 10th Anniv. 2001 1000 G17 GSSF###
America's Heroes 2002 1000 G17
2002 1000 G21
2002 1000 G22
Ducks Unlimited ? ? G27 ?
Other Collectible Glocks Year Number Model Serial #s
Defense Set 1996 500 G19 AAA0000-AAA0499
1996 500 G26 AAB0000-AAB0499
1996 1500 G23 AAC0000-AAC1499
1996 1500 G27 AAD0000-AAD1499
Compensated G17L ? ? G17LC?
Original G18C 1986 ~7 G18C DU182US
9x21 G19 ? 3 G19
G17 w/external safety ? ? G17S?

Desert Storm Glock
This was a 1991 series of 1000 Glock 17s which had special engraving on it. A list of names of all the coalition countries is engraved down the top of the slide; "Operation Desert Storm/January 16-February 27, 1991" is engraved on the right side. On the left side is "New World Order/Commemorative".

The first 15 Desert Storm Glocks were special presentation models and had the special "bright black" finish. The special engraving on these was also slightly altered from the standard. These pistols were supposed to go to:

UD000US: George Bush, Commander-in-Chief
UD001US: Gen. H. Norman Schwartzkopf III (Commander-in-Chief, CentCom)
UD002US: James Baker III (Secy of State)
UD003US: Gen. Colin Powell (Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff)
UD004US: Dick Cheney (Secy of Defense)
UD005US: Brent Scowcroft (National Security Advisor)
UD006US: Lt. Gen. Thomas Kelly
UD007US: Lt. Gen. Chuck Horner (Commander, Air Forces, CentCom)
UD008US: Maj. Gen. Robert B Johnston (Chief-of-Staff, CentCom)
UD009US: Lt. Gen. Calvin Waller (Dpty Commander-in-Chief, CentCom)
UD010US: Lt. Gen. Walter Boomer (Commander, I MEF)
UD011US: Vice Adm. Stanley Arthur (Commander, Naval Forces, CentCom)
UD012US: Maj. Gen. William "Gus" Pagonis (Chief of Logistics, CentCom)
UD013US: Brig. Gen. Richard Neal (Operations Ofcr., CentCom)

Part of the special engraving was these men's names and ranks engraved on the slide. In addition all of these special presentations along with the next 35 Desert Storm Glocks came with the Wooden Display case made specially for the Desert Storm Glocks. The remaining 950 Desert Storm Commemoratives came in the standard Glock Box, but with desert camoflage labels.

On the lid of the box that the Desert Storm Commemorative comes in. In addition to the camoflage label on the top lid, there are special indications on the standard box labels on the ends which indicate it to be a Desert Storm Commemorative.

The absolutely most interesting feature of the Desert Storm Glock is the top of the slide. The entire length of the slide has the names of all the countries in the Desert Storm coalition engraved in it, both above AND below the ejection port. The Desert Storm Commemorative is the only Glock that has special markings/engraving on the top of the slide right from the factory.

10th Anniversary Commemorative Glock
This was a series of 200 Glock 17s sold in velvet-lined black leather cases with all accessories in individual compartments. The series was commissioned by Dynamite Nobel, the European distributor of the Glock for at least it's first 12 or so years of existence. Sold only in Europe.

Army Aviators' Glock
The Apache Pilot Commemorative is one of a series known as the Army Aviator's Commemoratives. These were made by Glock in 1994 for the Army Aviators Association of America, and most of them were sold through that organization, although I remember seeing an advertisement for them in one of my father's veteran's organizations news magazines (possibly the American Legion?). I know there were, at least, commemoratives made for the Apache, Kiowa Warrior and Blackhawk. I believe, but have nothing other than my spotty memory to verify, that there were also models made for the Huey (Iroquois), and Cobra.

Atlanta Olympic Security Glock
There was a 1996 series of 2000 G17s that were made for the Security Team members at the Olympics. According to a friend of mine who worked there and ordered three of them, Glock would let you order up to three per member. The only thing special about it is the engraving on the right side which simply says, "Security Team, Atlanta GA 1996" This Glock came in a standard Glock box, but an etched-glass topped wooden display case came with it. Glock made these because it was a sponsor of the 96 Olympics, and as all the sponsors did, Glock wanted to cash in on some publicity. :-) Glock recently sold the remaining 40-50 of these it still had that none of the Team members ordered.

There was special engraving on the '96 Atlanta Olympic Commemorative Glock 17. This engraving is on the right side of the slide towards the muzzle, just ahead of the ejection port. The really special feature of the Olympic Glock is the wooden case. There is red felt lining over foam rubber with a cut-out for the G-17. With the lid in the closed position, the etching in the plexiglass lid can be seen. Along the top center is "Security Team", in the top left corner is the Glock Logo, and along the bottom center is "Atlanta GA, 1996". There exists three pins in a pyramid shape under the trigger guard are "collar pins" (miniatures of the badges) in three different colors (white, black, & green) which were issued to members of the security team. The three pins to the left of the Glock are the Departmental Commemorative Pins for the three local law enforcement agencies in whose jurisdictions the games were held: Gwinnett Co. Police (the Shield), Atlanta PD (the blue bar), and Fulton Co. Sheriff's Dept. (the star). The badge in the lower left corner is the uniform badge of Security Team members who were local Law Enforcement Officers with full police powers, and the badge in the upper right corner is for the Security Team members who were "out-of-town" Law Enforcement Officers who had limited or no police powers. The silver shield pin in the upper left hand corner is the Glock "10th Anniversary" pin, which was given to Security Team members by Glock, but was not included with the "left-over" Security Team Glocks which were/are recently for sale through commercial channels.

Bell Helicopter Glock
In 1997 Glock produced a special edition to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Bell Helicopter. The Glock was a model 23 with the Atlanta 1996 Olympic logo on the top of the slide and the Bell 50 Year "Ping" logo on the right side of the slide. The guns has special serial numbers in the form BELL### and 73 were made.

The 2,000,000th Glock
In 1999 Glock produced a very special commemorative to celebrate its 2,000,000th pistol. Like most other commemoratives it is a model 17, and it is adorned with unique engraving. On right hand side of the slide are the words "My 2 millionth pistol" along with Gaston Glock's signature. The entire top and sides of the slide are also covered with engraved scrolling. The pistol, serial number DAP000US, was sold by silent auction and went to a winning bid of $9,300. Glock donated the entire proceeds plus a matching donation to C.O.P.S., a foundation for widows and orphans of officers killed in the line of duty.
2,000,000th Glock

In addition, an almost-duplicate pistol engraved almost the same way was sold in Europe. Gaston's "Two-Millionth-and-First Pistol".

Alaskan Glock
The Alaskan Glock is a series limited to 100 G-27s that were sold only in Alaska. Reportedly, the Alaskan Distributor, in concert with Glock, made these in the hopes of increasing sales in Alaska. Only 100 made, came in standard Glock bo

NRA Commemorative
A series of 725 Glock22s made in 2000. They were auctioned off at Friends of the NRA events around the country.

GSSF 10th Anniversary Commemorative
The GSSF Commemorative Glock was released in 2001 through and for the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation. Only members were allowed to order, and they were sold at the same price as direct sales to officers costs ($398.20 + $10.00 S&H). These 1000 pistols were to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of the organization which Glock, Inc. set up to encourage the use of Glock pistols in a competition that would not be dominated by professional shooters. For more info on GSSF go to [link]. Another unique thing about the GSSF Glock is that they do not have the "US" at the end of the serial number. Presumably, this was in order to fit the organization's initials into the serial number.
continued in next post:
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Dr. Snubnose

continued info on Glock collectables

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

America's Heroes Glocks
The America's Heroes Glocks are a new series distributed by Accu-Sport in 2002. They commemorate the fidelity, sacrifice, zeal and honor of the firefighting and law enforcement communities as demonstrated on September 11, 2001 during the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City.

The series consists of 1000 each G17s, G22s, & G21s. These Glocks are marked on the right side of the slide with a maltese cross (symbolizing firefighting) and a star (symbolizing law enforcement) with an arched banner between which says "America's Heroes". Below the banner is the date: 09-11-01.

These Glocks are unique in two ways: This is the first time Glock has produced a large-frame commemorative, with the G-21, and
The engraving is unique, compared to all previous commemoratives, in that the design is not cut into the metal. Rather, it is printed in a bronze-color, which, except for the color itself, appears much like Smith and Wesson's "Laser Engraving".

Not unique, as other commemorative or limited editions have had the same situation (GSSF Commemorative and Defense Sets), but these also do not have the "US" serial number suffix.
America's Heroes Glock A

Glock Defense Set
The Glock Defense set is a special release ordered by a pair of Glock distributors in 1996. Each set consists of a G19 & G26 or a G23 & G27. There were 500 9mm sets with serial numbers AAA0000 - AAA0499 for the G19 and AAB0000 - AAB0499 for the G26 and 1500 .40 sets with serial numbers AAC0000 - AAC1499 for the G23 and AAD0000 - AAD1499 for the G27. Unlike most other Glocks sold in the United States they do not have "US' in the serial number. The compacts are marked "One of Two" on the slide and the subcompacts are marked "Two of Two". They were not very popular and dealers often split the sets and sold each gun separately.

Compensated G17L (G17LC?)
Just to set the record straight, the ported barrel was the original bbl for the 17L. Glock recalled them after too many of them cracked and caused expensive warranty work. (As well as making them look bad, and these were the Karl Walter days when there was no such thing as a bad Glock feature...) Glock replaced the ported bbls with non-ported ones, and they have the L### on them in place of the serial number.

Original G18C
Early G18s had a 5 inch barrel that extended 1 inch past the end of the slide. The extended portion of the barrel had 3 ports cut into the top. Only about 7 of the first G18s had the extended ported barrels. They were discontinued due to front sights being blackened or completely blown off.

9x21 G19
Perhaps the rarest of all Glocks is the 9X21 G19. Three special agents of the US Naval Investigative Service were being stationed in Italy with some work being done incognito. Since it is illegal for civilians to carry standard 9mm (9X19) weapons, Glock produced 3 model 19s chambered for the 9X21 cartridge. The pistols are marked with the new caliber on the frame and barrel and have serial numbers EN260US, EN261US and EN262US.

G17 with factory external safety (G17S?)
Glock has manufactured a number of Glock 17 pistols fitted with an external, 1911-style, manual safety. The pistols were made at the request of the Tasmanian Police force. The actual number of pistols produced, date of manufacture and other details are not known.

Glock Collector's Association
The Glock Collectors Association is a not-for-profit corporation, formed to promote the collection of, research of, and preservation of Glock firearms, products and related collectibles for posterity. The association provides a means for the exchange of information through meetings and displays. The association also publishes a newsletter with information of interest to Glock enthusiasts and collectors.

Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Wow! Thanks for the info. I love learning about the details of other hobbies.
remnar

Re: Value of 1st gen Glock 17?

Post by remnar »

There isn't really a demand for them but some people do prefer the earlier Glocks without the finger grooves. I have a well taken care of gen. 2 model 23 that I've had offers on up to $425. I can't imagine that your 17 would bring more than that but I'm not an authority on the subject. :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Scottie3000 wrote:I have a first gen Glock 17 and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a demand for such a gun to collectors. I was thinking of selling it for a gen 4 19 or 23 but only if I could get a good price for mine. Its in like new but fired condition.

Any info is appreciated!
If it were mine I would send it to Glock. Glock will update all the internal parts to current standards for free. I would keep that pistol. A lot of people like that grip design. It actually fits a bit smaller in the hand. Then I would buy a 19 or 26 (or whatever you want) as they are not expensive. Most stores have layaway if cash up front is hard to come by.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I agree with keeping it vs. selling or trading. As the others mentioned, it will be wise to save up for something else because otherwise, some day you will likely kick yourself for selling or trading it. I know from experience: I let my dad sell his slightly used Glock 23 (with two pre-ban original mags) for a trade on a new crummy Taurus .9mm. :( Kinda' stinks now, but it is too late. I'll take an older Glock any day over the newest versions with finger grooves. Not my cup of tea.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:I agree with keeping it vs. selling or trading. As the others mentioned, it will be wise to save up for something else because otherwise, some day you will likely kick yourself for selling or trading it. I know from experience: I let my dad sell his slightly used Glock 23 (with two pre-ban original mags) for a trade on a new crummy Taurus .9mm. :( Kinda' stinks now, but it is too late. I'll take an older Glock any day over the newest versions with finger grooves. Not my cup of tea.
I am speechless over that trade.... Wow. C'mon man!!! Lol :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:I agree with keeping it vs. selling or trading. As the others mentioned, it will be wise to save up for something else because otherwise, some day you will likely kick yourself for selling or trading it. I know from experience: I let my dad sell his slightly used Glock 23 (with two pre-ban original mags) for a trade on a new crummy Taurus .9mm. :( Kinda' stinks now, but it is too late. I'll take an older Glock any day over the newest versions with finger grooves. Not my cup of tea.
I am speechless over that trade.... Wow. C'mon man!!! Lol :p
Lol! I know, right?! :rolleyes: My brother and I never let him live that one down. In fact, my brother now owns that 9mm and the stupid thing always drops the mag when you squeeze the grip. Poor design, unfortunately. ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

OP - I would trade it in for whatever you want or sell it to get what you really want if you don't love the 17. I have a gen 3 g21 sf and a g42. I love glocks!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I'm a retired FFL dealer and professional appraiser for auction houses, museums and private collectors....The average G17 1st Gen will bring around $350 to $400 based on condition. I have a few customers who will pay a little bit above that for a truly pristine example, but to most it's just a shooter.

BTW- Doc, back in the early Glock days several of us resourceful IPSC shooters built a few G17L guns in 9x21 (and a couple other homebrewed oddball calibers) also to "make major" on the pendulum and take advantage of the porting (something the 9x19 really doesn't do unless you hotrod it to unsafe levels.)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I love Glocks, period! When Glocks were first introduced I was the manager of a small chain of sporting goods stores and the Glock rep used to drive up to the stores towing a loaded Glock behind his car with a rope. The gun would bounce up and down on the road, get all chewed up. The rep would untie the gun and verify it had not discharged, then proceed to fire the entire magazine into our sand trap. Then, he would soak the pistol in mud, shake it out, then fire a full magazine. Amazing. In those early days the reps were pretty inventive with their demonstrations.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've still got my original Gen 1 Glock 17. Great weapon. It is now my home defense gun and loaded with appropriate rounds.

I agree that these things were very common back when they were first released. On a visit to a Federal LEO armory several years back, I saw an entire tri-wll pallet filled almost to the brim with decommissioned Gen1/Gen2 17s. These were bound for destruction/recycling after serving their users well for many years.

TedP
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Doc Dan wrote:I love Glocks, period! When Glocks were first introduced I was the manager of a small chain of sporting goods stores and the Glock rep used to drive up to the stores towing a loaded Glock behind his car with a rope. The gun would bounce up and down on the road, get all chewed up. The rep would untie the gun and verify it had not discharged, then proceed to fire the entire magazine into our sand trap. Then, he would soak the pistol in mud, shake it out, then fire a full magazine. Amazing. In those early days the reps were pretty inventive with their demonstrations.
Man, you aren't kidding. It was those same legendary *ahem* "testings" that first encouraged my father to purchase a Glock 23 many years ago. Hard to beat!

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, a lot of people would not believe it and then when they saw it, they still had a hard time! Haha! Glock is the pistol that convinced me to quite carrying my Colts. I have never been without owning at least one since that time. I finally traded in my old black G19 for a new OD Green one.
One thing that I never understood is why on earth the 45 GAP never caught on. It is a far better cartridge than the 45 ACP and just think of the wildcat that could me made with that short, fat case!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Doc Dan wrote:Yeah, a lot of people would not believe it and then when they saw it, they still had a hard time! Haha! Glock is the pistol that convinced me to quite carrying my Colts. I have never been without owning at least one since that time. I finally traded in my old black G19 for a new OD Green one.
One thing that I never understood is why on earth the 45 GAP never caught on. It is a far better cartridge than the 45 ACP and just think of the wildcat that could me made with that short, fat case!
Yeah, about that .45 GAP....No, it isn't a better cartridge than the ACP. It's slightly smaller, that's it. By design it has to run at +P pressure just to make comparable velocities with the ACP. This is a serious flaw in the "reloader heavy" USA...any mistakes or lapses in attentiveness while reloading and ...KABOOM. I have seen several GAP grenades directly related to this issue. Very similar to the .40 S&W reloads issues, fortunatly not many serious shooter injuries but lots of damaged Glocks and dirty underwear. The ACP, while considered clunky and ancient by many is really a MUCH better platform.

As to the wildcats, I've necked down the ACP case to take everything from .17 Remington rifle bullets, .22's, 32's, .355, .357, .400, .401, .410, .429....all fun and all having some purpose (even if it was just to see what would happen) but I never found one that could do anything better that an already in-use factory round. NOTE- All of my testing was done using 10in. barrel blanks fitted to a Thompson/Center Contender pistol specifically chambered to each wildcat variation with all possible safety precautions taken.

OH