Cutting boards

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Cutting boards

Post by MacLaren »

Just bought a hand made Curly Maple w/Heartwood.
Had considered Bamboo, but just really liked the idea of Curly Maple. Would love to hear what everyone else is using....
Evil D

Re: Cutting boards

Post by Evil D »

Mine are all bamboo, which I hear is a bad idea because of high amounts of silicon, which will dull your blade apparently. I've also heard you should avoid boards that are made up of several strips of wood glued together, because the glue is abrasive and will also dull the blade. That said, my boards are both bamboo and glued LOL. It hasn't been a big deal really, not like I've noticed my kitchen knives getting dull any faster than normal. In a perfect world I would want a large cut of a single piece of wood, such as a slice from a large tree trunk and then cut/shape it to size. But, realistically my cheapo bamboo boards are working just fine.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hear ya David. My cousin swears by Bamboo. He does a lot of cutting on it too. That being said, I just couldnt turn down that slab of curly maple. Looks to be end grain too. Ill keep this thread updated seeing as ill be trying out my new Tojiro on it. That baby is screamin sharp. We'll see for how long though.
Last edited by MacLaren on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mine is Oak. I have a bunch of poly boards too. I use the poly for some things so I can dishwash them or bleach them but for most stuff I use my Oak board. I once worried about wood being porous and not being safe but if you keep it oiled and clean then the tannins in the wood take care of the rest. I think keeping it oiled is very important. I worked in a kitchen for a long time so I got used to poly boards but I have broke myself of that and use mostly wood now. They both work for me. My theory is that as long as you aren't using your counter or a slab of granite you are doing fine. I found a board that is the size of one of my counters and it is on the end and it fits well and makes a good station for a right handed person right next to the stove.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Great pics Darby.....thanx :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Burmese Teak...and a few smaller bamboo ones...
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

I've heard good things about Chinese chopping blocks. The end grain ones are supposed to be easier on knife edges in addition to being naturally anti-bacterial.

akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I've moved away from wood to poly boards for the ease of cleaning (dishwasher mostly) as mentioned above. I have one bamboo board left that I will use occasionally. I don't (and didn't when using wood) really see a significant dulling of my kitchen knife edge (touch up once every two months usually) and I use the same 10 inch chef almost exclusively, on a daily basis.

That was the first kitchen knife I bought 24 years ago and still the one I reach for.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I use Polypropylene cutting boards personally, ease of cleaning and it's the same material that is used in Butcher shops, meat departments etc.

Easy to clean. :)
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Pine for me
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:Mine are all bamboo, which I hear is a bad idea because of high amounts of silicon, which will dull your blade apparently. I've also heard you should avoid boards that are made up of several strips of wood glued together, because the glue is abrasive and will also dull the blade. That said, my boards are both bamboo and glued LOL. It hasn't been a big deal really, not like I've noticed my kitchen knives getting dull any faster than normal.
David,

Please do not take this as a sarcasm. May be this is normal because you always was using bamboo?
At our home we always were using some plastic boards, which are good because they soft and always can put in dishwasher after you cut meat or fish. But after I bought my first decent kitchen knife (Kanetsune 8" Gyuto) I decide to research boards. There were many discussions about this on kitchen knives forums.
As far as I remember, the best cutting boards are coming from Japan and made from some special woods by craftsmen, who's families made these boards for generations. I remember that one professional chef mentioned that this is what they are using at work. And there is no equal to these boards. Each board cost thousands of $$. So at home he is using much more affordable boards made in US by John Boos. So I bought one of these several years ago. Very good size 12x18". 1.5" thick (so you can sand, if you need). Maple. It was less $50 delivered from Amazon. I am happy. BTW, my Kanetsune is the most used knife on our kitchen and we use it for at least seven years. I didn't reprofile it yet. It razor sharp, much sharper than most of my pocket knives and I am touching it up on my sharpmaker may once every 2-3 month.
Just wanted to add, there are many custom made cutting boards, they are beautiful, but certainly out of my price range. You can find good selection from Boos and than just search for the best price.
http://www.johnboos.com/product_group.a ... rp=JBC0051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bh49 wrote:
Evil D wrote:Mine are all bamboo, which I hear is a bad idea because of high amounts of silicon, which will dull your blade apparently. I've also heard you should avoid boards that are made up of several strips of wood glued together, because the glue is abrasive and will also dull the blade. That said, my boards are both bamboo and glued LOL. It hasn't been a big deal really, not like I've noticed my kitchen knives getting dull any faster than normal.
David,

Please do not take this as a sarcasm. May be this is normal because you always was using bamboo?
At our home we always were using some plastic boards, which are good because they soft and always can put in dishwasher after you cut meat or fish. But after I bought my first decent kitchen knife (Kanetsune 8" Gyuto) I decide to research boards. There were many discussions about this on kitchen knives forums.
As far as I remember, the best cutting boards are coming from Japan and made from some special woods by craftsmen, who's families made these boards for generations. I remember that one professional chef mentioned that this is what they are using at work. And there is no equal to these boards. Each board cost thousands of $$. So at home he is using much more affordable boards made in US by John Boos. So I bought one of these several years ago. Very good size 12x18". 1.5" thick (so you can sand, if you need). Maple. It was less $50 delivered from Amazon. I am happy. BTW, my Kanetsune is the most used knife on our kitchen and we use it for at least seven years. I didn't reprofile it yet. It razor sharp, much sharper than most of my pocket knives and I am touching it up on my sharpmaker may once every 2-3 month.
Just wanted to add, there are many custom made cutting boards, they are beautiful, but certainly out of my price range. You can find good selection from Boos and than just search for the best price.
http://www.johnboos.com/product_group.a ... rp=JBC0051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could be entirely right. I have had other wood type boards but that was a long time ago. I don't even remember where the bamboo boards came from LOL.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

With Maple its akin to Darts if you will-
The knife just sinks in between strands of the wood, therefor not dulling nearly as easy.
Thats how I understand it to be anyways.