Fixed blade wallet sheath

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Fixed blade wallet sheath

Post by Evil D »

Little project I've wanted to try for a while now, just didn't have a small enough fixed blade to make it happen, until today. I picked up a ESEE Candiru and gave it a shot. The wallet is an old Harley trifold that I've carried for a good 15 years. It works pretty well, you can't tell it's there when you sit down and in all the pants I've tried on the end of the knife is still below the top of the pocket. The idea isn't to use it as a EDC type knife, but to have a small stout fixed blade on you for whenever you may need something to really abuse. I figure I always carry my wallet, so it'll always be there.

My stitch work needs work...cut me some slack, I never took home-ec lol. The pics start out with how I planned it and go through to the finished job. I sewed a small strip of leather in the bottom for the point to stick into so it wouldn't slice through the stitching. I used a needle and upholstery thread and pushed the needle through with my multitool...which was not easy.

Planning stage...

Broke a needle half way through..

Finshed product...
Enkidude

Re: Fixed blade wallet sheath

Post by Enkidude »

Nice work!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

That's a neat idea...my wallet has so much stuff in it though that it's already too thick as it is, so I've resorted to pants that have better pocket arrangements for my knives, especially with regards to my work pants. Definitely a neat idea though...if I could make a rig like that work with my system I probably would.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Studey

Post by Studey »

Cool! Another option would be using something like .06" kydex.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Studey wrote:Cool! Another option would be using something like .06" kydex.
Yeah, I could have made a leather sheath too, and it did come with a nylon sheath. But, the point was to have something as part of something that I already carry all the time without fail. Sort of like a keychain knife. I'll always have my wallet so a sheath is something else to think about and carry.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Very Nice, my wallet is filled to the brim with everything cept money.....That said I have been known to slip a Titanium Kiridashi right behind the credit cards....Doc:)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Neat idea but maybe you'd be better off with a Brous Blades Silent Soldier or something from Fred Perrin instead of the Esee Candiru. With the Candiru handle sticking out a store clerk might think you're trying to rob the place when you innocently pay for your groceries, lol. With the smaller blade it will be hidden and you can tie a cool lanyard to it.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Studey

Post by Studey »

Evil D wrote:
Studey wrote:Cool! Another option would be using something like .06" kydex.
Yeah, I could have made a leather sheath too, and it did come with a nylon sheath. But, the point was to have something as part of something that I already carry all the time without fail. Sort of like a keychain knife. I'll always have my wallet so a sheath is something else to think about and carry.

I meant that you make a super thin sheath and attach it (glue, whatever) inside of the wallet. Same idea, just a more robust method of protecting the blade and retaining the knife. Still, a cool idea.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Inspired by EvilD: Todays EDC carry deep concealment choice was a Custom Made Titanium Kiridashi inside the old leather Business Card Case...(for those times when you need to take care of business)...Doc:)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's pretty sweet!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Fantastic idea and execution. Got the wheels turning even though I have very little need for a fixed blade on a day to day basis.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

akaAK wrote:Fantastic idea and execution. Got the wheels turning even though I have very little need for a fixed blade on a day to day basis.

Realistically I don't either. I haven't used it one time. But, I also don't need S110V steel for an EDC, or half the other knives I have for that matter. Aren't hobbies fun? :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Funny I have very little need for a folding knife on a daily basis....Doc :p
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Evil - They are, I have an old wallet I am eying to work on as an option for a swick. I have been carrying my forum native (a frn native was one of my first spydies) and just thinking that the new one is overkill for anything I really need a knife for. That being said I could be spending money on a lot worse things.

Dr. Snubnose - I have seen your EDC pictures, I think you mean you have very little need for another folding knife on a daily basis. LOL
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm really happy with how it turned out so far. I honestly can't even tell the knife is in my wallet, there's no perceivable difference until I pull the wallet out and feel that loop sticking out. The wallet obviously weighs a bit more but it's only like 1.7oz, which is basically the difference between payday and a day before payday :p

I'm debating on buying one of the larger full size biker wallets like this one and seeing if I can fit an Izula in it.