Rousey vs. Corriea

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Rousey vs. Corriea

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Well, Ronda delivered...
Evil D

Re: Rousey vs. Corriea

Post by Evil D »

Yeah, lets see that chick run her mouth now.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

All that smack and then poops the bed in 34 seconds! The funny thing is Corriea said she wouldn't stand and trade with her. Ronda might just be the most dominant athlete on the planet
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

twinboysdad wrote: Ronda might just be the most dominant athlete on the planet
Aside from the woman who beat her for judo gold and of course the monster that was Gabi Garcia in BJJ.

There are many women athletes who have dominated their sports to a far greater extent, even in combat sports. Look up Cecilia Brækhus, 27-0 and holds the IBF, WBA, WBC, WBO, and IBO welterweight titles. Has defended them since '09 and has three times Rhonda's fights. Even Holly Holm has a more impressive resume than Rhona. Holly is an 18 time wold champion in three different weight classes across multiple divisions. Imagine if Rhona fought for 30 more fights, when down a weight class and took that belt from Johanna, then went up and fought Chris Cyborg at 145 and took that belt and defended them a couple of dozen times. That would make her equal to Holly Holm who refused to fight Cecilia.

As for the trash talking, they get paid to hype the fights. Even the king of the mouth, Chael admitted it was all for show though he never broke kayfabe while fighting. I really doubt Rhonda is that naive she actually takes it personal especially when she is a fan of pro wrassling and near idolizes the original Rowdy one. She knows that you can't be a heel if you don't have a face (Tate). If Betch didn't act like a mental patient screaming about the four horsewomen and how Rhonda needed to kill herself and she would beat her into the living death then most people would have realized that this fight is a bit silly. Look at Betch's competition win/loss record, she doesn't have one punch ko power, should could not even knock out Bazyler. However they needed a title fight and Betch could sell a cool story "Hey bro, I beat up your friends bro, now I am coming for your souuuuuuuuuuuuuul!."
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My thought on her dominance are that other than this fight, she has arm barred all opponents. Opponents who have trained with men on nothing but avoiding the arm bar and yet they still get arm barred.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

twinboysdad wrote:My thought on her dominance are that other than this fight, she has arm barred all opponents.
No she hasn't, you might not want to take Zuffa marketing material as fact.

Her fights have also had very close moments where it could have easily have went another way. When she fought Carmouche she gave up her back and Liz quickly snaked her arm around for the choke. Rhonda slammed her head down and the arm raced to get under her chin and missed. What could have been a choke turned into a face crank which is just a pain hold. However that kind of situation if repeated a few times could have went the other way. Hence why six fights in the UFC doesn't compare to ~40 fights in the boxing majors across multiple weight classes and ~20 title defenses. If Rhonda can maintain her winning ways for another 30 fights in the UFC, take both Johanna's and Cyborg's belts and defend them, then she claim to be on par with other women martial champions.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Cyborg has a crank for all I can tell. That is one enhanced human being. I know lots of MMA combatants juice and even ones who do not look like they do get caught, but Cris Cyborg is to MMA what Barry Bonds is to baseball. Before you think I want to get into this further, I do not watch women's MMA ever except Rousey and not because of hype but because of my own judo background. I fast forward every other women's fight.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I honestly have no idea what this thread is about.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

11831747_1036912602987082_7168958483983222665_n.jpg
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The minimal amount of trash talk was what I really liked about women's combative sports before. Seems like that's no longer the case.

Anyway, good win by Rousey again. She is dominant.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

TomAiello wrote:I honestly have no idea what this thread is about.
I've deduced that this was a MMA fight between women, but beyond that, I'm with you.
Cliff Stamp wrote:
twinboysdad wrote: Ronda might just be the most dominant athlete on the planet
Aside from the woman who beat her for judo gold and of course the monster that was Gabi Garcia in BJJ.
It's impossible to compare athletes across disciplines, so statements like this have crossed over into hyperbole. It may be fun to debate back and forth, but really there's no answer.

For instance, Kim Rhode is the only American to have won medals in 5 consecutive Olympic games in an individual event. In her last Olympics she won with a record score of 99 (I assume the highest possible is 100?). Her event is trap/skeet shooting, but I think most people would concede that being in the Olympics qualifies you as an athlete.

Any time athlete dominance is mentioned, I always make sure to bring up Aleksandr Karelin, who was is probably still the most terrifying athlete of all time. He was a greco-roman wrestler, and went 13 years without losing a match and 6 without even giving up a point. He is quoted as saying: "I train every day of my life as they [his competitors] have never trained a day in theirs."
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

tvenuto wrote: It's impossible to compare athletes across disciplines...
The question is only impossible to answer when it is undefined.

-Who is a better athlete?

Is an impossible question because how is better determined? It might as well ask who is a flubber athlete.

However the question of dominance usually means something like who has been able to defeat the highest quality of opponents consistently. Imagine for example if you started the "universe champion arm wrestling" and only invited five year old kids. You win every year for the next 20 years. Does anyone consider you as a dominant athlete? No, because your competition level is very low.

This is why for example that even though you have athletes like JAG who were very dominant outside of the UFC a lot of people were skeptical because of the quality of opponents. RIn Naki being an even more example of the same thing. What happen when they finally came into the UFC? That dominance quickly disappeared.

The part which is interesting then is how do you determine the "quality" of an opponent? Many people have realized this is actually the same question asked again, it thus points to an iterative solution. A basic starting point is to look at win loss ratio's and then weight the results by title fights (championships), match lengths, and so on.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
tvenuto wrote: It's impossible to compare athletes across disciplines...
The question is only impossible to answer when it is undefined.

-Who is a better athlete?

Is an impossible question because how is better determined? It might as well ask who is a flubber athlete.

However the question of dominance usually means something like who has been able to defeat the highest quality of opponents consistently. Imagine for example if you started the "universe champion arm wrestling" and only invited five year old kids. You win every year for the next 20 years. Does anyone consider you as a dominant athlete? No, because your competition level is very low.

This is why for example that even though you have athletes like JAG who were very dominant outside of the UFC a lot of people were skeptical because of the quality of opponents. RIn Naki being an even more example of the same thing. What happen when they finally came into the UFC? That dominance quickly disappeared.

The part which is interesting then is how do you determine the "quality" of an opponent? Many people have realized this is actually the same question asked again, it thus points to an iterative solution. A basic starting point is to look at win loss ratio's and then weight the results by title fights (championships), match lengths, and so on.

But then it's also fair to say you never truly saw what a person is capable if they were never truly challenged. I think Rousey is in this boat right now. She's had some ok opponents, but obviously not on par with her skill level. She hasn't really been challenged yet. The same thing happened with Mike Tyson, at least until he squared up with Hollyfield and found he couldn't finish the fight in the first round, then he was finally tested and showed he couldn't go the distance.

Regardless, you can all but guarantee that the Rousey/Cyborg fight will happen. Then we'll see who's who.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm not one for newspapers but I find it hard to believe that they've not only invented cyborgs but also have decided to allow them to compete in sports against humans. This thread really is mind boggling.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Evil D wrote: But then it's also fair to say you never truly saw what a person is capable if they were never truly challenged. I think Rousey is in this boat right now.
In Tate II. in the first round Tate staggered Rhonda several times forcing Rhonda to retreat, become defense and look for a takedown. Tate reversed several positions, secured top against Rhonda and took her down from the feet directly. Did Rhonda win the fight, yes, but it took three rounds and she was in danger several times.

In that fight Tate landed dozes of significant strikes and these are people fighting, it only takes one landing the right way. How did Matt Serra defeat GSP who is arguably the greatest MMA of all time, easily in his weight class and maybe outside of it. Because it only takes solid hit to stagger someone and in MAA there are no standing 8 counts and that is all it takes.

Rhonda has has 6 fights in the show. In comparison in other combat sports (Judo, Wrestling, Boxing) champions assemble records which can be 50 to 150 fights and dominate at that level. A six fight win streak in wrestling won't even get someone to look twice. Cael Sanderson went 119-0. Garcia is on a 15 fight win streak this year alone submitting people at the world level in BJJ.
Regardless, you can all but guarantee that the Rousey/Cyborg fight will happen. Then we'll see who's who.
Cyborg was taken down and mounted by Gina Carano. Like Betch she has a marketing machine behind her. If Rhonda stands and trades with her then it is in Cyborg's favor simply because Cyborg simply has the experience but Rhnoda will more likely to a Lesner scramble. It is likely Rhonda isn't going to be that silly and will be defensive to take her down and on the ground it isn't competitive.

Tate III, Zingao II or Holly Holm all pose serious threats to Rhonda. Holm especially if she circles, plays the jab and works on the sprawl and avoiding the trip could be a point problem for Rhonda. What should would have to be willing to do is stall from the bottom and play for a stand up as she is going to get there eventually.

The problem is that most people watch Zingano I and conclude there is no point to the second one, but just look at Serra vs GSP and apply the same logic. Fights have a huge random factor, look at Cain vs Junior I vs II and III.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TomAiello wrote:I honestly have no idea what this thread is about.
Haha! You are not alone. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Having seen the video of these two fine, athletic ladies beating the seven kinds of shinola out of each other I came a couple of simple conclusions:

1. I'd last about 0.34 seconds in the ring with either of them- the curling into a ball and crying like a child on my part would definately count as a TKO

2. If either of them told me to do the dishes, wash the car, paint the bedroom (etc) that would be done before they finished the sentence :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

^^^ Ahem... Well... Wait a minute. Now what were we talking about again?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Whatever happened to arm wrestling? Shame to have these pretty girls beating the pulp out of each other.....Maybe even leg wrestling could be fun.....mud wrestling?.....Doc:)