Any Benchmade Fans Here?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
wolfgaze

Re: Any Benchmade Fans Here?

Post by wolfgaze »

I have the Cabella's edition Mini-Griptilian with D2 steel... I like it and it fits my smaller hands pretty well - although it doesn't get as much carry time as my Spyderco Manix 2 and Native 5....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:Man, you hit the nail on the head regarding the Boguszewski Spike model by BM, JD. I had wanted one of those puppies in a bad way ever since I laid eyes on it at a gun and knife show many years ago. Unfortunately, they are tough to find nowadays--especially in decent shape AND at a semi-reasonable price. I like a few BM models, such as the 350 Pardue and Resistor by Mike Snody and most of their older stuff (early 2000's). I also have a blue Mini-Griptilian that is pretty decent.
The twisted irony of the older, discontinued Benchmade Boguszewski Spike model is two fold>> first of all I heard through a reliable source that Phil Boguszewski and Benchmade had a bad falling out unfortunately. Second Spyderco had a model that was very similar to the Boguszewski Spike and that was the C-50 Centofante model>> I had petitioned Sal & Co. to consider the C-50 for a Sprint Run but I was immediately told that all of the tooling to make the knife were long gone.

The BM Boguszewski Spike had a rather large cult following >>in which the people like myself who really liked that model really liked it a lot. As a result any time one goes up for sale or trade they go very quickly. That knife was not only nice to look at it was a very functional EDC blade as well. I do wish that Benchmade would do a Sprint Run of the 640 ( the mini Spike) and the 650 model both with new handle and blade materials. I don't think they would have any trouble selling everyone they would make. The SPIKE was truly a super-classic of the 90s and no doubt one of Benchmade's best sellers.

Like I said before the Benchmade models that I like I tend to be fanatical about those models.
gusto5

Post by gusto5 »

TomAiello wrote:
gusto5 wrote:I've been eying an Axis Stryker, or one of the 2016 Foray AXIS from BM. The BM draw for me though, is the ambidextrous locking mechanism for someone who's left handed. Don't get me wrong, no problems with locks and left hand, but this sort of 'both ways' is nice.
I love the Spyderco CBBL for exactly this reason.
I was a checkout away from picking up a Manix 2 S30V, but I knew deep down in my heart what I really wanted was the Starmate :D
Starmate C55GP
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've bought Benchmades for a long time and still have a few that I really like. My biggest problem though is that I keep buying more and more Spyderco knives and they are trying to kick my few remaining Benchmades out of my EDC rotation.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have tried several but they just don't do it for me. I wanted an Emmisary in Blue until I handled one . The beautiful knife screams for a flipper and even has an opening in front of the back spacer but I hate an assisted that you open with thumb stud. Give it a flipper and ffg blade and it would be one of the finest out there but as is I wouldn't have it
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I currently have a Mini-Grip with Wilkins Grip, and a 771.

There are others that I like, but just haven't been on my radar enough to follow through with a purchase.
I do enjoy the Axis lock.
Going back to Caly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SpeedHoles wrote:I currently have a Mini-Grip with Wilkins Grip, and a 771.

There are others that I like, but just haven't been on my radar enough to follow through with a purchase.
I do enjoy the Axis lock.
Man, I totally agree on the Axis lock. I admire how simple--yet stong, this lock is.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Yep. As I mentioned earlier, it's the Axis Lock that keeps me being a fan.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I generally like Benchmade. I have a box full. I was wondering if anyone has one of the new overpriced gray G10 Griptilians?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I actually ordered another 810-1401 Contego, day before yesterday. It's a KW exclusive with M390.
I always regretted selling my first one.
See if i can hang on to this one.
Imo, its a really nice blade outfitted with M390 for a decent price.
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I like some Benchmades. I have two full size Grips and two 950 Rifts. I've bought all my knives in person at a Cutlery Shop etc. No quality issues. I can't rave about the 950 Rift enough. The G10 handle fits my X-large hands perfectly. Like everything else, it won't fit everyone. I know people say the handles have rough edges. I disagree. I understand people wanting jimping on thumb ramp area. IMO-the knife works without the jimping. There is just enough of a thumb ramp. I think most jimping is useless anyway and gives a false sense of security. Spyderco is the only company I know that does jimping right. The Rifts blade is beautiful. It cuts great and sharpens easily. A 3.7 " blade is packed into the good looking handle. It carries like a smaller knife. I do think the Rift should have S30V for the price. I believe it's Knife Center that has an exclusive blk/orange handled one with S30V. It's the same price or lower then standard Rift. I'm OK with the 154CM although it does aggravates me looking at the exclusive knife. If I only waited. I still got a good price at this Cutlery Shop-$145. Most everywhere else has them for $165. Out of about 40 knives I own, only 4 that just ooze quality. My two 950 Rifts and the Sage 1 and Sage 3. I'm passionate about the Rift and feel like I have to defend it. The two full size Grips are very good knives. Great F and F. I like everything about them.The handles fits very well and I don't mind the Nortex (?) plastic. Great blade. However, I feel they are overpriced. Probably should be closer to $75 then $100.
Spyderco has a lot of new stuff in this years line up. Other companies are upping their game too. ZT has some nice stuff out. Only about 3 that interest me though. I have a ZT 0562. The G10 with Elmax. This knife is close to perfection. I'm not sure what I would change if I could. Besides paying the extra $40 for carbon fiber and M390. But, I bought it at store and it was the only one. It does not ooze quality like the Rifts and Sages. Although, it's still close to perfection.
Cold Steel has upgraded steel and made some other changes. Check out the new American Lawman. The knife is much lighter. The handle is thinner and G10 toned way down. And has the upgraded steel. It's now about $95 but seems worth it. I've held one and it's in my list.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I just got a new Benchmade catalog in the mail today and the 490 Amicus is the one to check out. I called Benchmade a while back complaining about the Emissary not having a flipper. The Lady I talked to said check out the 490 and she was right. Axis assisted opener with flipper, Drop point S90V and tip up deep carry clip. They finally got one right.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I too have a Hinderer 0562. Mine is the CF version with M390. A lot of people actually like the ZT version better than the actual Hinderer! It is a very,very nice knife.
My M390 Contego arrived today. Very happy with it.
Of course I still look forward to the upcoming Spydies:)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I just got a new Benchmade catalog in the mail today and the 490 Amicus is the one to check out. I called Benchmade a while back complaining about the Emissary not having a flipper. The Lady I talked to said check out the 490 and she was right. Axis assisted opener with flipper, Drop point S90V and tip up deep carry clip. They finally got one right.

I do like that 490, thanks for posting about it! But, I do NOT like it being assisted. Think they'll have a version that is non-assisted, or can they be easily deassisted like a ZT?

I also like the looks of that Crooked River. But specs seem to be on the bigger side of my regular carry range.
Going back to Caly.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

My first ~$100 knife was a Benchmade 330 I received as a gift. I carried that thing for over a decade, almost exclusively. It really was a true gents folder, and absolutely invisible in pocket at 1.4oz and very slim.

But then I got a Dragonfly. From there on BM designs really haven't done it for me. The only two I still have other than the 330 is the 940-1 and the 555HG (which I never carried until I finally broke down and got custom scales). Now that I have the narrow-in-pocket Mantra2 the 940-1 hasn't left the house, and the Chap sees infinitely more pocket time than the 555.

330 after a couple decades of carry and abuse. No play and blade falls freely like a PM2 when the lock is disengaged.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Still waiting on you tube reviews for the 490. I always want to see several positive reviews on a knife before I decide to buy
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Jordan wrote:I like em, course... as is probably the case for most of us... Spyderco is my go to brand.
Same here.

Benchmade was my first brand for modern knives, many years ago. There are several of their designs that I really like but my EDC rotation is 3:1 Spyderco vs. other brands.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Benchmade talk in the spyderco forum?? Heresy!

Lol

Numerous Benchmades here. Very good to excellent quality with all of them.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I bit the bullet on a 940-1. It's been a model I've been following for some time now. I thought it would be too similar to the GB2 so that I would not have need for it, but found reasonable price (translation: I couldn't take myself down) on a new one.

The shape of the 940 is very similar to the GB2, which I love, both in the handle shape and edge profile. In very positive ways, the similarities end there. The 940-1 is much lighter, much slimmer, and much easier to operate quietly. I have never encountered a more efficient blade/handle package before, but that's probably because I'd been exclusively Spyderco until now. It has completely supplanted my Positron for regular/office carry.

The one downside is indeed the fit and finish on the 940-1, primarily in the blade centering and slight blade play when closed. I've been very spoiled by Taichung Spydies. The Gayle Bradley 2 is a much more substantial folder in size and materials, but also in the workmanship. The Benchmade is built quite well (good, even), with a strong customer service presence (I've already requested a deep carry clip), but the Taichung fit and finish is a whole other level of quality. I usually end up just carrying both daily even though they both cover the same usage spectrum, because I'm a bit crazy.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not a fan, by a long shot, but I do own and occasionally carry an Infidel that I purchased second hand. Aside from their OTF's I can't say any of their designs have ever called to me and, "agreement" or not, the "hole" issue makes me not want to put any money in their coffers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!