British Made Blades

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: British Made Blades

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Yeah Doc, not to change the overall topic but its sad that some of the best places known to make the best knives have some of the strictest anti knife and anti sword laws around. A British made knife I have is one of the pocket marlin spike rigging knives, it has stamped Made in England on it, or Sheffield, and it appears to be one of the genuine. Its good steel and very sharp.
Hey that's very interesting "Spyderedgeforever" about your British made marine/rigging marlinspike knife. You got me wondering now>> did the Brits make the first Marlinspike folders? I know that Sheffield at one time had a reputation for being innovators in the cutlery field. I actually met a guy at a Springfield, Missouri knife show about 10 years ago and the only two brands of knives he collected were the British owned Sheffield and Keen Cutter ( which is an American brand). He was an older gentleman about in his mid to late 70s and he was really sold on both brands being quality made. I was really impressed with his case of Keen Cutter straight razors. Don't know if Sheffield ever made straight razors or not but would be interested to know.

Again I've also known that the British have a reputation for making excellent machetes. I've owned two of them ( not Martindale) that both had Made In England stamped on them and I had a collector pay me a very generous price for them. But it would be interesting to know if the British did indeed come up with the idea of Marlinspikes on folding knive. With their rich naval history it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Doc Dan wrote:Sadly, England is making the same mistake it made prior to two, two world wars. It disarmed the public and implemented laws on arms that were strict. Yet, when the inevitable war broke out the Americans had to "loan" arms to them so they could fight off Europe's enemies. Now, it seems, they have gone further. Another war is probably on the horizon. What then?

Americans are getting bombarded to follow the same path, as being more "enlightened" (Liam Neeson go home). If we cannot remember those lessons, how can we expect the world to remember them?
It's particularly insulting since he made his fortune playing characters who had no issues using violence.... especially with guns. What a hypocrite. Also, call me old-fashioned, but the opinion of an adult who earns his living playing pretend; doesn't mean any thing to me. You're an entertainer, you get to be loved. But respected? No way. Only among other actors.

I doubt if older Americans will participate in another Lend Lease program where they're asked to send older guns overseas to help the British. Some of them still remember that the Brits melted down those guns after the war. Instead of gathering all of them up, examining the ones in the best conditions in the more common calibers; and putting those away in an armory.... No, they just melted all of them down. What a slap in the face.
Last edited by Monocrom on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

*Double Post*
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Monocrom wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:Sadly, England is making the same mistake it made prior to two, two world wars. It disarmed the public and implemented laws on arms that were strict. Yet, when the inevitable war broke out the Americans had to "loan" arms to them so they could fight off Europe's enemies. Now, it seems, they have gone further. Another war is probably on the horizon. What then?

Americans are getting bombarded to follow the same path, as being more "enlightened" (Liam Neeson go home). If we cannot remember those lessons, how can we expect the world to remember them?
It's particularly insulting since he made his fortune playing characters who had no issues using violence.... especially with guns. What a hypocrite. Also, call me old-fashioned, but the opinion of an adult who earns his living playing pretend; doesn't mean any thing to me. You're an entertainer, you get to be loved. But respected? No way. Only among other actors.

I doubt if older Americans will participate in another Lend Lease program where they're asked to send older guns overseas to help the British. Some of them still remember that the Brits melted down those guns after the war. Instead of gathering all of them up, examining the ones in the best conditions in the more common calibers; and putting those away in an armory.... No, they just melted all of them down. What a slap in the face.
Those who ignore history are damned to repeat it.
paladin

Post by paladin »

wow...

really puts into perspective when consumers get their skivvies in a wad because they can't purchase 2 forum knives on the first day of release...

imagine a nation (or market) where you couldn't even get a blade that you could trust the composition or annealing, or tempering...

kinda puts the problem of "sharpening difficulty" into a broader light, also.

Really hard to put a serviceable edge on a turd...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This topic makes me think of this knife here:

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/3-89.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The English/British MOD survival knife. Does anyone here have one or have experience using one for cutting chores? I handled one once, years ago. It is one tough and hefty piece of steel and definitely would shine in most bushcrafting uses. Some may consider it too much like a "sharpened pry bar" but that is a very durable survival knife.