Morakniv

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
average-Joe

Re: Morakniv

Post by average-Joe »

Well I can't buy coffee for $2
Never mind shipping something half way around the world via container ship to sell for $1.99
Must be inlaid with toxic chemicals they are trying to get rid of lol
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I checked out the link to the Wahoo Killers that SpyderEdgeForever shared. Did you read some of the Review comments at the upper right of the Bud K ad for this "knife"? Some of the comments are quite interesting, if indeed they are actual review comments and not just "advertising". Apparently some folks like this knife well enough. :confused:

I am not as yet "sold" however. I have no Wahoo's to kill out here in the desert, and have never yet seen a $2.00 knife that I "just had to have". :D
Perhaps I am just hard to please...........
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Also, the new Cold Steel Peace Maker series is Mora-like. They are fixed blades with Scandi-ground edges and polymer handles and sheaths, and are very durable and great all-around knives and survival knives. And they are reasonably priced and inexpensive compared to other Cold Steel knives, closer to Mora knives in price.

They use that German 4116 stainless steel for blades.
JT

Post by JT »

I carry then in my toolbox etc, they're cheap,good and handy tools. But just tools imho. Cheapest of them (with the carbon blade) are about 5 euro/USD here in Finland. Real beaters.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

jmh58 wrote:Got a Helle Harding on it way here!! John
Did it arrive yet?

I own a Nying, an early production Viking and have made wood carving knives with the Nying and Ola Kniven blades.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

awa54 wrote:
jmh58 wrote:Got a Helle Harding on it way here!! John
Did it arrive yet?

I own a Nying, an early production Viking and have made wood carving knives with the Nying and Ola Kniven blades.

Yep.. Had it out this past week-end.. Super light on the belt!! Had to check a few times to be sure it was still there!! Nice fit in my hand and great balance!! Did not do a lot of cutting (shaved some fatwood for fire starting chips) as of yet but am planning on it being my edc while out on our dayhikes the coming yr!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
average-Joe wrote:1.99 wow it's amazing any product on earth can cost 1.99 retail

I know! how do you think they can sell a knife like that for 1.99 retail? The actual cost of materials and production must be ridiculously cheap, it has to be at most 50 cents or a little more, because it is marked up to almost 2.00 for profit. Unbelievable. They must have some factory that produces thousands of them a day and the labor cost of those people on their assembly lines must be rock-bottom. Unless they do it with robots.
This sounds like I'm way off topic (as I am APT to do!) but I get your line of thought here! Several years ago, a local Long John Silvers restaurant (part of a small fast food chain for those not familiar) was advertising a lunch meal combo for $1.99 (!) with a drink and side. I worked at a store next to it part time and the employees there were all excited about this. I told them I did not want to consume any fish that they could sell at this price point with a side and a drink and still make money! :D

(I know sometimes businesses make specials like this knowingly losing money temporarily just to generate repeat customers and floor traffic, but let me have my "David's Logic" laugh... :D )

Oh...and I'm a Mora fan too. Had a Companion, upgraded to Companion HD. It's not been to the woods though (a SIN since I've had it a year or more!)
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
SpyderEdgeForever

MoraProRobustCarbon.jpg
I think I am going for one of the newer Mora of Sweden Robust knives. It has an extra thick carbon steel blade. What are some good ways to maintain it to keep it shiny and satiny?
SpyderEdgeForever

I also have a question for anyone here familiar with knives and steel when exposed to salt water and salt air in for an extended amount of time.

Would the carbon steel of a knife like the Mora Robust or other Mora carbon steel knife merely patina and stain, or, if one had it as a life raft and boating knife, would it corrode to the point where it had ugly scale and turned to powder, if not regularly oiled and cleaned?

Check out this video: The guy took two of the older Mora Knife stock, a carbon and a stainless steel one, and exposed them to rust in the field. Look at the carbon steel blade. It is not badly rusted or corroded.

Would the same hold true for oceanic salt water and air?
SpyderEdgeForever

MoraProSKnife.jpg
Here is the stainless steel version:

Mora Pro S
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:MoraProSKnife.jpgHere is the stainless steel version:

Mora Pro S

I have this one, as well as a Clipper in carbon and a Champion in carbon and another in stainless.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

More pro c

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I wish i still had one or two of the 1960's laminated steel Moras i grew up with.. They are in my opinion unbeatable for the price, and you have to add a pretty good wad of cash to get significantly better performance. Now, looks and design is another matter :) I do find the to have some unpretentious charm after all
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderEdgeForever

Larry you are absolutely right. Those are extremely difficult to find, and after the 1990 period the laminated knives with the steel crossguard and other laminated Mora knives began to get discontinued. They still make the basic original classic in laminated carbon steel for about 35 dollars or so. But they dropped a lot of their other laminated ones, I guess due to lack of sales?

Do you think a custom-maker could make an exact duplicate of one of those old-time laminated Mora knives, with the same exact feel and quality and shape and structure, today?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Larry you are absolutely right. Those are extremely difficult to find, and after the 1990 period the laminated knives with the steel crossguard and other laminated Mora knives began to get discontinued. They still make the basic original classic in laminated carbon steel for about 35 dollars or so. But they dropped a lot of their other laminated ones, I guess due to lack of sales?

Do you think a custom-maker could make an exact duplicate of one of those old-time laminated Mora knives, with the same exact feel and quality and shape and structure, today?
A custom should be much nicer as far as F&F! as far as blade quality, there are plenty of Scandinavian knives that are just as good as those older Frost and Eriksson blades (or better).

Honestly, if you're going to pay a higher price for what amounts to a basic tool, then go for a version with a bit more flair...

like this: http://www.helle.no/products/knives/tollekniv/
-David

SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you awa that is a very good one! Cool. The Helle version. I like it!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Thank you awa that is a very good one! Cool. The Helle version. I like it!
If you like Scandi blades, you should visit this gent's shop: https://www.ragweedforge.com/index.html#catalog
-David

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have about a dozen Mora's and like Opinel's these no frills knives certainly do represent value for money.

I recently left a little Mora No.1 with my non knife person son-in-law while we were renovating their bathroom. He can't find it now and it doesn't matter! :rolleyes:

I use three Mora laminated Sloyds exclusively for whittling and I can’t fault them. I can whittle softwood almost indefinitely with only a leather strop and Dialux green compound. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Morakniv Eldris
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

:open-grin
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050