Has Anyone Else Moved to Windows 10 on a PC yet?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Has Anyone Else Moved to Windows 10 on a PC yet?

Post by The Deacon »

Went from Win 7 to Win 10 yesterday on my desktop PC. There are a few things I'll need to get use to, and some I'm sure I'll be able to change once more information becomes available, but I expected that. Overall, it went very smoothly. All my software works, except my desktop clock widget, which I do miss. Just wondering if anyone else has made the switch, or planned to, and how those who have like it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Re: Has Anyone Else Moved to Windows 10 on a PC yet?

Post by Donut »

From what I've read about SLI issues of Microsoft forcing automatic update of drivers with Nvidia graphics cards, I am delaying it until I hear some solutions.

That and the upgrade app doesn't say mine is ready yet.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Haven't got it yet, but plan on it for sure. :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Went from W8 to W10 today without issues- Hit go, let it do it's thing for 2 hours and played Borderlands on my X-Box One. :)

I've got my flipping "Start" button back.

I'm sold. :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I have Windows8 with a "Start is back" plugin making it like Windows 7. As I understand I could have done this with patches but was so annoyed at Microsoft I figured I would wait it out.

Once the early adopters test the waters I'll follow at a safe distance. :p
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I'm on the list and waiting for the next round of updates. I hope it goes smoothly, I'm not a fan of my current system.

Dan
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'm playing the skeptic and exercising patience on this one, I think I'll wait until it has been out a few months and see what other issues arise. I hope you all that have installed it paid attention to the default privacy settings it uses and turned off features that are overly intrusive. I've read lots of warnings about that.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I have three candidate machines but haven't taken the leap just yet.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I am also on the list. I look forward to it and being able to voice command my laptop via Cortana.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I went to W10 couple days ago. Upgrade was easy and I hate W8 so much that cannot imagine any worse. So far everything is fine. Computer did crash yet. W8 and W8.1 loved to do that. Interface is close to W8.1 but in addition you have start menu and start button
Donut wrote:From what I've read about SLI issues of Microsoft forcing automatic update of drivers with Nvidia graphics cards, I am delaying it until I hear some solutions.
My card is NVidia GeForce GT 635. No problem so far.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

My take is from a deployment perspective across an enterprise but I think some of you could benifit from my findings and different deployment technics.
Disclaimer: All my testing is with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, I could not in good conscience deploy Windows 8 or 8.1 in a business environment.
First run was a simple upgrade from MS notification. It went pretty smooth and the machine was serviceable, functional and activated. However, with some low spec machine configurations, they where left mostly unusable. In this case I tested the Recovery tool located in the control panel. Using this method after an upgrade will basically perform a "clean install" and remove any offending settings and programs leaving you with an install to a clean partition. Most of the low spec machines where serviceable, functional and all where activated.
Next I tried upgrading from a Window 10 image I download from MS. I got mine from my MSDN account but there are ways to legally obtain these images publicly. When the download completed I used the MS Store Windows 7 USB/DVD tool and built a flash drive. Upgrade was way faster and netted same results as MS notification method.
Now for those that use Macs, I have successfully upgraded an activated Windows 7 in both virtual machine environments with Fusion and Parallels...no fuss. Also have used Recovery to demonstrate a "clean install" in both VM environments without losing activation as well.
Next is BootCamp, and again...no fuss with MS Notification and flash drive upgrade methods but it left a hidden folder on the C:/ drive named windows.old that is a backup of your old installation, I suspect that this will be the case in all upgrade scenarios PC or Mac so if you are in an environment where disk space is critical, a Recovery "clean install" may be the best method for you.
All in all I'm pretty impressed with the rollout so far. These are my experiences, keep in mind that in a non-controlled PC world of endless machine configurations...anything can happen, do your homework and BACKUP all sensitive data before you jump in. Good Luck!
Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote:
Donut wrote:From what I've read about SLI issues of Microsoft forcing automatic update of drivers with Nvidia graphics cards, I am delaying it until I hear some solutions.
My card is NVidia GeForce GT 635. No problem so far.
I have two Geforce GTX 650's and I hear people are having issues with two cards.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

All you complaining about the "Start" button....haven't known about "Classic Shell", the add on for Windows that gives you that back? :confused:

I've been using it the last couple years myself.

http://www.classicshell.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donut

Post by Donut »

There are some privacy issue things on the news today. Probably worth a read.

http://boingboing.net/2015/08/03/window ... ylogg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

enduraguy wrote:All you complaining about the "Start" button....haven't known about "Classic Shell", the add on for Windows that gives you that back? :confused:

Clearly not- I'm a 'plug'n'play' kinda guy when it comes to computers....I'm like that 67 year old granny who takes her little 2-door to the local garage and has zero idea of the things that may (or may not) be happening under the hood- so long as it starts when I turn the key- I'm golden ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:There are some privacy issue things on the news today. Probably worth a read.

http://boingboing.net/2015/08/03/window ... ylogg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably, worth reading, but probably worth taking with a good sized grain of salt as well. There's a fine line between being cautious and just being paranoid.

Example: What he says about it switching your default browser to Edge (the new IE) is simply not true, at least not in my case using Thunderbird for my email and Firefox as my default browser. Win 10 never even asked if I wanted to switch browsers or email clients, it just put all the application icons I had pinned to the taskbar back where I had them, although it did make the Edge icon the topmost application icon. The taskbar itself stayed positioned where I had it, along the left edge of the screen.

I did opt out of most of the "snooping", but I think many of the privacy issues are of more concern to phone and tablet users than to someone like me, working from a fixed location. I turned "sharing" off, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an issue for me anyway on the PC, since I don't use any of Microsoft's email, calendar, or chat apps.

If I could just find a desktop clock to replace the one from "Win 7 gadgets", and figure out a way to get back the "old style" look and feel for applications (the squared off corners look like a throwback to Win 3.1), I'd be quite happy with Win 10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's true, there seem to be a lot of news articles today that say the same thing, though.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

enduraguy wrote:All you complaining about the "Start" button....haven't known about "Classic Shell", the add on for Windows that gives you that back? :confused:

Nope, I didn't know about that. I had other issues with 8.1, and put my 8.1 computer back in the box after a couple of days. I may get it back out and upgrade it to 10 just to see if it fixes any of the other problems.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I agree about Classic Shell, works great and makes Windows 8 so much better :).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As a general rule I stay away from new OS's for quite a while after they've been released. This helps me avoid all the issues. I'm on 7 now and don't see or feel any need to change yet. Heck I was on XP until a little over a year ago.