Any Benchmade Fans Here?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
this_is_nascar

Any Benchmade Fans Here?

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'm getting my 1st BM in a long time, a new 531. I had one when they 1st came out, but didn't like the "production run" engraving on the blade, so I sold it.

I missed having it, so I'm getting a new one.
hoimin

Re: Any Benchmade Fans Here?

Post by hoimin »

The only one I've ever been interested in is the 940-1, but the value and the quality control issues put me off.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The only BM I have is 556 Mini Grip. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it. I have my eye on a Mini Stryker and Sequel too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a Ritter mini grip that I'm fairly fond of. I wish that Spyderco made a CBBL in that size. I think I own 5 or 6 benchmades, but that's the only one that gets any pocket time.

Every Benchmade I've had has had excellent fit and finish. I'm surprised when I hear about issues with them. I guess I've just had good luck.

The round hole issue kind of put me off them, though.

For non-spyderco production knives, I think I've been most fond of ZT. I have a ZT 0770 that I really enjoy.

For straight up utility nothing beats Spyderco, though.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I have a fair number of Benchmades. Most of them are autos and I have found them to be well made and reliable. My current favorite is the APB auto opens fast, locks up tight and is truely ambidextrous.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm not a Benchmade fan like I am a Spyderco fan but the few models of theirs that I admire I tend to really like them. When it comes to my fanatical love of premium quality folders and fixed blades I actaully cut my knife loving teeth on a Benchmade model 640 Boguszewski Spike model. I actually got the automatic model 1000 Boguszewski Spike back in 1994 even before I got my first Spyder in 1995>> well the rest is history as many famous narrators have said.

I still love the Benchmade Boguszewski Spike models 1000, 640 & 650 and wish they would do Sprint runs of them in newer/better blade steels. In all fairness I doubt if I own any folder I've used anymore than I did my BM model 640 Spike. Other Benchmade models I loved were the model 610 Rukus and the model 2500 Mini Reflex auto model. I will go on record as saying that I do think Benchmade makes the best automatic out there with the slight exception of some of the Microtech models.

I had wished for years that Spyderco and Phil Boguszewski would have done a collaboration but Phil died about 4 years ago so that's certainly not going to happen. I do think Benchmade makes a quality blade and the company always treated me well when I needed service and parts>> but the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY will always be KING in my book.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Man, you hit the nail on the head regarding the Boguszewski Spike model by BM, JD. I had wanted one of those puppies in a bad way ever since I laid eyes on it at a gun and knife show many years ago. Unfortunately, they are tough to find nowadays--especially in decent shape AND at a semi-reasonable price. I like a few BM models, such as the 350 Pardue and Resistor by Mike Snody and most of their older stuff (early 2000's). I also have a blue Mini-Griptilian that is pretty decent.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have an open mind to pretty much any brand of knife out there, but honestly BM just doesn't have a thing I care for. Believe me, I've tried. I kinda like their lock but their style just isn't for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The only Benchmades that interest me in the slightest are utterly banned in my country....The Infidel and the 42 Balisong.

Forbidden fruit and all that, eh. :))
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I like em, course... as is probably the case for most of us... Spyderco is my go to brand.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'll be honest. The only think I really like about BM is the Axis Lock. I'm getting the 531, because you can't find any other knife, that I'm aware of, with that length of blade, in the small profile, at that weight.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm indifferent. Respect the products but most don't excite me much (just personal aesthetics). I can't afford all the Spydies I want so just not much room to branch out :).
gusto5

Post by gusto5 »

I've been eying an Axis Stryker, or one of the 2016 Foray AXIS from BM. The BM draw for me though, is the ambidextrous locking mechanism for someone who's left handed. Don't get me wrong, no problems with locks and left hand, but this sort of 'both ways' is nice.
Starmate C55GP
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I have had a couple the only one I have held onto is the 940, I think it is great model. It's very slim and easy to pocket, particularly for its length. They used decent steel and there are some nice details such as the ridged scales and the titanium back spacer. In addition, I love the action of this knife, lock up is solid and I really can't fault the axis lock in anyway.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I like them, but mostly the older early axis lock designs. Finally got my BM collection trimmed down to just what I wanted to keep a couple months ago, actually. (there's a 525BK-1101 (LE with CPM-M4) that missed the picture still around, too)

Now, trimming my Spyderco collection down... that doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon, haha. Spyderco is still coming out with designs I want to buy. Benchmade... not so much.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Not a lot of Benchmades catch my eye.. Also think their 'bang for the buck factor' is pretty low. That said, i have a Griptilian 550HG in the mail a.t.m.
At least it's got a "Spydie hole" and the Axis lock which i like :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I fully agree about the bang for the buck or should I say lack of bang for the buck. I know many people like them. For me, only a few models have ever wowed me, but it always came down to that issue of me not getting my money's worth.

I'm hoping to feel differently with this 531. It will be my daily apple slicer to be kept in my lunch bucket, if things go as planned.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I wouldn't mind trying a 940, 710 or one of the new g10 20cv griptillians but they are way over my budget and I still have so many Spyderco's on my list. I have to say though, after watching the SHOT Show videos, Benchmade's new models were my second favorite after Spyderco. I didn't think much of the new ZT line up for this year.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

gusto5 wrote:I've been eying an Axis Stryker, or one of the 2016 Foray AXIS from BM. The BM draw for me though, is the ambidextrous locking mechanism for someone who's left handed. Don't get me wrong, no problems with locks and left hand, but this sort of 'both ways' is nice.
I love the Spyderco CBBL for exactly this reason.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I wouldn't mind trying a 940, 710 or one of the new g10 20cv griptillians..
I got one of those as a christmas present for one of my employees this year. I had Knifeworks put our logo and his name on it. I'll admit I fondled it a bit before I wrapped it. It was very nice--fit and finish were up to Spyderco Taichung levels.