My New Website

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MichaelScott

My New Website

Post by MichaelScott »

I have finished building my new website and moved all of the content from my old blog on self defense carry. If you like, take a look at:

http://selfdefensecarry.com

I will be posting articles and information on Spyderco knives as well as other self defense carry topics.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
chuckd

Re: My New Website

Post by chuckd »

I got a broken link my man.

ER_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Most likely the ol DNS delay, it should work tomorrow.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Interesting, I just clicked on the links in my post and signature, and went right to it... Let me know if it still doesn't work for you. Could well be DNS propagation. Thanks for the head's up.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Link works for me. The biggest problem I see is that the black text overlaps your black and white banner picture, making it hard to read.

left side: Internet Explorer @ 1600x900 zoomed 130% (please ignore the black bars at the top and bottom, as it's just a result of taking a screenshot of both monitors at once)

right side: Chrome @ 2560x1440 zoomed 100%

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Yup! Got it now. Time to check it out..
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for the feedback. Those text blocks were moving in response to the screen size for different monitors. I think I fixed that.

Team Innovation
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

They still look the same to me (the above shots were from my PC - I'm on Windows 7, so don't have the new Edge browser). I also checked with my MacBook Pro and both Safari and Chrome look like the left picture (with only the first couple of lines on the "about" page obscured, and only the titles of the top post obscured on the "articles" and "reviews" landing pages).

On my Android phone, the mobile site doesn't seem to be working correctly on Dolphin browser. It gives me a dropdown menu (navigation, home, about, articles, and reviews), but selecting any of them doesn't take me anywhere. I was able to manually type in the individual pages in my navigation bar to view the pages and they look fine once I get there. The dropdown menu on Chrome for Android, on the other hand, seems to be working correctly, as I can navigate between pages just fine and the pages render legibly as well. Safari on iPad also works too and the pages display correctly.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks again for the feedback. I changed the structure to a "landing" or home page that is static in terms of background and blocks. It's got a title and navigation buttons. (One of my brothers in law took the background picture near Silt, Colorado from his back yard). Everything seems stable now on my iMac/Safari and iPhone. Please keep me informed of any glitches.

M

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Can you post more pictures of knives, folders and fixed blades, there, on your website, Michael, if you want to, that is?

Also maybe some links to good knife store and knife information websites? Is that a good idea?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes I can. In fact, I am considering adding a knife section which would emphasize Spyderco, its OpFocus philosophy and knives, along with associated people like Michael Janich. I think from a self defense perspective that this would be of value to my readers. I will need to get permission from Spyderco and forum members to use their photos and any reviews or detailed comments that I would like to post.

Would you think this would be valuable?

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I think that is a very good idea! It would also be interesting to be able to read about actual testimonials and stories of people who have had real world field experience in knife combat and knife survival situations, where smart use of edged tools saved their lives.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Great front page photo, if that's the view from your place, then congrats!

I need to get me one of those Blatherslice Mall Warriors! I hear it's a real Tactical, Defense, Survival, EDC champion with some b*d*ss Gill Hibben, tanto, car-stabbin' stuff goin' down there!

But seriously, the only change I would say *needs* to happen is to have a nav bar or some quicker way to get down page to individual articles. If it was me doing the design, each article would have its own page, accessed from an index page for each subject, but a left side nav bar that was always visible and allowed automated scrolling to the start of an article or review would work just fine. In short, nice site and some good articles and reviews and better written than much we see on the web!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I liked your new web-site....liked the articles....think you were spot on with most of your writing...and your writing style is refreshing and entertaining to read as well. I wish you good luck and hope to read more on your site....

FWIW: I don't know anything about Iphones, MacPros, Chromes, Ipads, Landings, Imacs, Safari and Androids...so I can't help you there....but I do know self-defense (armed and unarmed) pretty well and I'll say you are off to a good start! Doc:)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

awa54 wrote:Great front page photo, if that's the view from your place, then congrats!

But seriously, the only change I would say *needs* to happen is to have a nav bar or some quicker way to get down page to individual articles. If it was me doing the design, each article would have its own page, accessed from an index page for each subject, but a left side nav bar that was always visible and allowed automated scrolling to the start of an article or review would work just fine. In short, nice site and some good articles and reviews and better written than much we see on the web!
Thanks, David. And you too, Doc.

I made some tweaks this morning to install navigation pages for the Reviews and Articles. You should be able to pick what you want to read now. Thanks for the critique. You guys are good beta testers. I'm sure there will be more tweaks to come, but it is in pretty good shape now.

The main page photo was taken by my bother in law in Silt, Colorado from his back yard overlooking the Colorado River valley west of Glenwood Springs. Yep, a great place to drink cold beer and eat BBQ ribs in the summer.

I'm planning a knife and self defense section. Have some work to do and people to contact about this. I'm a total novice when it comes to self defense with a knife, but part of the attraction is to learn about this and put that information out to the interested public through my site. More later.

Team Innovation
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

MichaelScott wrote:
awa54 wrote:Great front page photo, if that's the view from your place, then congrats!

Thanks, David. And you too, Doc.

I made some tweaks this morning to install navigation pages for the Reviews and Articles. You should be able to pick what you want to read now. Thanks for the critique. You guys are good beta testers. I'm sure there will be more tweaks to come, but it is in pretty good shape now.

The main page photo was taken by my bother in law in Silt, Colorado from his back yard overlooking the Colorado River valley west of Glenwood Springs. Yep, a great place to drink cold beer and eat BBQ ribs in the summer.

I'm planning a knife and self defense section. Have some work to do and people to contact about this. I'm a total novice when it comes to self defense with a knife, but part of the attraction is to learn about this and put that information out to the interested public through my site. More later.
the new tweaks look great - its going to take me a long time to go through it all and absorb all the useful information

I really like the article "aware" http://www.selfdefensecarry.com/sdcarry ... aware.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
something that really hits home with me - as someone who did security work for a few years, which required that certain way of seeing, and now working as a photographer, which requires a completely different way of seeing (looking at light and the way it falls on stuff)