To the Hunters on Here

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
PocketZen

To the Hunters on Here

Post by PocketZen »

I was lucky enough to draw a Cow Elk tag for this fall and will be going out for the first time. I am super excited. I plan to take my Spyderco Super Blue Stretch and either my CruWear or Super Blue Mule.

My Question is, What type of edge do you like on your hunting knife?
- What Grit do you stop at?
- Do you prefer a more acute, Low degrees per side (DPS) edge or somewhat higher like 15+ DPS

Thank you all for anything you would like to share!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: To the Hunters on Here

Post by Doc Dan »

I like about 15 on each side. This give me a fine enough edge for good cutting, but still durable enough in case I encounter bone, debris in hair, etc. I have also used 20 per side. I cannot say what grit on the SB as I do not have a knife in that steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well.. The only animal I hunt are rabbits (beagler).. And as anyone who has ever shot a rabbit and skinned/gutted it knows that you really don't need a knife as they are thin skinned.. But being a knifey, you never know what will be in my pocket, around my neck or hanging from my belt when I show up.. I have used everything from my fingers to a custom RW Wilson with a 4in blade.. I sharpen my hunting blades to 22-25.. Sorry for the story and not being much help... But.. Ya know!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Pocketzen, for processing game I like an edge that has some bite. A fine polished edge will tend to just slide on hair and hide. To check for bite get some manila rope from Lowe's or a hardware store and do some cutting. If you get the edge right it will cut clean and leave a shiny side to the cut and make a "scrunch" sound on a draw. With some cutting you will soon see what I mean. 30 inclusive is a good place to start and go for less depending on how it acts on the rope cut. I like a diamond plate or SC Norton medium or fine stone. A diamond at 600 grit is about right. A Cow elk is not a large as a bull but still a pretty good chore to process. Try to stay away from cutting direct on bone and make cuts from the inside so you are not always cutting through hair. You will be surprised how fast hair and hide on an elk can take the edge off . This is test for a good knife. A lot of good clean and lean meat. Good luck and let us know how your hunt goes. Phil
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Have not done much skinning myself, but have helped Cousin Dave and his son process half a dozen feral swine at a time. (We have a corral trap and have caught as many as 22 at one time. I give the rest to a local fellow.) They each have several knives and bring their sharpening stone with them to freshen the edges during the processing as needed. I bought a Bill Moran so the next time we skin those noble beasts I will not be knife shamed.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

Doc Dan wrote:I like about 15 on each side. This give me a fine enough edge for good cutting, but still durable enough in case I encounter bone, debris in hair, etc. I have also used 20 per side. I cannot say what grit on the SB as I do not have a knife in that steel.
Thanks Doc Dan. That is helpful. I appreciate your experience.
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

jmh58 wrote:Well... I have used everything from my fingers to a custom RW Wilson with a 4in blade.. I sharpen my hunting blades to 22-25.. Sorry for the story and not being much help... But.. Ya know!! :D John :)
Ideas are help. Thanks
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

Phil Wilson wrote:Pocketzen, for processing game I like an edge that has some bite. A fine polished edge will tend to just slide on hair and hide. To check for bite get some manila rope from Lowe's or a hardware store and do some cutting. If you get the edge right it will cut clean and leave a shiny side to the cut and make a "scrunch" sound on a draw. With some cutting you will soon see what I mean. 30 inclusive is a good place to start and go for less depending on how it acts on the rope cut. I like a diamond plate or SC Norton medium or fine stone. A diamond at 600 grit is about right. A Cow elk is not a large as a bull but still a pretty good chore to process. Try to stay away from cutting direct on bone and make cuts from the inside so you are not always cutting through hair. You will be surprised how fast hair and hide on an elk can take the edge off . This is test for a good knife. A lot of good clean and lean meat. Good luck and let us know how your hunt goes. Phil
Hello Phil Wilson,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and a very practical way for me to test the edge. That's extremely helpful! I will pick up that rope and use my dmt plates down to 600grit (red) on the CruWear mule. Then test and go from there. :D PZ
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

Mad Mac wrote:I bought a Bill Moran so the next time we skin those noble beasts I will not be knife shamed.

Hard to be knife shamed when you have a :spyder: