What else do you collect?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
archangel

What else do you collect?

Post by archangel »

What other things do you collect, and why?

Me, I own >100 LED flashlights. Among them are 7 pieces of German world class modder Vinz - my grails. :)
I guess I have always been drawn to lighting tools and toys. Light just fascinates me, and I guess I'm a bit afraid of the dark at the same time. And a technical, quite manly product that you can put into your pocket but that still has the ability to light an entire room just tingles me. :rolleyes: However lately I had to put this hobby on hold cause my new hobby - collecting spydies - took all my toy money. :D

So what do you invest your toy money in, other than :spyder: ?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JAfromMN

Re: What else do you collect?

Post by JAfromMN »

Multitool s, one piece multitools, flashlights, pens and watches.

I get a little carried away with my edc stuff.

I enjoy messing with my gear.

I've been sick for the last few months and my edc stuff helps give me something to do.

I'm not used to this not working crap.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

-Military Bayonets (from around the world)
-Other knives of various makes (anything that I like the "look" or "feel" of, or of interesting design or lock). I'm really enjoying the front flipping Boker Exskelibur Decade Edition.
-Police patches and challenge coins
-Interesting pistols
-Larue Tactical "Dillos"
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
ScottG

Post by ScottG »

I've been starting a traditional knife collection. Image
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Lots of "Other" knives.. Spyderco knives is very small part.. Pa hunting/fishing licenses!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I used to collect '80s toys. I have a few dozen Schaper Stompers, a couple dozen Spawn figures from the early '00s, I buy up every bit of '79-93 Mustang merchandise I can find because Ford pretends that generation never happened so they don't get a lot of love when it comes to toys and such. That's about the only things I consider "collections" and I don't actively buy any of it anymore except Mustang stuff. Beyond that I have way more hobbies than one man ever needs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Vietnam War period uniforms and equipment.
Used to be all US Military equipment from about 1946 through to Op Iraqi Freedom, but when I started looking seriously at dropping £300 on a USMC Urban Warrior experimental 'T-Pat' shirt in a size I wouldn't get over my arm let alone around my chest- while the loft conversion was rammed full of other uniforms and web-gear already, I decided it was time to consolidate back on my first love: the period of change between '55 and '75.

Used to collect and paint Warhammer 40k models too- but again, these have all gone.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Camburt

Post by Camburt »

stamps, coins, currency notes, and rc cars
remnar

Post by remnar »

Cuts and scars! :D
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Flashlights, but I only own about 12 of them at the moment... However I can see that number gradually rising...

I get more enjoyment out of my flashlights than I do my pocket knives...
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I have a growing collection of spyderco boxes
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I seem to have accidentally accumulated a rather large collection of scotch and bourbon over the years :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

archangel wrote: Among them are 7 pieces of German world class modder Vinz - my grails. :)
Do you have any photos of these particular lights that you can share?
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I seem to have accidentally accumulated a rather large collection of scotch and bourbon over the years :D
Reminds me of a story I read years back..
Guy had been collecting "Fine" cigars. Smoked them and make a Insurance Claim, "Burnt in fire" or words to that affect.
Claim was held up and paid out much to the annoyance of Insurance Co.
He made another claim some time later.
Was Prosecuted (successfully) for Arson..
JD Spydo

D. A. M. Quick Fishing Reels: German Made

Post by JD Spydo »

I have what a lot of people would consider a rather odd item to collect but when I got my first D.A.M. Quick fishing reel I was blown away at the superb quality of this German made icon as well as many of their other pieces of fishing equipment. It was back in the mid 1970s when my favorite Uncle died and left me his fishing equipment. It consisted of an "OLD PAL" brand tackle box full of all kinds of fishing tackle and I got his D.A. M. fishing reel and custom made rod which came with it. I was so impressed with the quality of the unit that I noticed that they sold the D.A.M. Quick German made fishing reels in the "Herter's" mail order catalog ( a very popular mail order fishing equipment retailer of that time). I immediately ordered two more of them and since then have exclusively used D.A.M Quick as my very favorite fishing reel.

Soon after I got one of their fly rods and fly reel ( MODEL 55) and the collection continued to grow. I've tried some of their newer Korean made units but I mainly only use their German made stuff from the 70s and 80s era which I believe was their GOLDEN ERA. As far as I know they were the first to engineer a brilliant magnetic drag system and they have many other great patents. I've had other great fishing reels like PENN and a few other American made units but D.A.M. Quick will probably always be my ultimate favorite. I also have a small collection of Surefire flashlights as well as a huge tool box of sharpening tools I've acrued over the years.

Spyderco knives and sharpening equipment are my ultimate collector items I seek after and their impeccable quality like that I seen of D.A.M. Quick fishing reels is what drew me to them as well.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

remnar wrote:Cuts and scars! :D
LOL Yep, I can relate to that. :o
After opening a few drawers of my tool cabinets I have come to the conclusion that I apparently also collect sharpening stones.
I guess my Spydies like that well enough........ :D
awa54

Post by awa54 »

watches, cameras and fountain pens, with lesser accumulations of tools, bikes, shaving gear, books and movies. I also have lots of nice cooking gear, but that's almost too practical to count... after all, some day I'll actually *need* that copper reduction pan to get some recipe right... at least that's the story I'm going with!

fortunately pocket knives, pens and watches take up very little space, even when you have way too many of them ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

El Gato wrote:
After opening a few drawers of my tool cabinets I have come to the conclusion that I apparently also collect sharpening stones.
Greetings "El Gato": I have a rather huge assortment of sharpening stones myself. I'm curious if you have any stones for sharpening straight razors? I have a few straight razor sharpening stones that I got a few years back. I got most of them at garage sales and a few at flea markets. One distinct thing I've noticed about most of the straight razor stones is that they are extremely fine for the most part. The razor stones I have are Columbia, Keen Kutter and Dovo. I was curious if you had any of those. Because those straight razor stones are truly different from any other sharpening stones I've ever owned and used. That Columbia stone really works well with ZDP-189 blades for a final finish. Just wondered if you had any of those?
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

jmh58 wrote:Lots of "Other" knives.. Spyderco knives is very small part.. Pa hunting/fishing licenses!!! John
This answer I can appreciate. :D

I've got a lifetime license in TN but otherwise I'd be in the same boat. :)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

JD Spydo wrote:
El Gato wrote:
Greetings "El Gato": I have a rather huge assortment of sharpening stones myself. I'm curious if you have any stones for sharpening straight razors? I have a few straight razor sharpening stones that I got a few years back. I got most of them at garage sales and a few at flea markets. One distinct thing I've noticed about most of the straight razor stones is that they are extremely fine for the most part. The razor stones I have are Columbia, Keen Kutter and Dovo. I was curious if you had any of those. Because those straight razor stones are truly different from any other sharpening stones I've ever owned and used. That Columbia stone really works well with ZDP-189 blades for a final finish. Just wondered if you had any of those?
Greetings to you as well sir.
Most of my stones are for my EdgePro system, both the mounted stones from EP and a selection of different stones from Congress Tools. I have a few stones for hand sharpening but nothing for straight razors. For my :spyder: Chaparrals I sharpen down to 1000 grit and then polish to 6000 with the EP polishing tapes, which works pretty well for me. I have never gotten into straight razors but I think that would be an interesting area to explore. :)