Favorite Cereals and Interesting Food Stories?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Favorite Cereals and Interesting Food Stories?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Just wondering, because I like both hot and cold cereals and was wondering what other forum-mates like on this. Two of my favorites are Grapenuts and Shredded Wheat. I like how they have a healthy balance of good nutrition and good taste; the frosted shredded wheats are nice, too :)

As far as hot cereal goes, I like grits with cheese and oatmeal with lots of honey, raisins, bananas if possible, and fruit in it.

Odd food story: This was not me, but, someone I knew. He claimed that when he was in his late teens his mother had to make an emergency visit to see another family member, and would be away for a whole month. She gave him a month's worth of money to buy food, and he didn't want to make it complicated...sooo....he spent the ENTIRE AMOUNT ON POPCORN!

He said popcorn was the only solid food he ate for that month; with butter and other toppings, but popcorn was it. He told me that to this day he cannot even stand the SMELL of popcorn, it brings back that memory. Isn't that something?

This has been mentioned before, but a SPYDERCO CEREAL would be absolutely COOL. Imagine it: The main cereal would be little Spyderco emblems, and there would be marshmellows in the shapes of various Spyderco knives. You'd have the Tatanka pieces, Enduras, Delicas, Salts, etc as marshallows :)
The Deacon

Re: Favorite Cereals and Interesting Food Stories?

Post by The Deacon »

I eat hot cereal for breakfast almost every morning. Vary between three varieties of oat meal (rolled oats, steel cut oats, and Scottish oat meal), three wheat cereals (cracked wheat, kamut, and bulgur), yellow and white corn grits, kasha (buckwheat) and a couple mixed grain cereals. Most times I eat them sweet, with fruit, but sometimes I'll have the bulgur or kasha with onions and curry powder or the grits with cheese.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Honey Nut Cheerios, and Corn Chex. Sorry, no interesting stories though.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I eat a bowl of cold cereal every morning. Ezekial 4:9 is my cereal of choice. Seems to be the "healthiest" option if you're eating grains.I like to add fresh berries to it. Usually whatever looks the best at the store(blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc..)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

What an interesting coincidence! I just heard a report earlier today that ranked several of the top cold cereals in terms of least to healthiest for consumption. :) Seems like Fruity Pebbles was in second place for "least" healthiest, while some other organic whole grain cereal won for healthiest.
I can't eat cold cereals any more due to health issues, but my favorite cold cereals from childhood were Fruity Pebbles ( ;) ), Honey Bunches and Oats, Count Chocula, Crispix, Kix, Jacks, Corn Pops, Capt. Crunch, and a few others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Reject

Post by Reject »

I’m just a toast and coffee person, Image always in to much of a rush in the morning.

Spyderco cereal sound like a good idea.
Would have to include Spyderco trade mark hole. Image But there a lot of cereals out there with hole in the centre, :D so Spyderco could do something different and put the hole on the outside.
How much can a Koala bear?
Birdman21

Post by Birdman21 »

I never fail to see something interesting in the off topic forum! Lol!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Porridge oats with Golden syrup! Irish Flahavan ones at the moment. 2 mins in the microwave... fantastic!
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

As we all have heard, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
'Cause if you ain't home by breakfast, you're in big trouble!! :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I eat mostly cold cereals in the mornings that I make myself. I lightly toast rolled oats. When they cool, I add nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, etc.) and fruit (raisins, plus dried cranberries, dried blue berries, dried apples, dried apricot, etc.). This way, it is all healthy and no sugar. I use only whole milk with no additives. I love grits for hot cereal but I cannot get them over here :( . But, my cold cereal gives me the protein, carbs, and nutrients that I need with none of the bad stuff.

Hot cereals are dangerous for some people. I guy I knew had been out partying all night, came home after daylight and made a bowl of hot instant oatmeal. He was so intoxicated that, you guess it, he passed out face first into his hot cereal. Ouch! :eek:
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Never met a cold cereal I didn't like..I can eat cereal for 3 meals a day and be happy. I like flavored oatmeals and eat them now and then.

Funny story....I guess the cole slaw story is funny. When I was in 4th grade we had cole slaw at lunch one day. I didn't like it so I decided to mix everything I could get my hands on into it and make a big disgusting concoction. It had white and chocolate milk, lima beans, gobs of salt and pepper, and ketchup in it.

My teacher, who was also a thing that really didn't like, saw me and made me eat it. Every last bite. I later threw it all up. To this day I can't stand the sight of cole slaw.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Don't eat cereal hot or cold..I think Lucky Charms when I was a kid cured me of that..for that matter I don't do breakfast....so my first meal starts around 12pm..I call it lunch....if I need some extra energy in the morning I have a piece of fruit...but I do have a cute food story to share.... I was visiting a friend a few months back (we were posed to go to dinner) but when I got there my friend said that they had some left overs from earlier in the day and didn't really want to go out for anything and was content to eat what was in the frig....I was alright with that and said hey, I saw around the corner there is a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) fast food place...no problem I'll just drive down the block and get me a couple of drumsticks and veggies and bring em back to the house....So I enter KFC and the place was empty, (only me at the order counter and an employee taking my order) The women behind the counter was a young black women maybe 20 years old if that, and she was huge (maybe pushing if not over 375 pounds). So I order a "Two piece Meal" and tell the women I would like that with two drumsticks instead of the white and dark meat pieces of chicken as the menu states....She says to me You can have one white meat and one dark meat piece of chicken...I tell her I really prefer to have two drumsticks and other KFC Restaurants have always accommodated me in the past with this request. She says I have to ask my manager....comes back and tells me she was told that she could do that for me. I was that's great thank you!. (I'm going to tell you what happened next and I'm giving you the short version because the next exchange took place over 15 minutes....and if I didn't find what transpired so so funny I probably would have been quite angry). Young Counter Girl person says to me...."So you want a Breast and a Wing....I says no......I wanted two drumsticks......she says as she looks over the register buttons, "Ok I know you want a thigh and a wing".....I was like nooooo....I want two drumsticks.......She says Oh Ok you want two wings.....I was like noooo I want two drumsticks......So you want a Arm and a Wing, was her next reply....I was noooo just two drumsticks will work for me.......So you want a Breast and One Arm .....I was noooooooo I want two drumsticks (dark meat) She looks over the buttons once again bewildered.......and says Oh Ok youuuuu want a thigh and a breast.....Nope that's not what I want....I just want two drumsticks!......Then the light bulb in her head goes off.....Oh You want Two Feet!
That's when I just broke out in laughter, couldn't contain myself anymore. I look her square in the face and said Listen Girl....I don't think KFC has chicken feet for sale on the menu, that's number one, secondly you look like your Mama has cooked you your fair share of chicken during your short life for sure....Thirdly if not.....there must be in the back room like an official KFC Chicken Parts Poster for new employees, so they can identify the chicken parts......????? The manager walks over and says is there a problem here....I say nothing....she says Da Man wants two somethings but I can't finds them. The manager who was also black said to her "Two of what?" I said to him, I just wanted two drumsticks. He says to her give the man two drumsticks....she says what?....so he proceeds to explain that the drumstick is the lower portion of a chicken's leg" She says "I offered him da feet but he don't want them.....He says to her we don't sell chicken feet here!!...and she replies as she points to me and says "Dats what he said!" At this point both myself and the manager broke out in uncontrollable laughter which had to last for at least a full minute..we couldn't stop laughing...Well I did finally leave with two drumsticks and the other fixings a smile on my face and all of us had a good laugh and good time, even the girl behind the counter was laughing....but I'm pretty sure she didn't have a clue why she was laughing......Doc:)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Don't eat cereal hot or cold..I think Lucky Charms when I was a kid cured me of that..for that matter I don't do breakfast....so my first meal starts around 12pm..I call it lunch....if I need some extra energy in the morning I have a piece of fruit...but I do have a cute food story to share.... I was visiting a friend a few months back (we were posed to go to dinner) but when I got there my friend said that they had some left overs from earlier in the day and didn't really want to go out for anything and was content to eat what was in the frig....I was alright with that and said hey, I saw around the corner there is a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) fast food place...no problem I'll just drive down the block and get me a couple of drumsticks and veggies and bring em back to the house....So I enter KFC and the place was empty, (only me at the order counter and an employee taking my order) The women behind the counter was a young black women maybe 20 years old if that, and she was huge (maybe pushing if not over 375 pounds). So I order a "Two piece Meal" and tell the women I would like that with two drumsticks instead of the white and dark meat pieces of chicken as the menu states....She says to me You can have one white meat and one dark meat piece of chicken...I tell her I really prefer to have two drumsticks and other KFC Restaurants have always accommodated me in the past with this request. She says I have to ask my manager....comes back and tells me she was told that she could do that for me. I was that's great thank you!. (I'm going to tell you what happened next and I'm giving you the short version because the next exchange took place over 15 minutes....and if I didn't find what transpired so so funny I probably would have been quite angry). Young Counter Girl person says to me...."So you want a Breast and a Wing....I says no......I wanted two drumsticks......she says as she looks over the register buttons, "Ok I know you want a thigh and a wing".....I was like nooooo....I want two drumsticks.......She says Oh Ok you want two wings.....I was like noooo I want two drumsticks......So you want a Arm and a Wing, was her next reply....I was noooo just two drumsticks will work for me.......So you want a Breast and One Arm .....I was noooooooo I want two drumsticks (dark meat) She looks over the buttons once again bewildered.......and says Oh Ok youuuuu want a thigh and a breast.....Nope that's not what I want....I just want two drumsticks!......Then the light bulb in her head goes off.....Oh You want Two Feet!
That's when I just broke out in laughter, couldn't contain myself anymore. I look her square in the face and said Listen Girl....I don't think KFC has chicken feet for sale on the menu, that's number one, secondly you look like your Mama has cooked you your fair share of chicken during your short life for sure....Thirdly if not.....there must be in the back room like an official KFC Chicken Parts Poster for new employees, so they can identify the chicken parts......????? The manager walks over and says is there a problem here....I say nothing....she says Da Man wants two somethings but I can't finds them. The manager who was also black said to her "Two of what?" I said to him, I just wanted two drumsticks. He says to her give the man two drumsticks....she says what?....so he proceeds to explain that the drumstick is the lower portion of a chicken's leg" She says "I offered him da feet but he don't want them.....He says to her we don't sell chicken feet here!!...and she replies as she points to me and says "Dats what he said!" At this point both myself and the manager broke out in uncontrollable laughter which had to last for at least a full minute..we couldn't stop laughing...Well I did finally leave with two drumsticks and the other fixings a smile on my face and all of us had a good laugh and good time, even the girl behind the counter was laughing....but I'm pretty sure she didn't have a clue why she was laughing......Doc:)
O My God!!! :eek: :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Not really a big cereal guy.

I like Grits and Cream of Wheat. :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Breakfast is coconut milk, whey protein, flax seed, Greek yogurt, almond butter, and blueberries blended together M-F without fail! I work out a lil bit...