Should I be embarrassed ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TheRaven

Should I be embarrassed ?

Post by TheRaven »

I don't like to talk about it, but sometimes I EDC a Cold Steel.

--Mini recon in XHP.

I kind of equate Lynn Thompson to a mall ninja and all his knives say made in Taiwan instead of made in the USA.

CS just doesn't have the same cachet as something like a spyderco.

Is it safe to come out of the closet, or do I keep hiding??
bearfacedkiller

Re: Should I be embarrassed ?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Lynn may be a little different but he certainly is an exceptional person in many ways. People bust on Lynn because of his weight and his company's marketing but he ain't no mall ninja. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/FKI1xmtf5Ck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't mess with him.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't think someone should ever be embarrassed for buying a product. If it speaks to them and they enjoy it that's perfectly good capitalism. :)
The way I figure the haters/lovers aren't footing the bill so who cares what they think? It's easier to try and please yourself than them anyways.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

No, I wouldn't be embarrassed to carry a Cold Steel--or any other brand for that matter. At the end of the day, you have to do what's right by you. :) If you're OK with it, who's to say that it's wrong?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry a Kershaw Leek quite often and I am not afraid to admit it. :D Carry what you like.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Awesome comments!
.....from a guy who just did a thread about a Kizer :eek:

Seriously though, i couldnt agree more.

Sometimes, most all times it makes me appreciate Spyderco even more...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, life is too short to care what the internet thinks about your decisions. If you're happy that's all that matters. If I wasn't so utterly bored with backlocks in general, and if so many of CS's designs weren't over the top Mad Max looking designs, I would probably own at least a couple. The biggest killer for me though are those thumb studs.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:Eh, life is too short to care what the internet thinks about your decisions. If you're happy that's all that matters. If I wasn't so utterly bored with backlocks in general, and if so many of CS's designs weren't over the top Mad Max looking designs, I would probably own at least a couple. The biggest killer for me though are those thumb studs.
You and me both. I cannot stand thumb-stud openers. :( (Which is a big reason why I don't carry my Sebenza).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What can I say, Spyderco has spoiled me with thumb holes. I would even adjust to an oval/etc type hole like Strider and many others have done, but I can't do studs. The only reason I can live with my ZT is that it's also a flipper and the studs double as a blade stop and are out of the way of slicing.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I will be honest. I think Lynn Thompson is one of the greatest knife designers in human history and I do like many but not all of his knives and the knives designed by others who work with him. You should try out the Survival Edge, it uses German 4116 Super Stainless Steel and has a hollow polymer handle. Also, the Cold Steel Finn Wolf folder is superb, it has a Scandi Edge, and, some of his other knives. The TriAd Lock designed by Andrew Demko is amazing. I really and I mean REALLY like Spyderco and Cold Steel is excellent.

The Cold Steel Scimitar Folder is a beautiful work of art. I do prefer the thumb hole to the thumb stud, however.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Prepare to be banned! :eek:

Just kidding, carry whatever you want. :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cold Steel makes some good knives, some of which have been shamelessly copied by more respected companies. Go figure. Now they have upped their game, introducing BD1 in their low end knives, CTS-XHP in many of their folders, and 3V in their fixed blades. They also have started using S35VN. So, any Spydie nut can appreciate Cold Steel's new offerings. I posted a video, here, showing their cut test of their heat treated CTS-XHP. Pretty good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I CAST YOU OUT, FOUL MONSTER!!

(Just kidding. It's cool if you sometimes EDC a C.S.)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I will also add this: After carrying and using the Spyderco Pacific Salt and Spyderco Enduras, there is no competition. Spyder blades outdo `em ALL. Even (I am shocked to see myself say this) the Swedish EKA knives. Spyderco Pac Salt and Endura and even the Delica and Native are much better.